Author Topic: Should we trade Harper?  (Read 5994 times)

Offline Expos

Should we trade Harper?
« Topic Start: October 26, 2017, 04:13:03 PM »

Rendon is going to command a big contract and Harper is in his last year. Say we get a good SP and an outfielder would you guys trade him?

Taylor should be our everyday CF. Eaton is a +5 WAR player in RF.

Harper and Weiters to Boston for :

LHP Drew Pomeranz     173 IP, 17 wins, 6 losses, 3.32 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, 
LF Andrew Benintendi  .271 BA, 20 HR, 90 RBI, 20 SB
RP  Matt Barnes             69.2 IP,  7 wins, 3 losses, 3.88 ERA, 1.22 WHIP
C Christian Vazquez      .290 BA, 5 HR, 32 RBI, 7 SB

I think we could get a deal like this.

SS- Turner
RF- Eaton
2B- Murphy / Difo
1B- Zimmerman
LF- Benitendi
3B- Rendon
CF- Taylor / Goodwin
C- Vazquez / Severino

1- Strasburg
2- Scherzer
3- Pomeranz
4- Gio
5- Roark

I like it.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Should we trade Harper?
« Reply #1: October 26, 2017, 04:19:15 PM »
why in the world would Boston trade Six years of control for Benintendi for one year of control of Harper? Much less all those other guys. I think we are overestimating what a walk-year Bryce Harper brings back in trade. 

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #2: October 26, 2017, 04:19:49 PM »
Why would Boston trade 6 yrs of cheap Benitendi for 1 yr of Harper, while also eating Weiters overpriced salary?  Maybe we just trade Weiters to the Angels for Trout, but have them pick up both players' salary.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #3: October 26, 2017, 04:22:30 PM »
PROTIP: everyone's trade proposal sucks

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #4: October 26, 2017, 04:24:27 PM »
Nobody is going to want one year of Harper when guys like Ozuna, Yelich and Stanton are going out on the market, along with their long contracts (Yelich's is extremely team friendly and Ozuna's aint too shabby, it's just kinda short).

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #5: October 26, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »
If the Nats could get that deal, absolutely.  But Harper is a rental - a very good rental, but a rental. 

Offline hotshot

« Reply #6: October 26, 2017, 04:39:40 PM »
Harper will be signing elsewhere so, yes, trade him now. I'd also gauge any DH interest in Zimmerman in the AL. If we can sell even reasonably high in his case, pull the trigger with him too.

Offline blue911

« Reply #7: October 26, 2017, 04:43:36 PM »
Harper will be signing elsewhere so, yes, trade him now. I'd also gauge any DH interest in Zimmerman in the AL. If we can sell even reasonably high in his case, pull the trigger with him too.

Do you understand how no trade clauses work?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #8: October 26, 2017, 04:46:01 PM »
I'll take a lineup with Harper in it over a lineup without him in it next season.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #9: October 26, 2017, 04:51:34 PM »
Yes, but we wont

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10: October 26, 2017, 04:51:47 PM »

You will never get the value for Harper that you will get from him playing on the team. If this team plans on contending next year it makes zero sense to trade him, unless some of the folks proposing trades on here are MLB GM's hiding their identity.

Harper is a worst case a 5 win player. Best case he is a 10+ win player.  There is no way you're even going to get even one year of that production back in trade. Much less multiple years.

Just for comparison 2015 Bryce Harper is the equivalent of Carlos Correa AND Paul Goldschmidt. 2017 Harper even with injury is the equivalent of one of them. Do you think Nats are getting anything close to that back in a trade.

(I know I am leaving out 2016, but I think can that was a fluke and he was hurt.)

Offline Expos

« Reply #11: October 26, 2017, 04:56:49 PM »
You will never get the value for Harper that you will get from him playing on the team. If this team plans on contending next year it makes zero sense to trade him, unless some of the folks proposing trades on here are MLB GM's hiding their identity.

Harper is a worst case a 5 win player. Best case he is a 10+ win player.  There is no way you're even going to get even one year of that production back in trade. Much less multiple years.

Just for comparison 2015 Bryce Harper is the equivalent of Carlos Correa AND Paul Goldschmidt. 2017 Harper even with injury is the equivalent of one of them. Do you think Nats are getting anything close to that back in a trade.

(I know I am leaving out 2016, but I think can that was a fluke and he was hurt.)

So? Have him for 1 year then lose him for nothing?

If he signs a big extension this year then great. But then we risk losing Rendon.

I'd rather take a package of young players under control AND a signed Rendon than Harper.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #12: October 26, 2017, 04:59:24 PM »

If he signs a big extension this year then great. But then we risk losing Rendon.

I'd rather take a package of young players under control AND a signed Rendon than Harper.

In what world will we get this for Harper? no one is trading their A+ prospects for one year of harper

Offline Expos

« Reply #13: October 26, 2017, 05:00:19 PM »
In what world will we get this for Harper? no one is trading their A+ prospects for one year of harper

If they know they can sign him they will.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #14: October 26, 2017, 05:01:46 PM »
Oh, I don't know if that's true. I think you'd still get a pretty huge haul for Harper if you trade him, even at the deadline. But for the Nats, who still think they're going to be in the mix next year, I'd think they'd rather have Harper than anything they'd get back for him.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15: October 26, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »

That's the thing. You don't get nothing. You get Bryce Harper level production for a season in which you are contending for a World Championship. Teams that are in contention usually don't trade away valuable assets. Trading Harper only makes sense if you are out of the playoff race.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #16: October 26, 2017, 05:12:57 PM »
That's the thing. You don't get nothing. You get Bryce Harper level production for a season in which you are contending for a World Championship. Teams that are in contention usually don't trade away valuable assets. Trading Harper only makes sense if you are out of the playoff race.
And, if you go let Harper walk, you'll get a couple draft picks as well.

Offline Expos

« Reply #17: October 26, 2017, 07:03:31 PM »

Well I'm not sure we are better off with him. Yes he is great but we can with without him and what are the odds he plays all 153?

I'd rather take a haul of players under control than risk losing him for nothing.

If he doesn't sign before the Trade deadline I think we need to let him go.

I think Harper will go to the highest bidder and I'm not prepared to make him the highest paid player in baseball limiting who we can sign in the future. I'd rather have a deep lineup and keep Turner and Rendon locked up.

If we made it further into the playoffs giving the Lerners more profit then maybe. But I can't see it considering how we bent over the last 3 times we made it in.

Offline More of #34

« Reply #18: October 26, 2017, 07:05:46 PM »
NO! :roll:

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #19: October 26, 2017, 07:57:53 PM »
I certainly think it's something we should consider...

Offline hotshot

« Reply #20: October 26, 2017, 08:34:34 PM »
Do you understand how no trade clauses work?

Depending on the trade partner, the no-trade issue might be worked out. If he's as bright as a UVA grad ought to be, he'd recognize a move to the AL could lengthen his career considerably. Might become the new Jim Thome.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21: October 26, 2017, 09:10:54 PM »
Given what a rental like JD Martinez went for, I don’t think one year of Harper will bring as much as folks think. The new rules regarding draft pick compensation really drove down value for position players this year.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #22: October 26, 2017, 09:21:36 PM »
What would get a better return?  Trading Harper in the offseason or at the deadline?   I tend to think that you actually might get more at the deadline or at least not much of a difference.  If that's true, then why trade him now?   We can decide at the deadline if this looks like it is going to be our year, or cash him in for what we can.

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #23: October 27, 2017, 01:55:57 AM »
This brutal trade proposal post belongs on hfboards.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #24: October 27, 2017, 07:31:11 AM »
With one year left on his contract there's no way the Nats would get anywhere near full value for him...that's the way it goes whenever a seller is more eager than any potential buyer.