Author Topic: Fire Dave Martinez - 89.4% Playoff Probability  (Read 146269 times)

Offline dracnal

I don’t know how you guys can’t be sick watching this team. 6 game homestand promptly gets started with a thud. We’re watching the demise of the Washington Nationals at the hands of a hopeless manager. It’s amazing how quickly Davey turned a 97 win team into one of the worst teams in baseball.

Oh it's pretty easy actually. I've decided I won't bother going out of my way to watch a game until they win a series. I figure by June, maybe July I'll watch some more baseball.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Last June, when he was named the team's Managing Principal owner, Mark Lerner wrote: "Since being awarded the team in 2006, my family has taken great pride in our fans and this team. We have always strived for excellence both on and off the field. That will not change. Our family will continue to put our fans first and do everything possible to bring a World Series trophy to D.C." Time to live up to those words.

Absolutely. If Mark is unable to run the team day to day he should hand over the reins.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Last June, when he was named the team's Managing Principal owner, Mark Lerner wrote: "Since being awarded the team in 2006, my family has taken great pride in our fans and this team. We have always strived for excellence both on and off the field. That will not change. Our family will continue to put our fans first and do everything possible to bring a World Series trophy to D.C." Time to live up to those words.

He has since tempered that sentiment...he just wants the team to be "competitive."

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
He has since tempered that sentiment...he just wants the team to be "competitive."

in the sense that we field a nine man team, at least half of whom could play for other teams in the league, I guess we are competitive.

Offline hotshot

I think the flaw is the inability to execute under pressure. Which isn't on Davey, as this has been a "flaw" since 2012.
I always had more confidence in the offenses featuring Morse, LaRoche, Zim, Harper and Werth back in that general time frame.

Online Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I always had more confidence in the offenses featuring Morse, LaRoche, Zim, Harper and Werth back in that general time frame.

I think Soto's regression is really hurting the offense more than anything else. Having Turner back will be huge too.

Offline dracnal

I think so much of it is when players get it in their head that each at bat is absolutely critical and press hard, particularly slap hitters like Difo and Taylor swinging for the fences.  I know there's a camp here that thinks players should absolutely swing with 100% effort, every swing, but it's like golf - you get WAY better results and far more consistent ones when you swing at 80% of max effort.

Dusty's gift was being able to keep players from pressing over the course of a season by reminding them it was a long campaign, it'll even out, etc., just trust your swing and your other teammates. In the playoffs, he couldn't use that line any more and they pressed extra hard across the board.

Martinez doesn't seem to know how to get them to relax, or take accountability, or trust their teammates. The results on the field look like a group of guys who think every pitch, every swing, every throw is do or die. That's ... really, really not good. If they can sweep a series or have a couple of blowouts or late comebacks in a short period, it might help them get their swagger back and relax. Martinez sure as hell won't do it.

Offline aBaltoNat

Oh it's pretty easy actually. I've decided I won't bother going out of my way to watch a game until they win a series. I figure by June, maybe July I'll watch some more baseball.

As I mentioned, haven't spent valuable family time watching a game live for several weeks. Have also not put in a large merchandise order for all four members of my family due to lack of interest.

They need to fix this - I can't be the only one.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Charlie and Dave and getting things done around the house.

Offline dracnal

Charlie and Dave and getting things done around the house.

I need to find a good spot and get a cheap radio. Right now it'd be the main TV room and I don't want to compete with whatever my wife is actually doing. She's honestly really good about the usual every game, every time, we're on MASN watching. This year, I've just taken a sabbatical from it all.

That said, I love me some C&D when I'm at the office (portable radio in my window) or on the road. They make most anything listenable.

Online Slateman

That flaw was more holistic and not just hitting.

This team never seemed to "step on the gas" or "step on their throats." Couldn't shut the door in 2012. Couldn't come back and make a run in 2013. Couldn't hit for crap in 2014. Couldn't come back and make a run ins 2015. Couldn't close the door on the Dodgers in 2016. Flat out choked against the Cubs in 2017. 2018 injuries were a major issue and when everyone got back, the team again couldn't make a run.

Since this team's window opened, they have repeatedly just .... choked. Failed. Been unable to execute in the manner that teams that make deep postseason runs are able to do. Maybe it's a flaw. Maybe it's choking. Maybe it's something else. But ultimately, these teams simply cannot get the job done and never acted with any urgency to do so.

Offline GburgNatsFan

I need to find a good spot and get a cheap radio. Right now it'd be the main TV room and I don't want to compete with whatever my wife is actually doing. She's honestly really good about the usual every game, every time, we're on MASN watching. This year, I've just taken a sabbatical from it all.

That said, I love me some C&D when I'm at the office (portable radio in my window) or on the road. They make most anything listenable.

I use AtBat on my phone. Worth the $20 a year.

Offline GburgNatsFan

I've come around to your way of thinking - or maybe it's just feeling, emotion rather than reason.

The kind of confidence and swagger that pushes through tough situations, it doesn't seem to be there. And at some point, you have to wonder if it's leadership - because that's the consistent thing across the years.. If it is, it's time to make wholesale changes.

That flaw was more holistic and not just hitting.

This team never seemed to "step on the gas" or "step on their throats." Couldn't shut the door in 2012. Couldn't come back and make a run in 2013. Couldn't hit for crap in 2014. Couldn't come back and make a run ins 2015. Couldn't close the door on the Dodgers in 2016. Flat out choked against the Cubs in 2017. 2018 injuries were a major issue and when everyone got back, the team again couldn't make a run.

Since this team's window opened, they have repeatedly just .... choked. Failed. Been unable to execute in the manner that teams that make deep postseason runs are able to do. Maybe it's a flaw. Maybe it's choking. Maybe it's something else. But ultimately, these teams simply cannot get the job done and never acted with any urgency to do so.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I've come around to your way of thinking - or maybe it's just feeling, emotion rather than reason.

The kind of confidence and swagger that pushes through tough situations, it doesn't seem to be there. And at some point, you have to wonder if it's leadership - because that's the consistent thing across the years.. If it is, it's time to make wholesale changes.

If wholesale changes are coming, so be it, but that's for the off-season. The time to move Martinez is now. What if we keep him and the Nats go on a garbage time September run? There will be calls to give him one more year. There should be no hesitation, oust Martinez immediately.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Martinez doesn't seem to know how to get them to relax, or take accountability, or trust their teammates. The results on the field look like a group of guys who think every pitch, every swing, every throw is do or die. That's ... really, really not good. If they can sweep a series or have a couple of blowouts or late comebacks in a short period, it might help them get their swagger back and relax. Martinez sure as hell won't do it.

dave tries to come across as a cool customer but his voice inflections, etc. speak of a man who is puckered up.   Imagine sittin' across a table from him and expecting what he tells you (and how he says it) to help you relax.

Online rileyn

dave tries to come across as a cool customer but his voice inflections, etc. speak of a man who is puckered up.   Imagine sittin' across a table from him and expecting what he tells you (and how he says it) to help you relax.
That's just it....he exudes weakness and almost a victim mentality.  I call him a passenger - he is just along for the ride and to hand out cabbage.  Somebody else called him a spectator.  The bullpen guys hate him.  The starters are pissed.  The regulars are uninspired and just want to be left alone.

Offline imref

He really should have been fired on Monday.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The Onion did an article that the Nats hired a step manager. It's not funny, not worth a click.

https://sports.theonion.com/nationals-gm-introduces-players-to-new-stepmanager-1834791052/amp#click=https://t.co/r38HktD8ZG

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Offline hotshot

I think Soto's regression is really hurting the offense more than anything else. Having Turner back will be huge too.
I agree. Sophomore Slump, or something else (like no protection)? Interesting to see Harper is batting like .220 with many K's, and the fans are booing him.

Offline dracnal

That's just it....he exudes weakness and almost a victim mentality.  I call him a passenger - he is just along for the ride and to hand out cabbage.  Somebody else called him a spectator.  The bullpen guys hate him.  The starters are pissed.  The regulars are uninspired and just want to be left alone.

Yeah - I think you both understand what I'm trying to say and see the same thing. I don't believe it takes a veteran like Girardi to get things done. I think there are plenty of long term managers who couldn't get it done. But I think that inspiring confidence, comfort, and a bit of swagger in their teams is the thing that gets championships. I don't care if we hire another rookie to finish this year for 50$ and a Pina Colada. I just want Martinez gone because he does NOT bring leadership to the team.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
The captain of this lugger
He was a dirty bugger
He wasn't fit to shovel crap
From one place to another

Offline Jon1976

One thing I have noticed more and more as the Nats fall further behind the leaders, is the body language of the players. Once the team gets behind, many of them act like they've either given up or just don't care. It was really noticeable in the Mets game Tues. when they went down early on the GS. In the past in situations like that you got the sense the Nats would just say "ok so they got 4 runs, we'll do the same" and go from there. But Tues. night it felt like when they got behind they just got down in the dumps and were just going through the motions. You can't win a playoff spot in the first two months, but you can dig yourself into a hole that's very difficult to get out of. Something's got to change and soon.

Offline imref

One thing I have noticed more and more as the Nats fall further behind the leaders, is the body language of the players. Once the team gets behind, many of them act like they've either given up or just don't care. It was really noticeable in the Mets game Tues. when they went down early on the GS. In the past in situations like that you got the sense the Nats would just say "ok so they got 4 runs, we'll do the same" and go from there. But Tues. night it felt like when they got behind they just got down in the dumps and were just going through the motions. You can't win a playoff spot in the first two months, but you can dig yourself into a hole that's very difficult to get out of. Something's got to change and soon.

playing in an empty Nats park can't feel good.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Kind of wish we hadn't burned Doolittle in a non save situation yesterday.