Author Topic: Fire Dave Martinez - 85.7% Playoff Probability  (Read 145667 times)

lylelgreen and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Air Desmond

After Dusty Baker was fired, Rizzo firmly stated:

“Our expectations have grown to the fact that winning regular-season games and winning divisions are not enough. Our goal is to win a world championship.’’

The Nationals will never sniff the playoffs with Davey Martinez as manager. A colossal failure. Winning regular season games has now become a stressful endeavor. Each game is like pulling teeth to get a win.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
After Dusty Baker was fired, Rizzo firmly stated:

“Our expectations have grown to the fact that winning regular-season games and winning divisions are not enough. Our goal is to win a world championship.’’

The Nationals will never sniff the playoffs with Davey Martinez as manager. A colossal failure. Winning regular season games has now become a stressful endeavor. Each game is like pulling teeth to get a win.

Mark Lerner reeled that in...he just wants to be "competitive."

Offline Air Desmond

I miss being the laughingstock of October. I’d give anything to bring back those days. The Storen collapse. Brandon Belt’s 18th inning dagger. Jayson Werth getting thrown out by 30 feet. Scherzer’s bullpen implosion. Lobaton getting picked off.

All those memories beat the hell out of what we’re watching today. A mediocre, underachieving joke of a ball club that sleep walks through 162 games.

Offline Slateman

I miss being the laughingstock of October. I’d give anything to bring back those days. The Storen collapse. Brandon Belt’s 18th inning dagger. Jayson Werth getting thrown out by 30 feet. Scherzer’s bullpen implosion. Lobaton getting picked off.

All those memories beat the hell out of what we’re watching today. A mediocre, underachieving joke of a ball club that sleep walks through 162 games.

Mark Lerner reeled that in...he just wants to be "competitive."

Offline Air Desmond

I think we all took October baseball for granted. Winning divisions isn’t easy. Postseason baseball is a crapshoot. Nats may have came up short, but the intensity of those games was awesome. It’s a feeling us Nats fans might not experience again for a long time. This team is completely off course. It’s time for a new skipper.

Offline Air Desmond

I’ve made my feelings known on this subject. I will bow out from this tiresome thread. I hope you guys understand where I’m coming from. This was a proud franchise. Winning divisions was the norm. It burns me up to see them regress to a .500 ball club. Somebody needs to be held responsible. Davey has brought absolutely nothing to this team since his arrival besides camels and cabbage.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Martinez got tossed for arguing strike calls. A futile and useless gesture. Wasn't going to change the umps mind, wasn't going to get us that call tomorrow, wasn't going to rally the team. It did send a message to the team that KUF (strike out, ump's fault) plays are an acceptable excuse for failure.

Offline Slateman

Martinez got tossed for arguing strike calls. A futile and useless gesture. Wasn't going to change the umps mind, wasn't going to get us that call tomorrow, wasn't going to rally the team. It did send a message to the team that KUF (strike out, ump's fault) plays are an acceptable excuse for failure.

And if he hadnt, you'd be in here lamenting that he didnt step up for his guys.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
And if he hadnt, you'd be in here lamenting that he didnt step up for his guys.

I'm fine with him getting tossed, I just don't like the constant complaining about the umps. Bad calls happen, and that Rendon call was borderline. Martinez is promoting a culture of not accepting the blame for their own bad plate appearances.

He did blame Strasburg for the home runs, saying that Stras didn't stick to the plan. I don't remember any mound visits to correct the issue, he just ripped his pitcher in the press.

Offline Slateman

I'm fine with him getting tossed, I just don't like the constant complaining about the umps. Bad calls happen, and that Rendon call was borderline. Martinez is promoting a culture of not accepting the blame for their own bad plate appearances.

He did blame Strasburg for the home runs, saying that Stras didn't stick to the plan. I don't remember any mound visits to correct the issue, he just ripped his pitcher in the press.
That ump was crap all night. It wasnt just the Rendon call. It was the two crappy calls to Rendon I  the previous at bat. And Soto. And Dozier.

Hes doing the exact same thing every other manager in baseball would have done.

"Not accepting the blame for their own bad plate appearances"

Rendon is hitting .397/.463/.845. He's 4th in WAR. He's third in OPS. I'm pretty sure Rendon has earned the benefit of the doubt from his manager.

Amongst players with at least 300 plate appearances, Juan Soto was 4th in OBP last season. I'm pretty sure that he has earned a little support from his manager.

Offline hotshot

What's the usual aftermath of a 5th inning like Stras had last nite? A long stretch on the Disabled/Injured List. Expect it. 

Offline Slateman

What's the usual aftermath of a 5th inning like Stras had last nite? A long stretch on the Disabled/Injured List. Expect it. 
Honestly, I'm really hoping at this point he's hurt. Otherwise, we have four more years at 25 million of this.

Offline tzinc

Rizzo fired Dusty because he was tired of losing in the playoffs well he got his wish this team won't lose in the playoffs anymore because they won't make the playoffs. The playoffs are a crapshoot baseball is a marathon and playoffs are a sprint but guess what any team can win a WS even underdogs have won WS - of course with the exception of teams that do not make the playoffs.
Davey cost us a bunch of games last year with his nonsense how do you not give Dusty one last chance with Harper still in town... unbelievably dumb.

Offline hotshot

Honestly, I'm really hoping at this point he's hurt. Otherwise, we have four more years at 25 million of this.

His fastball is reminiscent of Armando Benitez', without Armando's velocity.

Offline Duke of Earl

Rizzo fired Dusty because he was  the Lerners were tired of losing in the playoffs ....
... and they directed Rizzo to fire him.  If we're going to keep talking about Dusty, let's get the story straight.

Offline UMDNats

“Stay with the plan,” manager Davey Martinez said. “We had a good plan. He had a good plan going into the game. I think those two pitches, he got away from it a little bit. But he’s just got to continue to stay with the plan. He’s got good stuff. It’s just one or two little things happening, and we get into these innings.”

How will Strasburg ever recover with such a BRUTAL TAKEDOWN IN THE MEDIA??!

Offline tzinc

Lerners Rizzo there is no way to know for sure it's all supposition Even if it was the Lerners at some point Rizzo needs to stand up to the Lerners Dusty was that moment... it could actually be the moment that the end for Rizzo started ... I mean he didn't think it was worth fighting the Lerners on so that is on him as are the long term consequences of not picking that battle... likewise how much of not trying to resign Harper was on Rizzo and how much on the Lerners... we can never know... but it is Rizzo that can be fired not the Lerners... Agree to enough bad moves and you will lose your job

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Agree to enough bad moves and you will lose your job

Disagree to enough bad moves and you will lose your job too...

Offline hotshot

How will Strasburg ever recover with such a BRUTAL TAKEDOWN IN THE MEDIA??!

Stras looks a lot better at the plate than he does on the mound these days.

Offline Senatorswin

I don't know how much the .500 record Martinez has had since he's been here is his fault but if he's around .500 or below in late May I think you have to let him go. Too much talent on this team for a .500 record. Especially when Girardi and Showalter are without jobs.

Online aspenbubba

I don't know how much the .500 record Martinez has had since he's been here is his fault but if he's around .500 or below in late May I think you have to let him go. Too much talent on this team for a .500 record. Especially when Girardi and Showalter are without jobs.
I would like Girardi but does he want to get back managing and moving here?

Offline expos1994

Why did we ever fire Baker? He got fired for being successful.  He made the right moves in Game 5 vs the Cubs. Or at least the moves any other manager including us couch managers would have made. They botched it. The players.

And we've basically sucked ever since Davey M. came on board.

Offline Slateman

Why did we ever fire Baker? He got fired for being successful.  He made the right moves in Game 5 vs the Cubs. Or at least the moves any other manager including us couch managers would have made. They botched it. The players.

And we've basically sucked ever since Davey M. came on board.
He did not make the right moves.

Offline hotshot

I would like Girardi but does he want to get back managing and moving here?

Think the answer is "no" to both -- managing now, and living in the DC metro area. He would also command far more $$ than I think the Lerner's would want to spend.

Offline UMDNats

Girardi would never happen.