Author Topic: Fire Dave Martinez - 85.7% Playoff Probability  (Read 145533 times)

Online Slateman

Re: Fire Dave Martinez
« Reply #6150: July 09, 2019, 02:11:48 PM »
For that money they never should have tanked April and most of May. When they were at their lowest I was confident that we had the players to bounce back. Now that we're back I'm sceptical that it's sustainable, particularly when our competition adds players later this month.
Except all the talent was on the IL

Online DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #6151: July 09, 2019, 07:04:26 PM »
What happened to the playoff odds?  :couch:

Online Slateman

« Reply #6152: July 09, 2019, 07:06:22 PM »
0% chance of playoffs

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #6153: July 09, 2019, 07:12:34 PM »

Feel free to start a thread and update them daily.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #6154: July 09, 2019, 07:15:07 PM »
IMO we shouldn't be looking to add big-money this season anyways. if we stay hot the next 2 weeks i may re-consider but a couple middle relievers to bridge the gap could really make a huge difference. i don't think we have the prospect capital or financial flexibility to shoot big so smaller upgrades should be the name of the game - get a good lefty reliever, a reliable middle guy - basically push Grace off the roster and let us cushion Rodney & Rainey from heavy leverage all the time. That and upgrading the 25th man on the roster - a utility guy is a must-get IMO.

Small upgrades, re-sign Rendon, see what happens this year. I think we can be fine in 2020 with the rotation and core we've got. Davey has a lot to prove this year. The Braves will be tough to catch and holding onto a Wild Card spot will be difficult.

Very little cushion to add players this year, next year we have a lot of cap room. Not selling off Harper to get under the cap last year is really hurting us now.

Online DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #6155: July 09, 2019, 07:20:11 PM »
Feel free to start a thread and update them daily.

Translation = the playoff odds are so high right now it's upsetting your wetdream of dumping Dave. :crackup:

Online Slateman

« Reply #6156: July 09, 2019, 07:24:24 PM »
IMO we shouldn't be looking to add big-money this season anyways. if we stay hot the next 2 weeks i may re-consider but a couple middle relievers to bridge the gap could really make a huge difference. i don't think we have the prospect capital or financial flexibility to shoot big so smaller upgrades should be the name of the game - get a good lefty reliever, a reliable middle guy - basically push Grace off the roster and let us cushion Rodney & Rainey from heavy leverage all the time. That and upgrading the 25th man on the roster - a utility guy is a must-get IMO.

Small upgrades, re-sign Rendon, see what happens this year. I think we can be fine in 2020 with the rotation and core we've got. Davey has a lot to prove this year. The Braves will be tough to catch and holding onto a Wild Card spot will be difficult.
The payroll issues arent much better next season.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #6157: July 09, 2019, 07:50:22 PM »
Translation = the playoff odds are so high right now it's upsetting your wetdream of dumping Dave. :crackup:

I had the numbers when they were going up. I never planned to make daily updates for months. Martinez is a moron, he was put in charge of the fourth highest payroll team in MLB, the playoffs are not the goal, anything short of the NLCS is an under performance based on money spent.

Hgh playoff odds don't mean we are going to the playoffs any more than the low odds meant were staying home. Let's see how we do in the games against Atlanta, that will mean more than Fangraphs odds.

I'll also note that I started posting the odds at a low point for the team to show that we were still projected in the mid 40s, to make the point that we were better than our record showed.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Don't give up
« Reply #6158: July 09, 2019, 08:00:41 PM »
I had the numbers when they were going up. I never planned to make daily updates for months. Martinez is a moron, he was put in charge of the fourth highest payroll team in MLB, the playoffs are not the goal, anything short of the NLCS is an under performance based on money spent.

Hgh playoff odds don't mean we are going to the playoffs any more than the low odds meant were staying home. Let's see how we do in the games against Atlanta, that will mean more than Fangraphs odds.

I'll also note that I started posting the odds at a low point for the team to show that we were still projected in the mid 40s, to make the point that we were better than our record showed.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #6159: July 09, 2019, 08:01:14 PM »
We are all in with Davey this year.  There is no turning back.  God help us all. 

Online Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #6160: July 09, 2019, 08:03:48 PM »
If anyone is interested in the playoff odds per FanGraphs, click here.

https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds

But I didn't give a crap when they were down and I don't give a crap now.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #6161: July 09, 2019, 08:13:04 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Apt gif, Martinez promised a WS, I just want an NLCS appearance.

Online Slateman

« Reply #6162: July 09, 2019, 08:26:58 PM »
Apt gif, Martinez promised a WS, I just want an NLCS appearance.
When did Martinez promise a world series?

Online bluestreak

« Reply #6163: July 09, 2019, 11:03:15 PM »
When did Martinez promise a world series?

He did say he was bringing a parade to DC... maybe he was referring to the one the Caps had.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #6164: July 10, 2019, 09:27:00 AM »
He did say he was bringing a parade to DC... maybe he was referring to the one the Caps had.

Just saw Slateman's post when you quoted it.

During Martinez's very first press conference he promised Ted Lerner a World Series and continued to talk about winning it all in interviews. His quote at the SPH hot stove event was that the Nats were going to play in the last World Series game of the year and win it.

Online Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #6165: July 10, 2019, 09:35:23 AM »
Don’t all hires say they’re going to win it all?

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #6166: July 10, 2019, 09:39:59 AM »
Don’t all hires say they’re going to win it all?

No

« Reply #6167: July 10, 2019, 01:16:22 PM »
Bottom line is, you can pick apart Davey's strategic decisions in several situations and his bullpen usage/decisions at times but this team stuck together and still believed at 19-31 when it easily could have folded up at that point when nothing was going right. The manager has to get some credit for that regardless of how much criticism you want to give him otherwise. You can't put the blame on him for 19-31 and then say he has nothing to do with 28-11.

Offline expos1994

« Reply #6168: July 10, 2019, 01:23:18 PM »
Bottom line is, you can pick apart Davey's strategic decisions in several situations and his bullpen usage/decisions at times but this team stuck together and still believed at 19-31 when it easily could have folded up at that point when nothing was going right. The manager has to get some credit for that regardless of how much criticism you want to give him otherwise. You can't put the blame on him for 19-31 and then say he has nothing to do with 28-11.

It so easy to question manager's decisions... especially when things don't work out. If he doesn't pull a pitcher who then pitches out of a jam... he gets little/no credit. But if he leaves that pitcher in and the next batter goes deep... he gets hung out to dry. The in game decisions are always scrutinized. But he's got a team of coaches who help make those decisions.

The thing that I look for in a manager is not the in game stuff. A lot of it is standard anyway (that's why baseball fans are always calling them into question) The thing I like to see is team camaraderie and a winning attitude. And up until May 24th I had not seen that from Davey's Nats teams. But we are seeing it now. And he's moving up a notch in my book. That puts him at notch 1.

Online DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #6169: July 10, 2019, 05:15:45 PM »
If anyone is interested in the playoff odds per FanGraphs, click here.

https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds

But I didn't give a crap when they were down and I don't give a crap now.

Currently at 78% so I can see why the title got changed.  :crackup:

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #6170: July 10, 2019, 05:50:40 PM »

Of course you can. This is a 90-95 win team with an average manager, that's the standard that he signed up for when he came here.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #6171: July 10, 2019, 05:53:02 PM »
Currently at 78% so I can see why the title got changed.  :crackup:

I stopped when it was in the low 30s, why did you wait until now to start complaining?

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Playoff Probability cracked the 80s. No where to go but up. Hopefully Martinez can get his guys to do little things like not making easy outs at third or hustling to get into better position to catch easy pop ups.

Online Slateman

Suzuki just sat there and talked about how smart Martinez is