Author Topic: An open letter to Gio Gonzalez  (Read 2758 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
An open letter to Gio Gonzalez
« Topic Start: October 13, 2017, 12:57:42 AM »
Dear Gio,

Please, do us Nats fans a favor.  The next time you feel that pit of nausea in your stomach before a playoff game that you just KNOW is going to take over your nervous system and make you the wildest pitcher since Henry Rodriguez, you need to listen to your "flight or fight" response and run the hell away.  Sight unseen, abandon your life as you know it.  Take your millions and run off to Costa Rica or New Zealand or some other faraway place where you can live peacefully.  None of us will begrudge you.  It will be better for all parties involved.

Alternatively, you can also hold out at the start of next season and demand to be traded to the San Diego Padres.  They are unlikely to make the postseason anytime soon, which should suit your play style.  San Diego is a pretty nice place.  It's even nicknamed "America's finest city."  The people of San Diego expect very little of their players.  Philip "doucheface" Rivers was a local hero there.  You would love your new life there.

Sincerely,
KFYM

Offline nats2playoffs

Re: An open letter to Gio Gonzalez
« Reply #1: October 13, 2017, 01:03:31 AM »
Dear Gio,

n2p

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: October 13, 2017, 01:35:50 AM »
Get bent. smooches, PA

PS have fun in baseball purgatory with Storen

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #3: October 13, 2017, 01:37:16 AM »
He's a puss of the highest magnitude. It's no coincidence he's started 3 of our 4 postseason elimination games.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: October 13, 2017, 06:38:49 AM »
People call stras a flower, but gio is a freaking orchid willing to wilt spectacularly fast

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #5: October 13, 2017, 07:07:57 AM »
I was going to start a thread entitled, "Can We Now Finally Be Done With Gio Gonzalez?" . . .  This one is better.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #6: October 13, 2017, 07:49:33 AM »
Phillips on xm notes that Gio looked like the last place he wanted to be was on the mound last night.

Offline Traded For Mclain

« Reply #7: October 13, 2017, 07:58:58 AM »
Phillips on xm notes that Gio looked like the last place he wanted to be was on the mound last night.

Gio needs to be gone.  This loss is on him just as 10/12/12 was really his fault more than Storen's.  The 2X Game 5 choker should never be on another post-season roster for the Nationals.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #8: October 13, 2017, 07:59:33 AM »
Good thing his option vested.

Online SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #9: October 13, 2017, 08:17:34 AM »
I mean, starting Gio in game 5 was just asking for trouble.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #10: October 13, 2017, 08:43:44 AM »
Bench EJax and Tanner in favor of Gio CHOKER Gonzalez. 

Good call!

So glad we gave this guy a big contract extension . . .

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #11: October 13, 2017, 08:44:33 AM »
Good thing his option vested.

More years of this crap.  Assuming we even make the playoffs . . .

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #12: October 13, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »
He had a very good year. As did his team. He sucked but so did the hitters other than Taylor for the first four games. They probably would have been better off last night leaving him in considering what happened.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #13: October 13, 2017, 08:52:35 AM »
They probably would have been better off last night leaving him in considering what happened.

:lmao:

Given his lengthy track-record of getting his crap together in the playoffs?  The only way you could possibly quantify the term "better off" would be that we all could have gone to bed earlier last night.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #14: October 13, 2017, 08:55:59 AM »
:lmao:

Given his lengthy track-record of getting his crap together in the playoffs?  The only way you could possibly quantify the term "better off" would be that we all could have gone to bed earlier last night.
Or just not following them at all.

Offline More of #34

« Reply #15: October 13, 2017, 09:00:08 AM »
Gio was awful.  But I never would have put in Edwin Jackson either.  Roark, whose name was battered around over and over, surely would have been the better choice.  I kind of felt sorry for the guy.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #16: October 13, 2017, 09:03:05 AM »
Gio was awful.  But I never would have put in Edwin Jackson either.  Roark, whose name was battered around over and over, surely would have been the better choice.  I kind of felt sorry for the guy.

I would've used Roark as well, but I would even take EJax over Gio at this point.

The only reason I can think of why Gio continues to be a major league pitcher is that he's left-handed. 

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #17: October 13, 2017, 09:36:59 AM »
I would've used Roark as well, but I would even take EJax over Gio at this point.

The only reason I can think of why Gio continues to be a major league pitcher is that he's left-handed. 

He was one of the top 5-10 pitchers in the NL this year by most any measure.   Seeing as how there are 75 SP jobs in the NL, there's not much danger of him not having a job.   

The walks were a killer though with a big lead.   Both last night and in 2012.   

Roark was going to be a huge question mark too.  He ended the season on a terrible note, and hadn't pitched since an awful relief appearance 11 days ago. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #18: October 13, 2017, 09:56:06 AM »
If Roark hadn't crapped out this season I think Gio is on trading block. This year and 2012. Just didn't get the job done.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #19: October 13, 2017, 10:10:35 AM »
Ron Darling said a lot of stupid stuff last night, but one thing he did get right was reaming Gio for nibbling with breaking balls when he had a 3 run lead against a demoralized team.  I hope that's the last time I see that tape.  Gio is now on Team Storen, in my view: players who, regardless of skill, must be traded for the good of the organization. 

For the remainder of my open letter, I simply quote from my post from a mid-year game I attended a few years ago (http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=33033.msg1605526#msg1605526):

"Gio: F you, you spineless, nibbling rodential little turd.  I've lost count of the number of times I've seen this team spot you leads, only to have you nibble and nibble while taking roughly 400 pitches over the course of six hours to wheeze your way through barely five innings and hand what should have been a routine win to the ass end of a bad bullpen.  I know Barrett sucks, and so do you.  So man the F up and pitch 6 or 7 innings.  This one's on you.  If you need to go back to Biogenesis and have your old man get some pills, well, then maybe you should do that.  FFS."

Some of the actors and props change over time, but the play itself doesn't. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #20: October 13, 2017, 10:23:00 AM »
If Roark hadn't crapped out this season I think Gio is on trading block. This year and 2012. Just didn't get the job done.
Should trade him anyway. His value will never be higher.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #21: October 13, 2017, 10:24:08 AM »
He certainly does get rattled easily...one of our fielders boots a ball behind him early in a match and it's Katy-bar-the-door after that, with 50-60 pitches thrown in the first two innings due to the strike zone suddenly becoming foreign...although there seemed to be a bit less of this in this past regular season than in 2013-16.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #22: October 13, 2017, 10:32:38 AM »
He was one of the top 5-10 pitchers in the NL this year by most any measure.   Seeing as how there are 75 SP jobs in the NL, there's not much danger of him not having a job.   

Then let him go pitch for a team (like the A's) who never make the playoffs so they don't have to deal with him crapting the bed in actual games that matter since they won't be playing in any of those anyway.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #23: October 13, 2017, 10:46:21 AM »
Then let him go pitch for a team (like the A's) who never make the playoffs so they don't have to deal with him crapting the bed in actual games that matter since they won't be playing in any of those anyway.
They can't start taking getting to the playoffs for granted.   I don't want him anywhere near a game 5 again, but he was a big reason we made it to the post season.

Our rotation was looking pretty thin by the end of the year, and probably got a bit exposed by Scherzer not being able to go in one of the first 2 games.

It sure is tough to go into the post season with 3 or 4 starters that are healthy and pitching well.   Adding to our starting rotation is our biggest offseason need, I'd say.   Bumping Gio down to 4 or 5 is more helpful than letting him go.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #24: October 13, 2017, 10:53:07 AM »
Bumping Gio down to 4 or 5 is more helpful than letting him go.

We already have Roark who we've done that to (unnecessarily) over Gio.