Author Topic: Fire Dave Martinez - Playoff Probability Jinx for DCFan - 51.9  (Read 134971 times)

PowerBoater69, tenken627, Air Desmond and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Being negative is draining.

Then it's a small wonder you haven't died of dehydration.

Online DCFan

• What are you dense?

+1 :clap:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

:spit:

Offline Kevrock

• Troll So Hard University
His "article" was just blocks of text on a white background, no different than Slate's post. :lmao:

Incredible the mental gymnastics you go through to find a way to blame Martinez for everything. Can't wait for you to share an article that is just a Apple Notes app paragraph about how Dave Martinez is actually responsible for the MASN dispute.

:lmao:

Online Slateman

Davey's fault Sipp's shoulder got stiff :lmao:

Offline UMDNats

Davey's fault Sipp's shoulder got stiff :lmao:

Please read my article about this. https://bit.ly/2UvTF4n

Offline Natsinpwc

Please read my article about this. https://bit.ly/2UvTF4n
You stole that from me. Expect my lawyer to be in touch.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I don’t understand how it’s irrelevant. There aren’t enough good relievers out there. The Nats pen reflects that. Do you really think the Nats bullpen is good?

I assume he had Sipp up if Bearclaw got the first two outs. The flip side is of no one is up then people criticize because the guy on the mound implodes and no one is ready. It’s never going to be perfect.

Without backtracking over the full discussion, I called your response about other teams having problems with their pens irrelevant because that does not mean there isn't room to improve here or that Martinez should not have had Sipp warming in the ninth on Tuesday.

Every manager gets criticism for their handling of the pen and in this case it was certainly warrented.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Are we really doing this? Complaining about bullpen management in a game in which the bullpen pitched *six* scoreless innings and the team won in dramatic fashion?

PB69, I'm sure that Martinez will give you many more opportunities to question his decision making in the near future... ;)

Sometimes bad moves have no adverse consequences, which appears to be the case here (assuming Sipp is fine). I didn't notice the two lefties warming but saw what I thought was an interesting write up on the topic and figured I'd post it on a Nats message board in case anyone else was interested. As much as I catch crap for blasting Martinez at every chance there are some people on here that are willing to defend even his most obvious of mistakes.

Offline NJ Ave

WTF? We talking about a guy in the bullpen getting warmed up and then not pitching? WGAF?

How about they just pitch better?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
WTF? We talking about a guy in the bullpen getting warmed up and then not pitching? WGAF?

it's become trendy to nag about that

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/04/10/sean-doolittle-vs-bryce-harper-evolution-dave-martinezs-bullpen-management/?utm_term=.a021768e8669

Thanks for posting this.

The writer goes a long way to spin Martinez's miscues into positives. First he had both lefties up, changed his mind and went with Sipp, then changed his mind and went with Doolittle. Getting guys up and down just like the relievers complained about last year. But he got the win so all is well.

The first time the bullpen phone rang Tuesday night, at the start of the ninth inning, it was to tell Doolittle and Tony Sipp to warm up. Then it rang again, a few minutes later, and Doolittle was told to sit down. Then it rang again, after Kyle Barraclough gave up a leadoff single, and pitching coach Derek Lilliquist delivered a clear message to bullpen coach Henry Blanco. If Doolittle could get ready in time, he was coming in to face Bryce Harper.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Is he gone yet?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Gonna stick my neck out and say that if the bullpen settles down, Davy is going to be regarded as having done a good job this year. I'm not saying he's good, I'm just saying I think his reputation is going to ride with the bullpen. His starters and line up are ok.  With a bullpen, there's an 8-10 game improvement.

Offline Duke of Earl

WTF? We talking about a guy in the bullpen getting warmed up and then not pitching?
Not really.  I think the complaint is, if you're going to have two guys warming up, one should be a lefty and the other a righty. In that case, if one is brought in and the other never gets in the game, nobody complains that he warmed up and never pitched.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Don't give up
PB69

How do you feel about Cabbage Smash Kids?

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
PB69

How do you feel about Cabbage Smash Kids?

Pretty stupid stuff but harmless, Robles and Soto are young guys, they should have fun. I don't get the fan interest. Doesn't compare with the camel stunt.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Don't give up
Pretty stupid stuff but harmless, Robles and Soto are young guys, they should have fun. I don't get the fan interest. Doesn't compare with the camel stunt.

They got over the hump and can now party?

It’s a celebration nages!!!

Online Air Desmond

88-86 as a manager. I hope you guys are prepared to suffer through another .500 season.

Makes me miss Dusty Baker and even Matt Williams. At least those guys had some proud moments as a manager. Davey has literally been a disaster since day 1 when he brought camels to spring training.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
We gotta get this one thing ironed out, we're playing really well, all our position players are playing really well, defense has been good, baserunning has been good, we gotta iron out that bullpen.

Would you wear that shirt in public?

Offline tzinc

We gotta get this one thing ironed out, we're playing really well, all our position players are playing really well, defense has been good, baserunning has been good, we gotta iron out that bullpen.

(Image removed from quote.)

excuses are for losers look at his eyes there is nothing there

As I've said I'm not a fan of 90% of Davey's managing, but if we're simply going by his record........

Joe Torre prior to his Yankees tenure: 894-1003 .471

Terry Francona prior to his Red Sox tenure: 285-363 .440

Ned Yost prior to his Royals tenure: 457-502 .477

A.J. Hinch prior to his Astros tenure: 89-123 .420

All four of those guys now have WS rings. Davey doesn't appear to have the savvy or the bravado that those guys have and he's struggled to manage the bullpen (badly at times), but given he only has ONE legitimately good reliever right now, he's basically handcuffed. He can't pitch Doo every night for multiple innings.

Surprised that there hasn't been more discussion about Lilliquist and questioning the job he's done as pitching coach. This isn't always about the manager.

Offline rileyn

(Image removed from quote.)

It's to his detriment that he keeps saying "we played well, ran the bases well, defense played well........"  In fact the very next question last night was about Eaton airmailing the throw in the 8th allowing the trail runner to get into scoring position (and later score).  Does he forget these things, or just think that nobody will challenge him on it?  Meanwhile, Bo Porter just spent 5 minutes going over the subtle miscues and how they cost the team last night. 

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
As I've said I'm not a fan of 90% of Davey's managing, but if we're simply going by his record........

Joe Torre prior to his Yankees tenure: 894-1003 .471

Terry Francona prior to his Red Sox tenure: 285-363 .440

Ned Yost prior to his Royals tenure: 457-502 .477

A.J. Hinch prior to his Astros tenure: 89-123 .420

All four of those guys now have WS rings. Davey doesn't appear to have the savvy or the bravado that those guys have and he's struggled to manage the bullpen (badly at times), but given he only has ONE legitimately good reliever right now, he's basically handcuffed. He can't pitch Doo every night for multiple innings.

Surprised that there hasn't been more discussion about Lilliquist and questioning the job he's done as pitching coach. This isn't always about the manager.

The Mets were bad when Torre got there, bad while he was there, and bad after he left. The Braves were bad when he got there, better while he was there, and worse when he left. The Cards were bad when he was hired, got better before falling off his last year.

The Phillies were terrible before Francona, got better with him, and better after he left.

The Brewers were bad before Yost, got better while he was there, then got a little worse when he was gone.

Hard to judge Hinch on two partial seasons, obviously he didn't come into a good situation mid season and it when it wasn't working he got dumped at year later.

I didn't look up the team payrolls, but I guarantee none of these guys were managing teams in the top five. Martinez is held to a higher standard because he took over a playoff team that was #2 in payroll last year and #5 so far this year. If he were in Baltimore or Miami you could compare him to those other guys.