Author Topic: Fire [insert name here] -Manager Search (2018 edition)  (Read 17184 times)

Online Natsinpwc

I didn't listen but yikes just the summary makes me think this guy is nowhere near ready to manage a team.
Amen.  They need someone who has managed or been a MLB bench coach.

Offline hotshot

Ted Williams, who did not come close to having the right personality to manage and had a WEAK roster, achieved a 21 game improvement over the previous season with the first team he ever managed, the Senators of 1969. He did it as DeRosa claims he is, "as a leader of men." I don't think "bench coaches" as we now know them existed in 1969. Experience can be overrated.

Offline Ray D

So ... per MLB Network, Mark DeRosa came within a hair's breadth of getting the Mets job. Who would excite you more for the Nats to name, Martinez or DeRosa?

What would excite me most would be for DeRosa to get the Mets job.   I cannot see what everyone sees in him.  Yeah, he's pretty with a good personality.  What else?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Interesting interview by Mike Francessa (WFAN-NY) of DeRosa about DeRosa's experience being interviewed by Mets.  Says he wasn't really prepared, was hurt by not coming in with a plan for the team, considers himself a leader of men, isn't really prepared from "nuts and bolts" of day-to-day managing, may need to get mgr/bench experience first, but was ultimately disappointed he didn't get the job.  Worth a listen if you are intrigued by the possibility of him managing someday, as I am. 

This is a good reminder the only reason I'd have been okay with Cora is he had a year on the bench.

DeRosa could come in tomorrow and manage 9 innings of baseball, but I want someone who has experience before the first pitch and after the last out. This is a win now team. We don't need someone learning on the job.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Bring in Leyland. Sign him a one year contract. Tell him Martinez (or whoever the Nats want) will be his bench coach and then make that person the manager in 2019. You could even bring in DeRosa in that instance, although I wouldn't prefer it.
I don't think anyone can argue with Leyland's bona fides. And this plan doesn't potentially ruin 2018 on a rookie manager but still sets Nats up for the future. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Ted Williams, who did not come close to having the right personality to manage and had a WEAK roster, achieved a 21 game improvement over the previous season with the first team he ever managed, the Senators of 1969. He did it as DeRosa claims he is, "as a leader of men." I don't think "bench coaches" as we now know them existed in 1969. Experience can be overrated.

I think Wayne Terwilliger did the "strategic" managing in 1969. Williams taught the hitters how to think about hitting and taught the pitchers how hitters thought.  I got that from Stephen J. Walker, "A Whole New Ballgame", a beautiful book, based around a reunion of the team.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
I've always wondered why Ted Williams is so lauded by old Senators fans since the team went back to sucking after the relatively successful '69 campaign.  Did the team make a bevy of bad front office moves after the '69 season?  Is he given a pass for the '70 and '71 teams sucking because they just weren't that good of a team; thus, the lone miracle of getting a winning record out of the 1969 club is enough to warrant praise?

Offline hotshot

I think Wayne Terwilliger did the "strategic" managing in 1969. Williams taught the hitters how to think about hitting and taught the pitchers how hitters thought.  I got that from Stephen J. Walker, "A Whole New Ballgame", a beautiful book, based around a reunion of the team.

If memory serves, Twig was the third base coach (think Nellie Fox coached over at first), so ... Ted woulda been on his own making moves when the Senators were up (unless Twig was signaling Ted from the coaching box).

Offline slhubic

Bring in Leyland. Sign him a one year contract. Tell him Martinez (or whoever the Nats want) will be his bench coach and then make that person the manager in 2019. You could even bring in DeRosa in that instance, although I wouldn't prefer it.
I don't think anyone can argue with Leyland's bona fides. And this plan doesn't potentially ruin 2018 on a rookie manager but still sets Nats up for the future. 

hmmm, I actually didn't think of this, but like the idea.  I respect him as a manager, absolutely, and I think they need an actual manager who is an accomplished manager, and they need a manager who is more old-school.  the biggest mistake they ever made was with that utter loser, 'williams', who was an utter joke, and who would have fit this mold (save for the fact that he was the worst manager I've ever seen), but it's like my 'blue jays', where the team is screaming for a manager who will not be a "players" manager (not that dusty exactly was this, but...)...

and, for a quick aside, not that he would work now, even if we could have him at the age when he actually did manage the nats, but I loved Mr. Robinson.

anyways...but if this was something that could be done, and then if you were also, somehow, able to add a bench manager such as has been discussed, and who has the cache of the up-and-coming manager material, he can be groomed even more so to be next in line.

Offline hotshot

I love Leyland but not sure the Nats wanna hire someone who will be 73 in December ... even for one year.  And, for one year, if I were Leyland I'd wanna back up a big Brinks truck for what it would take to sign me.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

Leyland has a better chance of dying before the 2018 season starts than he does getting this DC CURSED team beyond the first round of the playoffs.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Letland has already said he's done with coaching.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
There is a goofy article in the Post this morning on pursuing Joe Girardi as next year's manager.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/if-nationals-are-serious-about-a-world-series-they-should-make-joe-girardi-an-offer/2017/10/24/2c5e9ff0-b8f2-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.09f651941e79

The rep is that the Lerners won't pay and won't commit for enough years to get a top guy. But another Lerner rep (fault) is the desire to go counter to public perception. They'll have Rizzo declare that the media and fans had no influence on the hiring decision, but clearly they are hyper concerned with public image.

Offline Ray D

I've always wondered why Ted Williams is so lauded by old Senators fans since the team went back to sucking after the relatively successful '69 campaign.  Did the team make a bevy of bad front office moves after the '69 season?  Is he given a pass for the '70 and '71 teams sucking because they just weren't that good of a team; thus, the lone miracle of getting a winning record out of the 1969 club is enough to warrant praise?

You had to be there.  Senator fans were as proud of that '69 team (that won 86 games after years of losing), as were Nats fans in 2012 for winning the division.  In fact many fans don't recall (or at least don't think about) '70 and '71.  Williams gets a pass for '71 after Bob Short ruined the team with one of the worst trades in history (Denny McClain).  He gets no pass for 1970, which was and remain a complete mystery to me.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
GIRARDI OUT AS YANKEES MANAGER per ESPN. SIGN HIM!!!

Offline UMDNats

I don't see any reason Girardi would come to DC. I expect he is out because he wants to take a year off. He''s been working for a very professional organization for 10 years, why come to this crapshow?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I don't see any reason Girardi would come to DC.

They can win right now.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
GIRARDI OUT AS YANKEES MANAGER per ESPN. SIGN HIM!!!
Why?

Offline UMDNats

They can win right now.

He could win in NYY, too. He has a much better team in NYY. This is being reported as mutual. He's probably burned out. We're clearly a freaking circus.

Offline UMDNats

Hmm maybe the Yankees decided to move on:

https://twitter.com/YankeesWFAN/status/923561546973876224

That's...interesting.

Offline Baseball is Life

He could win in NYY, too. He has a much better team in NYY. This is being reported as mutual. He's probably burned out.

Sounds like the Yankees didn't want him.

@YankeesWFAN
“With a heavy heart, I come to you because the Yankees have decided not to bring me back.”—statement from Joe Girardi #Yankees

Offline OvechkinsWodka

• chicks dig curly W's
I would be OK if he lands here

Offline Baseball is Life

I would be OK if he lands here

Girardi would be a major upgrade. :D

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Hmm maybe the Yankees decided to move on:

https://twitter.com/YankeesWFAN/status/923561546973876224

That's...interesting.
Joe G has a great reputation, but in terms of pennants, he won with the over-the-top FA team in its prime in 2009 and not since.  He seemed to have a few "oops" moments that he had the press savvy to admit to but were quite Dustyesque.  It might be a little like Francona in 2011, a good manager who wore out on the team.  Of course, with all the rookies, its hard to see how the young core could be tired of him. This looks like an amicable split of folks who got tired with each other rather than the Dusty dumping. [edit - that heavy heart comment makes it look like it was the NYY who made the call and he would have been back had they wanted]

My guess is he takes a year off and then has his pick of jobs.  He'll go to a booth on ESPN or MLBNetwork, work when he wants, and wait until a golden job opens up.