Author Topic: Top priority: catcher  (Read 7216 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Top priority: catcher
« Reply #75: October 18, 2017, 08:17:30 AM »
There were whole newspaper articles devoted to it.  By reputable reporters.

I don’t remember any of them being sourced- I remember columnists speculating

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #76: October 18, 2017, 09:06:39 AM »
I see the Wieters scenario as he takes the opt in ( who wouldn't at 10.5 a year) after his dismal showing highlighted painfully in the Cubs series and he gets dumped like Papelbon mid season never to don a MLB uni again . Perhaps Rizzos worst signing ever but thankfully there were more wins than this one.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #77: October 18, 2017, 09:11:35 AM »
The relationship might get a return call for the Nats to match. Some contract construction.

Seems like that would be up to Stras, not to Boras.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #78: October 18, 2017, 09:16:26 AM »

Part of me think guys hire Boras so that they don't have to be the bad guy in contract situations. Of course, guys can also instruct him to take the best deal on the table from the team they prefer which some people forget

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #79: October 18, 2017, 09:32:08 AM »
we have a bunch of young catchers coming up" Severino, Read,  Kieboom etc   why not groom one or two for 2018?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #80: October 18, 2017, 10:40:03 AM »
I'm talking about Harper's upcoming contract situation.

Offline whytev

« Reply #81: October 18, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »
I’m not counting on this, but you gotta wonder if the bat bounces back. Remember how bad Zimmerman was a year ago? Guys with that much talent who aren’t that old make good bounce-back candidates. 

If he recovers, great. If he doesn’t, maybe he only hits against lefties.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #82: October 18, 2017, 11:15:13 AM »
I’m not counting on this, but you gotta wonder if the bat bounces back. Remember how bad Zimmerman was a year ago? Guys with that much talent who aren’t that old make good bounce-back candidates. 

If he recovers, great. If he doesn’t, maybe he only hits against lefties.

Nats fans certainly should be familiar with the "not that old" with some pedigree and past success bounce back.  Zimmerman was obviously a big-time example.  Gio was another major example this past season, although I think he returns back to the floor this coming season.  Harper also "bounced back" close to his 2015 MVP form after suspected injuries held him down in 2016.  I'm not a big believer in MW, but I also don't see many teams with great catchers and I don't think it's our highest priority. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #83: October 18, 2017, 11:49:50 AM »
I'm talking about Harper's upcoming contract situation.
Seems like that would be up to Harper, not Boras. As long as Boras gets *all* his money, what does he care where the player plays?

Online Slateman

« Reply #84: October 18, 2017, 11:52:56 AM »
Seems like that would be up to Harper, not Boras. As long as Boras gets *all* his money, what does he care where the player plays?
Ultimately, it is up to Harper, but to act like Boras doesn't have some influence over it is naive.  What I'm saying is that if it just about money, than helping Boras out with clients MAY get us some favorable contract negotiations, such as opt out clauses or some deferred money. Similar to how the Scherzer deal was negotiated.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #85: October 18, 2017, 02:03:53 PM »
Ultimately, it is up to Harper, but to act like Boras doesn't have some influence over it is naive.  What I'm saying is that if it just about money, than helping Boras out with clients MAY get us some favorable contract negotiations, such as opt out clauses or some deferred money. Similar to how the Scherzer deal was negotiated.

Naive? I'm being very cynical. Unless Boras more makes money, I doubt he does anything, unless his client specifically asks for it.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #86: October 18, 2017, 02:23:59 PM »

We have a great relationship with Boras already. You're smarter than this, come on. Being nice won't do crap for us. Harper is Boras' record-breaker.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #87: October 18, 2017, 02:38:03 PM »
we have a bunch of young catchers coming up" Severino, Read,  Kieboom etc   why not groom one or two for 2018?

The most obvious one is that they're not very good, at least not good enough to contribute anything meaningful as a starter.  And Kieboom is 26, so it's hard to call him young anymore.  For perspective, he's almost exactly the same age as MAT, who has well over 1000 major league at bats. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #88: October 18, 2017, 03:02:28 PM »
I also don't see many teams with great catchers and I don't think it's our highest priority. 
"Highest" is relative.  The reason I think it is our highest priority is that I don't see any other critical needs; with Taylor (hopefully) reaching his potential and Eaton back, Wieters will be the only hole in the lineup, and a gaping hole at that. 

Some people think we need another starter.  I don't (at least, it isn't a critical need). We won 97 with the rotation we have, and you can win the NLDS with two good pitchers;  we need to win the NLDS to call it a successful season, for next year if we get that far I'll be satisfied.

Some think we need relief help.  I don't. We have 4 sparkling relievers, and additional relievers always seem to be easy to pick up during the season.

So that's why I think it is the highest priority. Because I don't see a higher one.  What do you think is a higher priority?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #89: October 18, 2017, 03:23:08 PM »
I don't even mind the hole in the lineup so much as I mind having what seems to be a (now)below average defensive catcher with no arm. Maybe that's just my perception.

"Highest" is relative.  The reason I think it is our highest priority is that I don't see any other critical needs; with Taylor (hopefully) reaching his potential and Eaton back, Wieters will be the only hole in the lineup, and a gaping hole at that. 

Some people think we need another starter.  I don't (at least, it isn't a critical need). We won 97 with the rotation we have, and you can win the NLDS with two good pitchers;  we need to win the NLDS to call it a successful season, for next year if we get that far I'll be satisfied.

Some think we need relief help.  I don't. We have 4 sparkling relievers, and additional relievers always seem to be easy to pick up during the season.

So that's why I think it is the highest priority. Because I don't see a higher one.  What do you think is a higher priority?

« Reply #90: October 18, 2017, 03:31:58 PM »

I think another top-end SP is the higher priority.  Having somebody better than Gio as your #3 in a postseason series is vital as is a little insurance in case Max and/or Stras aren't healthy.

How many catchers are truly great hitters year after year?  Some have a decent season, then fall back off (Lucroy comes to mind).  I would love to have one, I just don't think we're at a disadvantage. 

« Reply #91: October 18, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »
I don't even mind the hole in the lineup so much as I mind having what seems to be a (now)below average defensive catcher with no arm. Maybe that's just my perception.

Yes, defense comes first with a catcher.  Either they need to hit or need to be a great defensive guy. At least one of those.  How many can you name that are both? 

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #92: October 18, 2017, 03:49:31 PM »

Who are the four sparkling relievers. Kintzler will not be back as he is a FA

Offline Ray D

« Reply #93: October 18, 2017, 06:04:29 PM »
Kintzler will not be back as he is a FA
Sign him.

Offline Optics

« Reply #94: October 18, 2017, 06:57:31 PM »
Harper was a C in High School :devil:

Online Slateman

« Reply #95: October 18, 2017, 06:58:27 PM »
Harper was a C in High School :devil:

Was a closer too

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #96: October 18, 2017, 06:59:21 PM »
Naive? I'm being very cynical. Unless Boras more makes money, I doubt he does anything, unless his client specifically asks for it.

Stras contract shows he can work around money for other things like Stras contract is so front loaded and has opt outs that we are paying up front for him. I suspect Harper can be done the same way.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #97: October 18, 2017, 07:00:31 PM »
Sign him.

too many decent middle relievers who can be gotten for less. you will pay for the 29 saves.

Online Slateman

« Reply #98: October 18, 2017, 07:07:17 PM »
Who are the four sparkling relievers. Kintzler will not be back as he is a FA

Hey, we have two next year. That's 200% more good relievers than we had going into the 2017 season

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #99: October 18, 2017, 07:12:58 PM »
too many decent middle relievers who can be gotten for less. you will pay for the 29 saves.
Meh, I might still do it. He's only closed for a year. Honestly, my biggest priority is Wade Davis and it's not really all that close. Kintzler's not gonna get anything close to that kind of a deal. Whether you bring back Kintzler or not, you need a guy like him. I'd bring back both Albers and Kintzler and go all in on Davis. That puts you at least 5 deep and you can if Kelley and Glover can get healthy and see if Romero can build on his year this year.