Author Topic: How are you calling the lerners cheap???  (Read 2564 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: How are you calling the lerners cheap???
« Reply #25: November 14, 2017, 02:10:28 PM »
Zuck with a look at payroll:

http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2017/11/where-the-nationals-payroll-stands-heading-into-the-winter.html

...... the Nationals are looking at a projected payroll (according to Cot’s Contracts) of $193 million. And the luxury tax threshold is set to be $197 million.

That’s not a lot of wiggle room to make significant additions this winter. Though it also needs to be pointed out that the Nationals actually went over the luxury tax threshold this season for the first time in club history and thus paid a 20 percent tax on the amount they surpassed the threshold. If they pass it again next year, they’ll be taxed at a 30 percent rate.

yeah, definitely cheap.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #26: November 14, 2017, 02:36:57 PM »
They totally should have overpaid a first time manager to prove they aren’t cheap
No, they totally should have sprung for a real manager.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #27: November 14, 2017, 02:43:54 PM »
No, they totally should have sprung for a real manager.

Like Dusty?

Offline Ray D

Offline Ray D

« Reply #29: November 14, 2017, 04:14:45 PM »
This statement makes no sense.  The Nats are spending almost $200 million a year on players plus lord knows how much on front office, back office, and operations staff. Which do you think is more likely?

-They think Dusty has a decent chance at getting past the NLDS but want to save about $1.5-2.5 million so they let him walk away

or

-They are skeptical that Dusty will get past the NLDS so they want to try a different manager; they get a rookie since it's super fashionable right now and they pay him the going rate for rookies

hmmm....

Neither.  They think a manager serves little or no purpose, so go for the cheapest.  I don't pretend to know how much of a factor a manager is.  But the point is, neither do they. The Lerners have no business making these sort of judgements.  Leave it to the experts, most of which think a manager is important.   

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #30: November 14, 2017, 04:32:35 PM »
Neither.  They think a manager serves little or no purpose, so go for the cheapest.  I don't pretend to know how much of a factor a manager is.  But the point is, neither do they. The Lerners have no business making these sort of judgements.  Leave it to the experts, most of which think a manager is important.   

The same expert who hired riggleman, davie, Williams and Dusty?

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #31: November 14, 2017, 04:33:49 PM »

Who says the expert didn't tell them this was the right guy at the right price?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #32: November 14, 2017, 10:21:13 PM »
The same expert who hired riggleman, davie, Williams and Dusty?
Davie Johnson and Dusty Baker were good hires. Very good.  I'm not really sure who hired Riggleman (Rizzo or Bowden).  Williams was the only bad hire, and yet, he was "manage of the year".

Offline Ray D

« Reply #33: November 14, 2017, 10:25:46 PM »
Who says the expert didn't tell them this was the right guy at the right price?
The expert in this case was Rizzo, and he wanted Dusty retained.  Once Dusty was gone, there really weren't any options (I am assuming that Girardi didn't want the job, but it's probably moot because the Lerners wouldn't have agreed to pay him). Martinez was the only guy left.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #34: November 14, 2017, 10:28:43 PM »
And anyway what the hell does "the right price" mean?  If there is a guy who can win a championship, why should the price matter?  If we're still talking about a contract for Bryce Harper that might exceed $400M, why in gods name can't we pay a manager $4M?  A manager like Girardi would have been at least as valuable as Harper.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: November 14, 2017, 10:33:18 PM »
And anyway what the hell does "the right price" mean?  If there is a guy who can win a championship, why should the price matter?  If we're still talking about a contract for Bryce Harper that might exceed $400M, why in gods name can't we pay a manager $4M?  A manager like Girardi would have been at least as valuable as Harper.
Like the angels, it sure helped them. Maybe they just needed to give Dusty a raise to motivate him to get out of the first round

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #36: November 15, 2017, 07:29:14 AM »
The fact they hired a rookie manager from the bargain basement  proves to me that old man is not at all concerned about bringing a world championship to DC before he goes to the big mall in the sky, as much as is assumed by fans and the media. Either that or he thinks he can buy immortality. After Williams left I seem to remember the company line being they were not going to make the mistake of hiring a rookie manager again.

Anyway the old man wants to win it a lll is as much a myth as Little Danny wants to win....they both have other fish to fry

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/food-drink-fish_and_chips-fish_shops-fishmongers-chip_shops-fishes-mfln7378_low.jpg

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #37: November 15, 2017, 08:08:32 AM »
Anybody forget about the MASN deal potentially effecting them from spending money? Everyone is frustrated from not getting passed the first round,

Not true at all.  Every team we have played has passed us in the first round.

Offline nats4ever

« Reply #38: November 15, 2017, 02:18:17 PM »
The fact they hired a rookie manager from the bargain basement  proves to me that old man is not at all concerned about bringing a world championship to DC before he goes to the big mall in the sky, as much as is assumed by fans and the media. Either that or he thinks he can buy immortality. After Williams left I seem to remember the company line being they were not going to make the mistake of hiring a rookie manager again.

Anyway the old man wants to win it a lll is as much a myth as Little Danny wants to win....they both have other fish to fry

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/food-drink-fish_and_chips-fish_shops-fishmongers-chip_shops-fishes-mfln7378_low.jpg
What do you mean the owners don't want to win. Thats bs.
"The Nats already carry the highest payroll in the National League East. Contrary to popular opinion, they are not cheap."

You think this team would do better with Angelos or the Pirates. No I didn't think so.
https://districtondeck.com/2017/11/15/washington-nationals-door-open-bryce-harper-extension/

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #39: November 15, 2017, 02:34:39 PM »
And how many managers are out there and available like Girardi ? Haven't you seen the posts cataloging managers salaries ? Dusty was probably in the top ten at 2 mil.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #40: November 15, 2017, 03:12:29 PM »
And how many managers are out there and available like Girardi ? Haven't you seen the posts cataloging managers salaries ? Dusty was probably in the top ten at 2 mil.

Top ten? There are only 12 known salaries from last season.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #41: November 15, 2017, 03:39:22 PM »
What do you mean the owners don't want to win. Thats bs.
"The Nats already carry the highest payroll in the National League East. Contrary to popular opinion, they are not cheap."

You think this team would do better with Angelos or the Pirates. No I didn't think so.
https://districtondeck.com/2017/11/15/washington-nationals-door-open-bryce-harper-extension/

It is more important they stay competitive to sell tickets. The WS is not the goal the bottom line is the  guidepost

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #42: November 15, 2017, 03:45:17 PM »

It is more important they stay competitive to sell tickets. The WS is not the goal the bottom line is the  guidepost

If that was the case, they would have re-upped Dusty regular season baker

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #43: November 15, 2017, 03:46:57 PM »

:roll:  enough with this already.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #44: November 15, 2017, 04:28:29 PM »
Top ten? There are only 12 known salaries from last season.
That would put him in the top 8 of salaries

Offline nats4ever

« Reply #45: November 15, 2017, 05:13:36 PM »

I thinking making the playoffs is competitive. It's just the issue of advancing in the playoffs.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #46: November 15, 2017, 05:36:39 PM »
That would put him in the top 8 of salaries

Baker? There were only two of the twelve making less than Martinez. Davey will be making about a third of the known average.

That being said, he's being overpaid.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #47: November 16, 2017, 01:07:25 PM »

You can't really believe this?

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #48: November 17, 2017, 08:09:52 AM »
You can't really believe this?

I have no way of knowing whether to believe it. In my mind I suspect it. The Lerners have a well earned reputation of being a ruthless business family; baseball is nothing but another business to them--I suspect. But they will never share their beliefs on the subject with me and any news or statements which comes from any professional sports team is done so to manipulate the fan base. Sports offices lie; I am left to wallow in my suspicions  :lol: