Author Topic: Fire [insert name here] -Manager Search (2018 edition)  (Read 17343 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
FWIW, Murphy credited Long with helping him completely overhaul his swing. Murphy knew via stats that his approach was mediocre, knew that he had to increase his launch angle, and turned to the hitting coach to help him out. Long helped him figure out how to change his swing arc and stance to better suit a higher launch angle. That sounds like a hitting coach doing his job rather than getting players to fit a mold. I believe Long was also the hitting coach in the Bronx and was well respected for years and was let go after 2014 which looking back didn't have a bunch of great hitters anyway.

Not saying he is a shoe in to do better, but he may be consdidered with all new blood. Not sure who else is out there as a well recognized hitting coach.
FWIW, Granderson has always had his best years with Long.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
They’ll hire SOME BUM and you’ll all fool yourselves into thinking he’s not SOME BUM like you did with Dusty and then accept he’s SOME BUM when they get bounced like Lisa SparXXX tots at an NBA All-Star after party.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Brad Mills is my name you aren't hearing right now that I think will emerge as a candidate.  Francona's bench coach, did not have success at  Houston.  Luhnow fired him a week after he became GM.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
He’s definitely in the SOME BUM mold. Not saying he’s a bad manager but he’s an old white guy retread.

Offline dcpatti

I still don't know how I feel about the overall Dusty situation other than "it could have been handled better."

I do know, though, that the Game 4 scuttle was heavy on the "Stras is an overpaid hothouse flower who is going to let his team down" and he put an emphatic end to that narrative. He stepped up when he needed to, pitched like a boss, practically with an IV hanging out of his arm, and no one can really call him "orchid" any more.   Hopefully the Nats ownership will find some inspiration there and put an end to the "dysfunctional team who won't pay for a good manager" narrative as well. No I do not have any candidates in mind but there are more than 30 qualified guys out there. Go find one.

Offline Optics

I'd like a Manager with experience. If you look at recent World Series teams, they were all managed by guys who had managed before.

2017: Roberts and Hinch, both managed before.
2016: Maddon and Francona, both managed before.
2015: Yost and Collins
2014: Bochy and Yost
2013: Farrell(Matheny managed the Cards, he's the exception, no Manager experience prior, but they had continuity as he coached under La Russa)
2012: Bochy and Leland
2011: La Russa(Washington managed the Rangers, exception)
2010: Bochy(Washington again exception with Rangers)

So, since 2010, 13 of the 16 World Series teams had Manager who had managed another team prior.

Offline UMDNats

Please tell me what other hitters have blossomed under his instruction?

Murphy made Murphy what he is.

This is anecdotal, but I know a lot of players who have worked with Long and they all say he's one of the best they've ever had as a hitting coach. He is an awesome, A+ person.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Well, so much for that Alex Cora rumour ('because he's a Scott Boras client he might come here' someone was saying on the radio talk shows this past Saturday) - off the market as of yesterday (not that it was necessarily anything to take seriously in the first place).

It'll be difficult getting anyone of quality to come on board, given the ownership's lowballing on managerial salaries and the possibility that Rizzo (to say nothing about Harper, Murphy et al) could be outtahere after next season.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
What about Sandy Alomar and Phil Nevin? The wouldn’t be expensive and have good pedigrees. Or what about Ron Washington? He’s been to two World Series.

In any case unless the Nats hire someone by tomorrow, they will have to wait until November to hire someone because MLB discourages major news during the World Series.

Offline Ray D

In any case unless the Nats hire someone by tomorrow, they will have to wait until November to hire someone because MLB discourages major news during the World Series.

Is it just the World Series?  I thought it was the entire playoffs.  (And so I figured hiring a manager wasn't considered major news.)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
What about Sandy Alomar and Phil Nevin? The wouldn’t be expensive and have good pedigrees. Or what about Ron Washington? He’s been to two World Series.

The only tattoo I'd ever have is this one:

Loved him with the Padres, loved him with the Tribe as a player, and love him as the first base coach with the Tribe.  He'd be a dream hire but I don't see him taking this job considering the turnover and general incompetency of the front office.  It's going to have to be someone with nothing to lose like Brad Mills or Ron Washington or even Eric Wedge.  I don't see any YUNG GUNZ like Alomar even considering signing up for this mess.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I'd like a Manager with experience. If you look at recent World Series teams, they were all managed by guys who had managed before.

2013: Farrell(Matheny managed the Cards, he's the exception, no Manager experience prior, but they had continuity as he coached under La Russa)

So, since 2010, 13 of the 16 World Series teams had Manager who had managed another team prior.

I don't believe Farrell or Roberts had prior management experience in the majors before they were hired by the Red Sox and dodgers.  Farrell was a pitching coach and front office guy, and I think Roberts was also a front office guy.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I don't believe Farrell or Roberts had prior management experience in the majors before they were hired by the Red Sox and dodgers.  Farrell was a pitching coach and front office guy, and I think Roberts was also a front office guy.

Farrell was managing the Blue Jays before he came to boston.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Farrell managed they Jays for 2 years. Roberts managed the Padres for 1 game in 2015 after Bud Black was fired.

Offline NationalHeat

Dave Martinez will interview.

Offline dcpatti

Jorge Castillo on twitter:

The Nationals have reached out to Cubs bench coach Dave Martinez for their managerial opening and he will interview, per source.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

The Nationals have reached out to Cubs bench coach Dave Martinez for their managerial opening and he will interview, per source.

didn't we interview him in 2016 too?

Offline LoveAngelos

They won't pay Farrell what he will demand. Scratch him

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan

And one further, you actually have to go back to 2002 to find a World Series wherein both managers were in their first stint (ironically, one of those managers was Dusty himself).

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024

I like the Alomar idea. He's overdue a shot. I like the idea of Nevin. Experience in the minors and with Giants this season.

I just don't want and old retread like Wedge or Geren. I wouldn't mind taking a shot on a young manager like Ausmus or Porter who you think has potential, but if they consider an older manager with multiple stops they should have just kept Baker.

I can get on board with the idea of a Mike Maddux hire.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Dave Martinez will interview.

:woop: :pray:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Yep. Let's hope the 2nd time is a charm.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Farrell was managing the Blue Jays before he came to boston.
I meant a 'murikan team.  :mg:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
FWIW, Granderson has always had his best years with Long.
Granderson without Long: .272/.344/.484/.828
Granderson with Long: .243/.338/.467/.805

Yea, not seeing how Long made him a better hitter.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

2013 apparently. Why hasn’t this guy gotten hired by anybody yet after all these years?