Author Topic: Fire Dave Martinez - Non Player Character  (Read 71133 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Is this a career development thread?:)

I really don’t care what people think about Dusty on an internet message board. I know lifelong baseball people that thought letting Dusty walk was an embarrassment.

:lmao:

Who are these geniuses?

I guess everyone in the Giants, Cubs, Reds, and now Nationals' organizations have been dead wrong.  Rusty Choker is a world-beating manager who will go on, at the age of 70, to prove all of the naysayers wrong and finally bring home a championship.  What a grave mistake the Nationals made.

Offline aspenbubba

Me as well...it was gutless and unnecessary...

I do think Rusty talking about how he was worth more money also had something to do with it...
Did anyone float the possibility that the decision was not made to re-up Rusty overnight but took  many days of deliberation?

Offline varoadking

• Grandpa VaRK
Did anyone float the possibility that the decision was not made to re-up Rusty overnight but took  many days of deliberation?

Rusty stayed in DC for 10 days after the season ended...they told him as soon as he left.  Bad optics as they would say...

Offline Mattionals

• Smooth Jazz Nyan Cat - Blue Raspberry Edition
Rusty stayed in DC for 10 days after the season ended...they told him as soon as he left.  Bad optics as they would say...

I am in complete agreement with all of the folks here. Rusty wasn't the answer, but his treatment on the way out was bush league. People saying he was fired are just more upset than the rest of us who think he was wrongly handled at the end. It shows no class on the Nationals, but the decision to move on from Dusty isn't the classless act, it's the fact that Dusty should have been told IN PERSON as soon as the decision was made to not re-up his contract.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
We've had the Dusty debates for a 2 and a half years now.  I/M/O, it was a mistake to hire him, instead of Davey or Black, but I'm not sure how anyone could say what you got out of Dusty once he was hired was anything less than what you should have expected.  He's a terrific season manager who is not very good in an individual, winner or go home game.  I thought he did a wonderful job in the regular season, but he's showed nothing he had not already shown in SF, Chicago, and Cinci in the playoffs.  If you were going to hire him, he did better than you could have expected. Maybe it was about stages of the team, and they needed a better player development, team attitude and rapport guy than Matt "how does it feel to know you've lost the clubhouse?" Williams for a couple of years after the Williams debacle.  I feel nervous about moving from dusty to Davey in a potential "end of the window" year, but would have felt much better about Davey had he been hired after Johnson or Williams.  Then, you had a long window so you could afford new guy learning.  At least he has a good set of coaches who have managed around him. 

Offline aBaltoNat

We've had the Dusty debates for a 2 and a half years now.  I/M/O, it was a mistake to hire him, instead of Davey or Black, but I'm not sure how anyone could say what you got out of Dusty once he was hired was anything less than what you should have expected.  He's a terrific season manager who is not very good in an individual, winner or go home game.  I thought he did a wonderful job in the regular season, but he's showed nothing he had not already shown in SF, Chicago, and Cinci in the playoffs.  If you were going to hire him, he did better than you could have expected. Maybe it was about stages of the team, and they needed a better player development, team attitude and rapport guy than Matt "how does it feel to know you've lost the clubhouse?" Williams for a couple of years after the Williams debacle.  I feel nervous about moving from dusty to Davey in a potential "end of the window" year, but would have felt much better about Davey had he been hired after Johnson or Williams.  Then, you had a long window so you could afford new guy learning.  At least he has a good set of coaches who have managed around him.

Im with you.

And for those upset about Dusty....People get fired and/or not extended all of the time. I'm in HR. I'ts part of a professional career.....and the guy made millions his two years here.

Grow up and welcome to the not(we dont all make millions) world.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
I'm no longer fully convinced that this year is the end of the window, anyway.

Robles/Goodwin/Eaton/Taylor gives the appearance of some good options at OF if Harper walks.  Losing Murphy and Gio hurts, but the team can go on without them (and honestly, not having Gio pitch in the playoffs might be addition by subtraction).

I think, if anything, 2019 might be the end of it if Rendon goes off to greener pastures afterward.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Im with you.

And for those upset about Dusty....People get fired and/or not extended all of the time. I'm in HR. I'ts part of a professional career.....and the guy made millions his two years here.

Grow up and welcome to the not(we dont all make millions) world.

I'm not pissed about Baker being let go because it was bad for Dusty, I'm pissed because it was bad for us.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Robles/Goodwin/Eaton/Taylor gives the appearance of some good options at OF if Harper walks.  Losing Murphy and Gio hurts, but the team can go on without them (and honestly, not having Gio pitch in the playoffs might be addition by subtraction).

I think, if anything, 2019 might be the end of it if Rendon goes off to greener pastures afterward.

The window isn't about how good the Nats will be this year or next, it's how long the rest of the division will stink.

Offline HalfSmokes

This might be the last year where not walking away with the division means something went horribly wrong. I still think they’ll be competive through 2019, but if rendon and Strasburg walk, 2020 and beyond could be rough

Offline aspenbubba

Are you sure. I thought it was much less than that. Too lazy to research it.

Offline bluestreak

Are you sure. I thought it was much less than that. Too lazy to research it.

Season ended 10/12. Fired 10/20.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
When Trea got tossed Martinez should have either stayed in the dugout or gotten tossed as well. The nice conversation with the ump impresses no one. The ball club knows that he's not going to back them all the way and the umps know he's a punk.

Offline ajcartwright

jury's out on dave
not too impressed as of yet
leaning towards dislike

Offline LoveAngelos

Then what?

Like today the Nats big "stars" fold when it is crunch time

Offline varoadking

• Grandpa VaRK
jury's out on dave
not too impressed as of yet
leaning towards dislike

Three consecutive crappy starting pitching performances will do that...

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Even MDS wouldn't do that to his lieutenant paperboy
Season ended 10/12. Fired 10/20.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
When Trea got tossed Martinez should have either stayed in the dugout or gotten tossed as well. The nice conversation with the ump impresses no one. The ball club knows that he's not going to back them all the way and the umps know he's a punk.

We didn't have a good angle for the pitch but it appeared well high and outside.    Still, Turner deserved to be tossed for getting in the ump's face like that.  We were wondering if there had been words in his previous strike out when he watched with his bat on his shoulders.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
We didn't have a good angle for the pitch but it appeared well high and outside.    Still, Turner deserved to be tossed for getting in the ump's face like that.  We were wondering if there had been words in his previous strike out when he watched with his bat on his shoulders.

Trea has been struggling a little, seems to be taking it out on the umps.

Offline varoadking

• Grandpa VaRK

It wasn't high, but it was WELL outside...terrible strike call...

Offline welch

• 2018: The Fight for .500

Mets broadcast repeated the pitch, including a box to show the strike-zone. Their announcers saw that pitch as well outside: started outside, ended outside, and never got near the plate. To me, it did not even look close. Strange call.

Still, Turner had no business arguing like that. He is not Eddie Yost, who was known to have the best eye in '50s baseball. So good that umpires let him call the close pitches.

Offline dcpatti

It sure looked like Trea was walking away and stopped and looked back, and it feels like it was that lookback (or maybe even take a few steps back) that got him tossed.  I heard some gossip that the ump had baited Trea but not sure if there's any validity to it. I have to imagine that the ump at least said *something* because if you're already walking away and seem to have said your peace, why else are you gonna stop and go back? I mean, I could see a guy like Harper going back for another round just cause they're wound up, but Trea? Doesn't make sense.  And it really did look like he was walking away and stopped abruptly, because I was commenting on it to my husband while it was going on.

Offline varoadking

• Grandpa VaRK
It sure looked like Trea was walking away and stopped and looked back, and it feels like it was that lookback (or maybe even take a few steps back) that got him tossed.  I heard some gossip that the ump had baited Trea but not sure if there's any validity to it. I have to imagine that the ump at least said *something* because if you're already walking away and seem to have said your peace, why else are you gonna stop and go back? I mean, I could see a guy like Harper going back for another round just cause they're wound up, but Trea? Doesn't make sense.  And it really did look like he was walking away and stopped abruptly, because I was commenting on it to my husband while it was going on.

You could see the ump said something on the slo-mo replay...very short...maybe one word...like "Screwyou..."  It may have been "Keepwalking" and the turn around would have done it...

Offline welch

• 2018: The Fight for .500
Did MAT get better pitches by hitting 9th?

Offline tzinc

Dusty is a proven MLB winner who had the respect of the players.
Martinez is a joker.

Good luck with that.