Author Topic: Top priority: catcher  (Read 7219 times)

Offline Ray D

Top priority: catcher
« Topic Start: October 13, 2017, 07:06:31 PM »
Nats will fail again next year if Wieters is the regular catcher.  One of Rizzo's dumbest move ever was to allow the option and he should be ashamed for letting Boras bully him into it, it wasn't as if any other teams wanted Wieters.  But being stuck with it doesn't mean he has to play.  Get rid of Lobaton and make Wieters the backup.  The entire rest of the team is solid with Eaton returning, and will be the best team in baseball - who knows, might even win the NLDS! With Wieters in the lineup, we're a good, but not great team. Rizzo need to go out and sign a free agent catcher.

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Top priority: catcher
« Reply #1: October 13, 2017, 07:28:06 PM »
I still think a number 3 is more important. You don’t need an ace, but I want someone who can be slated to start a post season game who at least inspires some confidence.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2: October 13, 2017, 08:16:49 PM »
Isn't well known that Boras works directly with the Lerners whenever he feels like it? Might not be able to blame Rizzo.

Nats will fail again next year if Wieters is the regular catcher.  One of Rizzo's dumbest move ever was to allow the option and he should be ashamed for letting Boras bully him into it, it wasn't as if any other teams wanted Wieters.  But being stuck with it doesn't mean he has to play.  Get rid of Lobaton and make Wieters the backup.  The entire rest of the team is solid with Eaton returning, and will be the best team in baseball - who knows, might even win the NLDS! With Wieters in the lineup, we're a good, but not great team. Rizzo need to go out and sign a free agent catcher.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #3: October 13, 2017, 08:18:03 PM »
A solid bull pen from the jump might be more important.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #4: October 13, 2017, 08:33:26 PM »
Severino will start as backup and will take the regular spot over from Wieters by August, barring some catastrophic failure. Read is a much better prospect than his two or three appearances with the Nats so far would indicate. I would be really, really surprised if we go shopping for a catcher.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5: October 13, 2017, 08:36:42 PM »
Is Kieboom any good?

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #6: October 13, 2017, 08:37:01 PM »
I still think a number 3 is more important. You don’t need an ace, but I want someone who can be slated to start a post season game who at least inspires some confidence.
Does anyone think Severino could replace Wieters, or at least Lobaton?  (He's supposed to be a strong defensive catcher).

It would be great to get a number three who we can count on in the playoffs.  It would be even better to get two starters (at least a number five rental who could start in the beginning of the year.  Hopefully Fedde will be our number 5 at some point next year.  The problem is he pitched so few innings this year, he would have to be shut down way early.  I wonder if Ross could be ready by then?) 

Are there any free agent number threes out there?  If not, I wonder what it would take to trade for one?

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #7: October 13, 2017, 08:59:22 PM »
Is Kieboom any good?

Hard to tell really. He started looking like that but had an injury and took a really long time to settle back in after that. I think Read has the better potential (as does the other Kieboom, at least, the other that’s already been drafted; there’s a third in college too, but Spencer is the only Kieboom catcher).

Offline ChicagoCubs

« Reply #8: October 13, 2017, 09:44:24 PM »

Yeah, I was happy anytime Weiters came up as he was an easy out for us and killed any momentum for you.  Worst case scenario we walk him or hit him with the ball, and then you have the slowest guy on the baseball field running the basepaths.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9: October 13, 2017, 09:54:51 PM »
Yeah, I was happy anytime Weiters came up as he was an easy out for us and killed any momentum for you.  Worst case scenario we walk him or hit him with the ball, and then you have the slowest guy on the baseball field running the basepaths.

I say this with all respect... Dude, why are you still here?

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #10: October 13, 2017, 10:54:57 PM »

His mom blocked twitter on his computer. Nowhere else to troll.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #11: October 13, 2017, 11:12:30 PM »
From everything I've read, the Nats are still high on Severino.  Assuming Wieters takes the option, I'd assume Severino starts the season as the backup and depending on how he does, gains an increasing amount of playing time as the season goes on.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #12: October 13, 2017, 11:24:17 PM »
Why with ANY respect?

Offline ChicagoCubs

« Reply #13: October 13, 2017, 11:37:06 PM »

Dude.  I root for the Nats as well just like you root for Michigan.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #14: October 13, 2017, 11:37:49 PM »
From everything I've read, the Nats are still high on Severino.  Assuming Wieters takes the option, I'd assume Severino starts the season as the backup and depending on how he does, gains an increasing amount of playing time as the season goes on.

This is the most prudent and realistic move, IMO.

Offline whytev

« Reply #15: October 14, 2017, 01:40:48 AM »
Remember when we gave away León for nothing because he was out of options and we were so enamoured with Lobatón?

Offline sph274

« Reply #16: October 14, 2017, 02:00:01 AM »
Sandy Leon sucked this year. But I guess he was as god as Weiters for a fraction of the cost

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: October 14, 2017, 09:13:57 AM »

What has weiters done to earn the starting position?

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #18: October 14, 2017, 09:40:12 AM »
I don't think Rizzo had much to do with signing Weiters...

Offline Ray D

« Reply #19: October 14, 2017, 10:41:26 AM »
I don't think Rizzo had much to do with signing Weiters...
Rizzo might have been directed by ownership to sign him still it was up to Rizzo to negotiate the deal I'm sure he wasn't directed how to do that.  There was no reason to include a second-year player option.  That was a costly mistake.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #20: October 14, 2017, 10:46:56 AM »

Some RP depth would be nice, as well.  Solis totally crapped the bed, and Kintzler wasn't exactly stellar either.  The 'pen has been fairly useless in most of the Nats' elimination games.

Offline whytev

« Reply #21: October 14, 2017, 11:54:20 AM »
Sandy Leon sucked this year. But I guess he was as god as Weiters for a fraction of the cost

He had a better OPS, barely, and his defence was head and shoulders better. Wieters’ money would have gotten a nice reliever.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #22: October 14, 2017, 02:15:03 PM »

Yes. It was painful to see Wieters in the on-deck circle. Maybe he calls a good game, but the Nats cannot run 2018 with Wieters and Lobaton. Either Severino is good enough to start or the Nats need to discover their next Wilson Ramos hiding as someone else's second string.

Also, yes, another starting pitcher. Maybe that's Fedde? Maybe it's a mid-rotation guy like Quintana...good enough to pitch in a playoff game even if he's not the next Max Scherzer.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #23: October 14, 2017, 02:24:00 PM »
Dude.  I root for the Nats as well just like you root for Michigan.

Ha! Welcome! Fifty years ago, I started college in Chicago, when the White Sox always nibbled around first place and the Cubs, I decided were the Washington Senators of the National League. The equivalent of a student union had a color TV -- first I'd seen -- and the building manager tuned in the Cubs every game. Ernie Banks ("Let's play two!"), Billy Williams, Randy Hundley, Glenn Beckert, Don Kessinger, Ron Santo, Fergie Jenkins and Ken Holztman. Cubs rampaged to first place early in the '67 season, then. sometime in June, went down to Saint Louis to stop the Cards. Got swept. Came back to Chicago and got swept again. Agony.

It was that way again in '68, and then came 1969, Seaver and Koosman and the Mets tracking down the Cubs, while my AL Nats worked toward a respectable winning season.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #24: October 14, 2017, 02:25:01 PM »
Wieters bat against right handers was not something to complain about.

Yes. It was painful to see Wieters in the on-deck circle. Maybe he calls a good game, but the Nats cannot run 2018 with Wieters and Lobaton. Either Severino is good enough to start or the Nats need to discover their next Wilson Ramos hiding as someone else's second string.

Also, yes, another starting pitcher. Maybe that's Fedde? Maybe it's a mid-rotation guy like Quintana...good enough to pitch in a playoff game even if he's not the next Max Scherzer.