Author Topic: Fire Dave Martinez - Lilliquist Week  (Read 95306 times)

Offline Greg_SRT

• Why Not This Year?
Re: Fire Dave Martinez
« Reply #4075: April 09, 2019, 12:42:19 PM »
Nats have a mediocre lineup now?  :hysterical:

This is the best lineup (with turner for sure) top to bottom the Nats ever put on the field.

This is the best bench we've ever had

This is the best Rotation we've ever had

We have an 8th inning bullpen problem. It's fixable

We've played 9 games. Chill out.

Go look at the archives from last season, posts about the OMG 12-2 Mets that finished in 4th place.

Trust the 162. Have faith that Players will live up to potential from past 162's.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #4076: April 09, 2019, 12:43:14 PM »
The bad bullpen explains blown leads and blow outs, but not the close losses. If we lose by one run we were good enough to win the game, the loss can be tracked to a bad play or bad decision. This was a problem last year that continues so far this season. This team has no killer instinct to will their way to victory.

Agreed and were it not for his contract I believe Zimm would be out of baseball, much less starting on a "contending team"

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #4077: April 09, 2019, 12:51:20 PM »

This is the best lineup (with turner for sure) top to bottom the Nats ever put on the field.

What? No way.

The 2014 lineup had 6 guys with an OPS+ over 100, Ramos at 91 OPS+ (Espinosa was a black hole) and Zimmerman, who was hurt a lot, was at 117 OPS+ in 61 games. The bench wasn't great but the starting lineup was excellent, even though Harper was bad a lot. That was a pretty solid lineup.

In 2017 we were stacked, seriously. Wieters and Werth were bad but the bench was really strong. The big guys were big.

I'm skeptical we match 2017. This lineup isn't all that great really (maybe Dozier turns it around) because first base is below-average, second base is below-average, right field is below-average and minus Turner, shortstop is a wasteland.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #4078: April 09, 2019, 12:51:21 PM »

Go look at the archives from last season, posts about the OMG 12-2 Mets that finished in 4th place.

Trust the 162. Have faith that Players will live up to potential from past 162's.

2017 was the best offensive season for the Nats/Expos based on OPS and runs, by a lot. That was with our outfield hitting the sixth and seventh spots on the depth chart due to injuries, Wieters at catcher, and Baker getting killed for batting Difo second. So if you are saying this line up is better on paper the blame for the drop in production must fall on the manager.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #4079: April 09, 2019, 12:52:56 PM »
Agreed and were it not for his contract I believe Zimm would be out of baseball, much less starting on a "contending team"

Zimm should be in the AL, where he can focus on hitting and avoid wear and tear from playing in the field. He'd extend his career by years.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #4080: April 09, 2019, 12:55:06 PM »
2017 was the best offensive season for the Nats/Expos based on OPS and runs, by a lot. That was with our outfield hitting the sixth and seventh spots on the depth chart due to injuries, Wieters at catcher, and Baker getting killed for batting Difo second. So if you are saying this line up is better on paper the blame for the drop in production must fall on the manager.

This lineup on paper is not as good as 2017, are y'all serious? That team had a 130 OPS+ or greater from four different starters at the top 2 bench bats who filled in a lot (Lind & Goodwin) both had OPS+ over 100. GTFO. Not everything is the damn manager, geez. So tired of you blaming Martinez because Ryan Zimmerman is paid $20 million to OPS+ 88 and his #2 bullpen option is Kyle Barraclough.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Why Not This Year?
« Reply #4081: April 09, 2019, 01:15:23 PM »
I said top to bottom.

Not 1 thru 4 or 5.

1 thru 9

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #4082: April 09, 2019, 01:23:59 PM »
I said top to bottom.

Not 1 thru 4 or 5.

1 thru 9

Yeah, I read that. I disagreed. In 2017 we had 4 players over 130 OPS+ and 6 of 8 regular starters had OPS+ over 100 and the top 2 bench players who each got 300 ABs were also over 100. For us to match that, we need Rendon, Robles, Soto & Turner to all OPS+ over 130 and then two of Eaton, Zimm, Dozier and catcher to be over 100, closer to 115, and probably Adams to be a stud, too.

I just don't see it. We had impact bats in Rendon, Harper, Murphy & Zimmerman and another above-average power bat in Taylor and another average bat in Turner. That team was really good. I think we're going to be closer to middle of the road this year.

Offline Air Desmond

« Reply #4083: April 09, 2019, 01:47:52 PM »

These would be valid points if last year didn’t happen. Reality is -  this is a .500 team with Davey in charge. Each game Davey manages is another nail in the 2019 season coffin. My only hope is they fire him before the season is a lost cause. No sense in waiting until the all star break ... need to act fast.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #4084: April 09, 2019, 01:50:54 PM »
I'm really curious what "moves" another manager could be making right now to win more games?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #4085: April 09, 2019, 02:07:41 PM »
I'm really curious what "moves" another manager could be making right now to win more games?

Dousing Rosenthal in gasoline and tossing a lit match at him would be a pretty solid move...

Offline Greg_SRT

• Why Not This Year?
« Reply #4086: April 09, 2019, 02:26:18 PM »
Yeah, I read that. I disagreed. In 2017 we had 4 players over 130 OPS+ and 6 of 8 regular starters had OPS+ over 100 and the top 2 bench players who each got 300 ABs were also over 100. For us to match that, we need Rendon, Robles, Soto & Turner to all OPS+ over 130 and then two of Eaton, Zimm, Dozier and catcher to be over 100, closer to 115, and probably Adams to be a stud, too.

I just don't see it. We had impact bats in Rendon, Harper, Murphy & Zimmerman and another above-average power bat in Taylor and another average bat in Turner. That team was really good. I think we're going to be closer to middle of the road this year.

What I see is 8 guys plus 3 on the bench that have a strong chance of hitting .260 and above. A Rotation that is going to provide competitive pitching all 5 times out. And a bullpen that isn't meeting potential.

Fix the pen and a team like this wins series that translates to winning a division.

« Reply #4087: April 09, 2019, 03:02:49 PM »
life with a bad bullpen and a mediocre lineup

one-run wins are a lot easier when your bullpen is reliable and you have a lineup of guys who can get the job done late. look at zimm last night. man on 2nd, one out, top 9 down a run, closer on the ropes. womp womp. i feel like "Mr. Walk Off" is a nickname he got because he had some big hits on piss-poor teams from 2006-2009 and he's never actually been all that "clutch"

His clutch numbers in 2017 and 2018 were excellent. Easier to remember the times when he doesn't come through because even the great ones fail 65-70% of the time in those situations, but he's come through on a consistent basis the last 2 years. He also usually starts to heat up in May so I don't care what his numbers are 2 weeks into the season, too small of a sample size.

That said I would start giving Adams more ABs against righties to give Zim more days off and somewhat limit Zim to righties who he usually rakes against and obviously lefties. If Zim is healthy he can still hit well.

« Reply #4088: April 09, 2019, 03:26:41 PM »
What I see is 8 guys plus 3 on the bench that have a strong chance of hitting .260 and above. A Rotation that is going to provide competitive pitching all 5 times out. And a bullpen that isn't meeting potential.

Fix the pen and a team like this wins series that translates to winning a division.

This lineup isn't as good as 2017 but it should be pointed out that while the Nats are only hitting .238 so far (16th in baseball), that avg is better than the likes of Colorado, the Cardinals who added Goldschmidt, the Padres who added Machado and is even with the vaunted Red Sox lineup. Their OBP and OPS are also better than each of those teams and are on par with the Astros in both categories, and that's having lost Bryce and with guys like Zim and Eaton not hitting yet, Dozier being invisible and Adams not being a factor yet plus young guys in Soto and Robles who will probably heat up as the season goes along.

We know the rotation is really good, and I think this lineup can score runs.

Bullpen has to get fixed and if it does they'll win games. 

« Reply #4089: April 09, 2019, 03:28:49 PM »
Haven't counted but it seems it likely Martinez's teams has suffered more one run loses than any other manager in Nats history

Davey lost 24 of those last year, Dusty lost 40 in his 2 years here, (21/19).

Offline Air Desmond

« Reply #4090: April 09, 2019, 08:15:24 PM »
Need to pull the plug on Davey ASAP. Try and restore order while the season is still young. If you thought 82-80 was bad, this season is on track to be much worse. The NL East is competitive this year. The Nats need to act fast before things spiral out of control.

Offline Slateman

• Tom's Narcan Hero
« Reply #4091: April 09, 2019, 08:40:20 PM »
Yes, a new manager will fix a terrible pen, get Strasburg to go back to throwing 95, and inspire the lineup to get more hits. Brilliant.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #4092: April 09, 2019, 08:50:13 PM »
Maybe Martinez is the guy for the fire sale and rebuild, he can probably handle a youth movement better than the overpaid under performing bunch that Rizzo assembled. But probably not, fire them both, sell anything not nailed down.

Offline Slateman

• Tom's Narcan Hero
« Reply #4093: April 09, 2019, 10:58:32 PM »
Yes, a new manager will fix a terrible pen, get Strasburg to go back to throwing 95, and inspire the lineup to get more hits. Brilliant.

Two out of three?

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #4094: April 10, 2019, 12:20:21 AM »

Just freaking apply for the job already and fix it. You're obviously smarter than all of us here.

JFC.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Why Not This Year?
« Reply #4095: April 10, 2019, 12:28:24 AM »
Just freaking apply for the job already and fix it. You're obviously smarter than all of us here.

JFC.

Or is it a matter of faith?

Offline Kevrock

• Troll So Hard University
« Reply #4096: April 10, 2019, 06:51:12 AM »

JFC.

Unfortunately he already has a job as a road

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #4097: April 10, 2019, 07:27:33 AM »
Davey was fine yesterday.  I liked the move he made with Doolittle. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #4098: April 10, 2019, 07:50:17 AM »

Martinez may have lucked into a winning formula, it isn't little things or being good guys who try hard, it's hatred of the Phillies. The fans have always disliked the Phillies but after that bat flip and watching them get off to a hot start I think that kicked off the response we saw last night. Great game, we need more like that.

Offline Slateman

• Tom's Narcan Hero
« Reply #4099: April 10, 2019, 08:51:28 AM »
Yep. Problem is you can't really repeat it every game.