Author Topic: Fire Dave Martinez - Camel Derangement Syndrome  (Read 35609 times)

bluestreak, dcpatti and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline skippy1999

Martinez will be MLB's Steve Kerr.

Wait-that’s good, right?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• Nats "hitting"
If you like winning championships it is.

Offline aBaltoNat

If you like winning championships it is.

I don't know if I do or not. WVU or the Nats have never won one....so I couldn't tell you.

Offline tzinc

that camel stunt was bush league
what a drop off from Dusty
sounds like players were rolling their eyes

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
that camel stunt was bush league
what a drop off from Dusty
sounds like players were rolling their eyes

That's what you think. Wait until October, game five, the players are going to think back to Palm Beach and rally to get over the hump.

Offline LoveAngelos

After this year's  World Series win a boudin of camels will lead the team  victory parade down half street. The next day the Nats will deliver to Peter Angelos a cord of camel poo.

As the old saying goes
"Once you go camel........the sheep can stop worrying "

• Nats "hitting"
I just hope DMart lasts long enough that I can create a "Who Said/Did It: Washington Nationals Manager Davey Martinez or The Office character Michael Scott?" Sporcle quiz.

Offline skippy1999

Ok aside from the decidedly stupid camel idea has he done/said anything else that makes you think "oh man we're sunk with this guy"? I mean the camel is the only strike against him so far, right??

Offline Count Walewski

Mount Vernon has a "Christmas camel" every December to attract more tourists during the cold times, right? Most of the big ren faires in the area seem to have camels. I think there's just one camel that lives somewhere in Maryland and gets all these gigs.

Online dcpatti

Mount Vernon has a "Christmas camel" every December to attract more tourists during the cold times, right? Most of the big ren faires in the area seem to have camels. I think there's just one camel that lives somewhere in Maryland and gets all these gigs.

they do a live nativity at the little plaza across from columbia heights metro and it is just weird as heck to see a freakin camel chillin next to the t-mobile store and the pollo campero.

Offline Five Banners

they do a live nativity at the little plaza across from columbia heights metro and it is just weird as heck to see a freakin camel chillin next to the t-mobile store and the pollo campero.

That explains why they change the name of the special New Year's Week to Camel Campero.

Offline Optics

I don't see the big deal about the camel thing. I mean its spring training, EARLY spring training. Nothing wrong with setting a fun and lax atmosphere.

In 2016 Joe Maddon printed out shirts for the Cubs that said something like "lets not suck this year" to kinda temper things down with the high expectations. I don't think our expectations are 2016 Cubs high, but there definitely is pressure to win. I'm fine with Davey making sure guys are loose and relaxed from day one.

Ultimately though its about whether he can get guys to not choke up in October.

Online varoadking

• This is Howie do it...
Nothing wrong with setting a fun and lax atmosphere.

Seth Romero says hi...

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Seth Romero says hi...

If I had to attend daily Circle of Trust meetings I'd have curfew issues as well.

Offline Optics

Seth Romero says hi...

Romero had issues beforehand.

I'm not sure "crack the whip" managers really succeed in baseball. Too much of a grind to have to put up with that rah rah rah stuff every day.

Online UMDNats

• 2018 nationals
Seth Romero says hi...

he was punished for breaking a rule...

• Nats "hitting"
Ok aside from the decidedly stupid camel idea has he done/said anything else that makes you think "oh man we're sunk with this guy"? I mean the camel is the only strike against him so far, right??

I don't have any strong feelings about him either way, really.  The only people genuinely freaking out about him are total morons.

I just find it amusing that between "the circle of trust" and the camel thing that he actually sounds like a character from The Office.

Offline skippy1999

I don't have any strong feelings about him either way, really.  The only people genuinely freaking out about him are total morons.

I just find it amusing that between "the circle of trust" and the camel thing that he actually sounds like a character from The Office.

gotcha.  I guess I was just so convinced he was the manager this team needed that if he flames out it'll just be like ok, now what?  :(

Online dracnal

gotcha.  I guess I was just so convinced he was the manager this team needed that if he flames out it'll just be like ok, now what?  :(

My take on it is to wait until we're two months in before I decide what to think of him. I'll have seen enough in game situations where I'd expect a manager to protect a player, enough post game interviews after hard fought losses, interviews after stupid losses, and interviews where they just got lucky to get a sense of him.  I'll also see how the team looks in the dugout.

Davey and Dusty succeeded in keeping the guys loose. Davey less so in the second year, but he was clearly exhausted at that point. Regardless, the team is at its best when it's loose and they're all having fun. The more they feel pressure, the more they press and tighten up. I think Martinez's camel stunt was just a goofy way to say 'lighten the freak up under pressure guys. there's a reason you got here four times in six years.'

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Walk-off practice, what a clown.

Offline rileyn

Spring training is too damn long for most guys anyways.  Who cares if they have a camel or walk off practice or go to the Daytona 500?  Just get some clutch hits in October for crying out loud.  3 managers have already gone down in flames due to our collective lack of a clutch gene.  Next.

Offline LoveAngelos

Since Loboton is gone I hope the new guy in charge of removing players batting helmets as after they hit a home run gets time for some batting helmet removal drills

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Since Loboton is gone I hope the new guy in charge of removing players batting helmets as after they hit a home run gets time for some batting helmet removal drills

I'm waiting for the reports on the towel snapping drills.

Offline Ray D

I'm waiting for the reports on the towel snapping drills.
Maybe they bring in Ray McDonald as a coach.

Online NatsAllThe Way

• Your 2018 Washington Nationals
Rumour has it tomorrow they're going to practice bench-clearing brawls.  Hopefully not too many guys wind up on the DL.