Author Topic: Fire Dave Martinez - 79.4% Playoff Probability  (Read 145271 times)

Greg_SRT and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
Except, we're three weeks into the season. Players are going to note if you suddenly bench a veteran over a slump.

Dozier was horrible last year. This isn’t a slump.

Online Slateman

Dozier was horrible last year. This isn’t a slump.
He was hurt last year

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Except, we're three weeks into the season. Players are going to note if you suddenly bench a veteran over a slump.

So what? Martinez isn't here to make everyone happy. But with Turner hurt it might be best to keep Dozier in the lineup. But why not at least drop him down instead of burning a Robles AB every day.

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
He was hurt last year

And 2012-15 when he was largely a .240 hitter?  He’s worse than Kendrick

Offline hotshot

I know it's not gonna happen (yet, at least) but doesn't this team look like the classic case where a change in the manager's seat (to the right guy of course) could kick start the team into high gear?

Just what is Davey bringing to the table? I don't see him as an awe-inspiring presence, a strategist of the highest order, a rah-rah guy, a disciplinarian, or just having any "take charge" qualities.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
I know it's not gonna happen (yet, at least) but doesn't this team look like the classic case where a change in the manager's seat (to the right guy of course) could kick start the team into high gear?

Just what is Davey bringing to the table? I don't see him as an awe-inspiring presence, a strategist of the highest order, a rah-rah guy, a disciplinarian, or just having any "take charge" qualities.

It's a little late in the process to review his resume and interview him, wouldn't you say?

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter

If prompted he'd say that he's all of those things.

Online Slateman

And 2012-15 when he was largely a .240 hitter?  He’s worse than Kendrick

You mean when he was busy hitting 20+ home runs a season?

Offline van lingle mungo

Well, I guess it's that time of year again... April rolls around. The Nationals start a new season. The Nationals put forth another lackluster effort throughout the month. All eyes on Martinez again. Shocker.... Not.

Offline BuckyHarris

• Waiting for 1924
If prompted he'd say that he's all of those things.

You saw this long ago, PB. He actually thinks those things. His lineups, as many note above, are questionable. But are they forced by player attitudes? Would like to be a fly on the wall. Working starters long to avoid the pen (which after all he didn't create, though they must've consulted him) is starting to cost us. Would another Mangler improve play? Wonder what the players really think of him?

Offline van lingle mungo

It would seem not. He's basically a more streamlined version of Manny Acta, only without the accent and the giant bald head.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
It would seem not. He's basically a more streamlined version of Manny Acta, only without the accent and the giant bald head.

Acta had an accent?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
He was hurt last year
well his pride should be hurt this year.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Best game of the year so far, Stras was great and our slumping bats hit bombs. Wish Martinez had let Barraclough get that last out, or brought in Rosenthal with the tying run not even on deck.

Online Slateman

Best game of the year so far, Stras was great and our slumping bats hit bombs. Wish Martinez had let Barraclough get that last out, or brought in Rosenthal with the tying run not even on deck.
Lol, had one of them given up a slam, youd be mad he didnt bring in Doolittle

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Lol, had one of them given up a slam, youd be mad he didnt bring in Doolittle

With two outs and a five run lead I would have waited for the Marlins to score. Martinez didn't even wait for them to get a man on third.

Offline UMDNats

Yeah I really didn't like making Doolittle get the last out. It was a five run lead.

Online Greg_SRT

• Don't give up
Yeah I really didn't like making Doolittle get the last out. It was a five run lead.

Weren’t we up 12-1 and won 12-9. Dave did what he did for the win.

Offline Duke of Earl

I don't want to be too hard on him for using Doolittle.  However, Doolittle is the only reliever we can rely on at the end of the game.  If you only have one of those, and you use him every time you have a lead in the 9th, you'll soon have nobody to rely on in the 9th. So it is important to get one or two additional relievers some experience in these sort of high pressure situations, even if it costs us a game or two do to so.

Online mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Rosenthal closin' in CO.    That'll be fun.    :mg:

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961

He needs to be incorporated into the back end, one way or another.  It's the only practical way to plug this huge hole.  Sink or swim with Rosenthal in 2019!

Offline van lingle mungo

Acta had an accent?

Some pansy moderator yanked my original response. God forbid anybody should be offended. BTW, I knew you were baiting me. LOL

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Some pansy moderator yanked my original response. God forbid anybody should be offended. BTW, I knew you were baiting me. LOL

Not sure how this is considered baiting. Anyway, the mods do a great job on this site and you'll find that I'm anti-misogyny in relation to that term you used.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Balls are going to land somewhere near Boulder.

Offline van lingle mungo

Not sure how this is considered baiting. Anyway, the mods do a great job on this site and you'll find that I'm anti-misogyny in relation to that term you used.

Hee hee.....Andy Misotchnee. Isn't he a prospect who pitches for Hagerstown?