Author Topic: Fire Dave Martinez - Playoff Probability Jinx for DCFan - 49.2  (Read 135416 times)

Offline Ray D

Re: Fire Dave Martinez - Lilliquist scapegoated
« Reply #225: February 15, 2018, 05:10:14 PM »
Jamal Collier tweets:

Strasburg: "You got to be in the circle of trust to talk about the circle of trust"
The first rule of the Circle of Trust is..........

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #226: February 15, 2018, 06:33:42 PM »
Max threw 60 pitches today, more than any of the other guys. Who on the coaching staff has the stones to tell him to lay off? Baker could have. Martinez? He'll bring it up tomorrow in the trust circle.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #227: February 15, 2018, 06:37:34 PM »
Fortunately this doesn't apply to circle jerks or most of our threads would die quickly.

Jamal Collier tweets:

Strasburg: "You got to be in the circle of trust to talk about the circle of trust"

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #228: February 15, 2018, 06:37:54 PM »
Max threw 60 pitches today, more than any of the other guys. Who on the coaching staff has the stones to tell him to lay off? Baker could have. Martinez? He'll bring it up tomorrow in the trust circle.
Did Dusty even know who he was?

Online mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #229: February 15, 2018, 06:40:16 PM »
Max threw 60 pitches today, more than any of the other guys.

Maybe he had a taste of what Doolittle had.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #230: February 15, 2018, 06:42:29 PM »

Mitch, that fellow with the funny eyes

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #231: February 15, 2018, 06:44:02 PM »

Baker won 192 games in two years here, taking over the wreckage that MW left behind and working through a crippling number of games lost to injury last year.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #232: February 15, 2018, 06:44:51 PM »
Maybe he had a taste of what Doolittle had.

That will keep the muscles loose.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #233: February 15, 2018, 07:14:45 PM »
Baker won 192 games in two years here, taking over the wreckage that MW left behind and working through a crippling number of games lost to injury last year.
Rizzo has assembled a dynamite team.

They also lost two straight winnable NLDS thanks, in part, to Dusty's befuddling moves. 

You seem to have already decided that Martinez will be no good--give him a chance. At least until April.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #234: February 16, 2018, 08:15:53 AM »
Eaton (assuming he gets his timing back quickly) is a much better leadoff hitter than Trea, and Trea seems to do better when the pressure of batting leadoff is not on him. I honestly don’t care if they tinker around  with the lineup and see who does best where, although I’m still going to be a bit surprised if Eaton gets it right out of the gate after his extended absence.

Circle of Trust sounds really Jesusy for some reason, which means it probably won’t be hard to sell it to many of the players.

Based on what?  The vast majority of Trea's career games/PAs were spent hitting leadoff, to the point that everything else is an almost negligible sample size.

According to https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=turnetr01&year=Career&t=b#lineu::none (batting order position splits), there's really no meaningful difference between Trea hitting leadoff vs. not.

If they perform according to career numbers, Eaton will on-base around .360 and Trea around .340-345.  That means one could expect Eaton to get on base about 10 more times in a given season.  Trea's speed and SB% more than makes up for that difference.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #235: February 16, 2018, 08:23:37 AM »
Based on what?  The vast majority of Trea's career games/PAs were spent hitting leadoff, to the point that everything else is an almost negligible sample size.

According to https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=turnetr01&year=Career&t=b#lineu::none (batting order position splits), there's really no meaningful difference between Trea hitting leadoff vs. not.

If they perform according to career numbers, Eaton will on-base around .360 and Trea around .340-345.  That means one could expect Eaton to get on base about 10 more times in a given season.  Trea's speed and SB% more than makes up for that difference.

If Eaton has a better lead off OBP I don't see what the problem is batting him there. There will be times Eaton does not get on and Turner does and he will be able to steal a base. Or he will be on first and Eaton on third and can steal a base. As others have noted he might bat 9th also. You seem fixated on this before it has even had a chance.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #236: February 16, 2018, 08:31:03 AM »
If Eaton has a better lead off OBP I don't see what the problem is batting him there. There will be times Eaton does not get on and Turner does and he will be able to steal a base. Or he will be on first and Eaton on third and can steal a base. As others have noted he might bat 9th also. You seem fixated on this before it has even had a chance.

I hate to use the "clogging the basepaths" argument, but logically, I want Trea in front of everyone else so he has free rein to go as far as humanly possible.

The argument you're making can just as easily be applied in reverse re: Eaton, so why not just let him hit second instead?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #237: February 16, 2018, 08:34:51 AM »
I hate to use the "clogging the basepaths" argument, but logically, I want Trea in front of everyone else so he has free rein to go as far as humanly possible.

The argument you're making can just as easily be applied in reverse re: Eaton, so why not just let him hit second instead?
Because he has a higher OBP.  if Trea has a higher OBP then let him bat first.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #238: February 16, 2018, 09:00:12 AM »
Because he has a higher OBP.  if Trea has a higher OBP then let him bat first.

Like I already said, Trea's speed makes up for the difference in OBP.  He's going to make trips on base count more by stealing bases, making it from first-to-third more and second-to-home more, etc.

Offline Optics

« Reply #239: February 17, 2018, 02:30:26 PM »
Turner is going to be a hell of a leadoff hitter and it could very well be this year. Eaton just has the feel of the perfect #2 hitter.

Online bluestreak

« Reply #240: February 17, 2018, 06:22:14 PM »
I think you can make the case for either as they would both be great in leadoff. It’s a good problem to have and since they bat from different sides, I imagine you could switch them based on the situation.

Regardless, the speed on this team is going to be absurd. If the Nats could get Realmuto, this team would be insane on the basepaths. Especially on the days Difo starts for Murphy.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #241: February 22, 2018, 05:54:11 PM »
Last team to have full squad work outs, players playing DJ during practice, short daily sessions, and now a third string line up for the first game. Martinez waiting for the season to start before flipping the switch on.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #242: February 22, 2018, 05:57:22 PM »
Last team to have full squad work outs, players playing DJ during practice, short daily sessions, and now a third string line up for the first game. Martinez waiting for the season to start before flipping the switch on.

The other Davey had a similar approach...let everyone go play golf. 

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #243: February 25, 2018, 05:59:11 PM »
Looks like there is a circle  of trust and an inner circle of trust

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #244: February 25, 2018, 06:06:49 PM »
Castillo
Asked about the mistakes from the first two games yesterday. Martinez said he has no problem with it. Wants them to be aggressive in spring games. That's 5 mistakes though.

Sounds good until a starter gets injured.

Online imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #245: February 28, 2018, 09:46:48 AM »
It looks like Martinez is bringing some of Maddon's goofiness to the clubhouse - today the players arriving at the stadium were greeted by three live camels to celebrate hump day.  Henley and Tim Bogar were riding two of them, and the PA system is playing "My Humps" by the Blackeyed Peas.

https://twitter.com/MarkZuckerman/status/968855649940594688/video/1

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #246: February 28, 2018, 09:49:19 AM »
It looks like Martinez is bringing some of Maddon's goofiness to the clubhouse - today the players arriving at the stadium were greeted by three live camels to celebrate hump day.  Henley and Tim Bogar were riding two of them, and the PA system is playing "My Humps" by the Blackeyed Peas.

Wonder if that comes out of Rizzo's budget?

Online Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #247: February 28, 2018, 09:49:45 AM »

This seems too contrived and smells of "trying too hard" to show you're trying to have fun and staying relaxed. I would think grown me would see through it. It's more about how you carry yourself when things get tough or don't go the way you want them.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #248: February 28, 2018, 09:50:34 AM »
This seems too contrived and smells of "trying too hard" to show you're trying to have fun. I would think grown me would see through it.
Have you ever seen reality TV? Athletes are not all geniuses.

(I would ask why they didn't get llamas instead.)

Online Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #249: February 28, 2018, 09:51:10 AM »
Have you ever seen reality TV? Athletes are not all geniuses.

I thought of that when I was typing it. You have a point there.