Author Topic: Shouldn't someone on the Nats staff have known the interference rules?  (Read 4030 times)

Offline CowherPower

Joe Torre confirms today that Jerry Layne blew the backswing interference call, and pointedly states that managers have the right to request a rules check and Dusty never did. Even more inexcusable that no one on staff had enough knowledge of the rules to request a rules check.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/10/26/mlbs-joe-torre-confirms-that-nationals-were-hurt-by-a-blown-call-in-nlds-game-5/

Seriously, anyone bemoaning Dusty being fired just needs read that. 

I just can't blame Dusty on this.  When was the last time anyone has seen a replay challenge on a rule question?  I can honestly say I've never seen it before.  Here's what Torre said, but I've never seen any manager do this: "If you’ve got a question, a rule question — not a judgment question but a rule question — if you don’t like what the umpire’s telling you, ask him for a rules check. And they can do that. They can go to the replay center on the headset and check a rule."