Author Topic: How are you calling the lerners cheap???  (Read 2563 times)

Offline nats4ever

How are you calling the lerners cheap???
« Topic Start: October 21, 2017, 12:03:41 AM »
Anybody forget about the MASN deal potentially effecting them from spending money? Everyone is frustrated from not getting passed the first round, the owners have been willing to spend money. Everybody was whining that they don't spend money before they signed those guys. At the time the Jayson Werth was a hot free agent everybody was shocked they signed him. When Max was available everybody didn't see the nats getting him. Daniel Murphy, nobody thought this would workout.

I don't get how you call the lerners cheap with all these free agents they added. I notice on the forum if a player they sign you always blame the owners for signing a bad free agent if they under perform or don't do well. Then when that player is good everybody wanst to hop the wagon again praise the Lerners and Rizzo. If you feel their cheap check out a pittsburgh pirates forum and switch teams and look at their owner.

If your true fan then you ride out with what is happening struggle or not Or jump ship to another team and then when the nats start winning again become a fan again. I'm frustrated by all the front running of the fan base.

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
Re: How are you calling the lerners cheap???
« Reply #1: October 21, 2017, 12:10:35 AM »
Not willing to pay the status quo for a good manager, losing needed free agents to other teams because the nats offer deferred money deals, and they unwilling to add money before or during the season to fill an obvious need are 3 examples of the Lerners being cheap. It's possible that Mark Lerner would spend money, but as long as Ted is alive, he's the one calling the shots.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2: October 21, 2017, 06:48:01 AM »
While the criticism frustrates me as well, I'm not sure if all the criticism is a sign of anyone planning to jump ship.  It's actually a sign of a fanbase willing to stick with the Nats through thick & thin - as was evident the first few years the team was in DC.

If your true fan then you ride out with what is happening struggle or not Or jump ship to another team and then when the nats start winning again become a fan again. I'm frustrated by all the front running of the fan base.

Offline nats4ever

« Reply #3: October 21, 2017, 11:08:11 AM »
Not willing to pay the status quo for a good manager, losing needed free agents to other teams because the nats offer deferred money deals, and they unwilling to add money before or during the season to fill an obvious need are 3 examples of the Lerners being cheap. It's possible that Mark Lerner would spend money, but as long as Ted is alive, he's the one calling the shots.
So would you rather have the pirates owner then Ted??? People are putting the blame back on now that their cheap because they lost. If they won none of the things you mentioned nobody would have said.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #4: October 21, 2017, 11:48:03 AM »
I think it was easier to deal with the bad back in 2006-2010. Fans knew how bad the on-field team was, and the farm was bereft of good talent ready to perform. Now, we are looking at a meddling ownership group that pays for the Boras clients and other "big time names" and refuse to pay the manager or the coaches. They run the team very differently than other successful franchises. It works for them, but they get tons of flack. As a fan, I'm tired of seeing new management every two years. It shows lack of faithfulness to good people, which means that add that to the pitiful salary and the pool of talent that are willing to interview goes down.

You have to budget in a good manager. It's pay to play. Ownership doesn't want to believe that because they feel a manager doesn't add enough value for the money, but are easily swayed by Boras to add valueless additions like Soriano and contrast to how I felt about the signing, Wieters.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #5: October 21, 2017, 11:51:51 AM »
I think it was easier to deal with the bad back in 2006-2010. Fans knew how bad the on-field team was, and the farm was bereft of good talent ready to perform. Now, we are looking at a meddling ownership group that pays for the Boras clients and other "big time names" and refuse to pay the manager or the coaches. They run the team very differently than other successful franchises. It works for them, but they get tons of flack. As a fan, I'm tired of seeing new management every two years. It shows lack of faithfulness to good people, which means that add that to the pitiful salary and the pool of talent that are willing to interview goes down.

You have to budget in a good manager. It's pay to play. Ownership doesn't want to believe that because they feel a manager doesn't add enough value for the money, but are easily swayed by Boras to add valueless additions like Soriano and contrast to how I felt about the signing, Wieters.

Don’t we have one of the highest paid pitching coaches in baseball?

Online Mattionals

« Reply #6: October 21, 2017, 12:16:15 PM »

I heard that before but I'm not sure how much he gets paid, or how much any PC gets paid. Is there a site to look that up?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: October 21, 2017, 12:17:49 PM »
I heard that before but I'm not sure how much he gets paid, or how much any PC gets paid. Is there a site to look that up?

Not sure if anyone compiles it, but usatoday reported it when he was signed

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2015/11/04/nationals-hire-mike-maddux-pitching-coach/75172248/

The Lerners seem willing to spend on quality and where they think more money buys them a competive edge- I don’t think that’s cheap

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #8: October 21, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »

Didn’t that guy just get fired?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: October 21, 2017, 12:46:50 PM »

Is anyone reporting that they have?

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #10: October 21, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »
Contract expires along with the remainder of the coaching stall at the end of October. Not sorry to see "Sendley" go.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #11: October 21, 2017, 02:24:27 PM »
Contract expires along with the remainder of the coaching stall at the end of October. Not sorry to see "Sendley" go.

True, but Maddux was the pitching coach before Dusty was the manager. I'll bet Maddux is back, in one position or another, if he wants to be.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #12: October 21, 2017, 03:15:47 PM »
Maddux was the pitching coach before Dusty was the manager.

I don't think so.  Both here two seasons.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #13: October 21, 2017, 03:19:53 PM »
I don't think so.  Both here two seasons.

Maddox was hired before Dusty foe whatever that’s worth

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #14: October 21, 2017, 03:23:51 PM »
Yep, that's what I meant.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #15: October 21, 2017, 04:03:18 PM »

Wait, Maddox isn't our pitching coach anymore??

Offline Ray D

« Reply #16: October 21, 2017, 04:14:02 PM »
Dusty was hired November 3, Maddux November 4.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #17: October 21, 2017, 10:25:24 PM »
Wait, Maddox isn't our pitching coach anymore??

Apparently all the coaches' contracts have expired. I think Ken Rosenthal already reported Maddux is in the running for Manager. I am usually hesitant with non position player managers, but it has worked before.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #18: October 22, 2017, 07:57:22 AM »
I'd rather keep Maddux where he is.  The idea of a pitching coach as manager gives me bad flashbacks to loosely following the dumpster fire that was the '98 Orioles with Ray Miller as their manager.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #19: October 22, 2017, 10:26:54 AM »
I'd rather keep Maddux where he is.  The idea of a pitching coach as manager gives me bad flashbacks to loosely following the dumpster fire that was the '98 Orioles with Ray Miller as their manager.

I believe less than 40-45 managers all time have been pitchers. Catchers tend to make the jump the most, followed by outfielders. I can't seem to find the track record of managers and winning percentage by position played, but last I can think John Farrell helmed the BoSox to the 2013 WS win. I also know that Bud Black has been successful as a pitcher turned manager, but has also had pretty bad teams, or in the case of this year, teams that overperformed but didn't have enough talent to lock it down.

Hopefully the organization has finally assessed enough data to figure out who and what they need. They need big league experience either in the form of Manager, Bench Coach, or less likely Pitching Coach. They need someone laid back who can handle "personalities" although with Werth gone that should help some, but there is always Harper. They should look to someone who handles new data much better, and can harness how to keep guys loose and have a flexible lineup. Especially with the emergence of Taylor, the "coming soon" of Robles, and the issues of Zim not being able to play everyday (although Dusty did pretty good this year at that one), you need a manager who can mix and match parts here and there so there are no "going with MY guy" decisions.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #20: October 23, 2017, 11:01:04 AM »
I believe less than 40-45 managers all time have been pitchers.
And the ones that have, that I can recall, have failed.  Pitchers are in a different world.  They are able to go through their career without contemplating the entire game.  They need only think about pitching.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #21: November 14, 2017, 12:28:23 PM »
Is there anyone left who can honestly say with a straight face that the Lerners are not cheap, after what we've just learned about what they are paying the new manager. Apparently money was the only reason they did not retain Dusty.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #22: November 14, 2017, 12:30:18 PM »
Is there anyone left who can honestly say with a straight face that the Lerners are not cheap, after what we've just learned about what they are paying the new manager. Apparently money was the only reason they did not retain Dusty.

They totally should have overpaid a first time manager to prove they aren’t cheap

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #23: November 14, 2017, 01:17:08 PM »

This statement makes no sense.  The Nats are spending almost $200 million a year on players plus lord knows how much on front office, back office, and operations staff. Which do you think is more likely?

-They think Dusty has a decent chance at getting past the NLDS but want to save about $1.5-2.5 million so they let him walk away

or

-They are skeptical that Dusty will get past the NLDS so they want to try a different manager; they get a rookie since it's super fashionable right now and they pay him the going rate for rookies

hmmm....

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #24: November 14, 2017, 01:26:13 PM »
WHERE IS HAMMONDSNATS?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!