Author Topic: CHOKERS, LOSERS, FAILURES  (Read 6604 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: CHOKERS, LOSERS, FAILURES
« Reply #50: October 13, 2017, 12:07:22 PM »
Let's be honest here. If you take away all the lucky runs the Cubs got... the Nats win by at least 3 runs.
The Cubs got lucky last night and they know. Their fans know it. Baez strikes out clean there and they lose the game. Weiters hold onto the passed ball instead of chucking it into RF.. and they lose. Lobaton stays on the base or that stupid replay never gets challenged and they very likely may have rallied there.

Hats off to the Cubs, they won a wild series. there was luck playing into it for both teams (Russell's booted grounder in Gm 4).

The Nats tried hard to fight it, But it was just an extremely unlucky night...

Yeah.  It makes losing feel so much better when you put it like that.    :|

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #51: October 13, 2017, 12:11:32 PM »
That's awfully presumptuous . . .
Wait - your taking BiL's side in an argument?  :lol:

it does seem whoever knocks us out, their fans are deemed insufferable.  Go back through the threads each year.  Maybe not the SF Giants after 2014, but just about all the others.  So, if the D-backs were to knock us out next year, I'm guessing someone will say their fans are insufferable.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #52: October 13, 2017, 12:15:03 PM »
Wait - your taking BiL's side in an argument?  :lol:

it does seem whoever knocks us out, their fans are deemed insufferable.  Go back through the threads each year.  Maybe not the SF Giants after 2014, but just about all the others.  So, if the D-backs were to knock us out next year, I'm guessing someone will say their fans are insufferable.

Actually, I thought you were being awfully presumptuous about us making the playoffs next year....   :lol:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53: October 13, 2017, 12:32:08 PM »
Actually, I thought you were being awfully presumptuous about us making the playoffs next year....   :lol:
oh, it could be knocking us out of playoff contention, too.  That might be the series we have with them in May.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #54: October 13, 2017, 12:37:33 PM »
oh, it could be knocking us out of playoff contention, too.  That might be the series we have with them in May.

:clap:

freaking Diamondbacks fans!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55: October 13, 2017, 12:44:29 PM »

freaking Diamondbacks fans!
that arrogant freak Torrey Lovullo.  He stinks as much as our manager, ____________.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #56: October 13, 2017, 12:45:33 PM »
Lack of will and I

was personally embarrassed, a a life long localtonian, by the large Cub presence in the stands

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #57: October 13, 2017, 12:48:04 PM »
Zimmerman, just retire.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #58: October 13, 2017, 12:49:24 PM »
Zimmerman, just retire.

With the game on the line Zimm is an opposing managers best ally

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #59: October 13, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »
Over the loss... ready for next year to see what happens with the likes of Victor Robles, Michael Taylor, Adam Eaton, etc. with our revamped OF. It's also time to refund my roundtrip SW plane ticket from San Antonio to BWI for what was expected to be Game 3 of the World Series. I'm not disappointed... we just caught some bad breaks yesterday every time things went to the replay. We have an excellent team returning and the script could have very well been flipped on Cubs fans this morning. And anyone complaining about Max Scherzer... I'd take him in that same scenario 99.9% of the time. So is life... see ya guys at Opening Day next year.

Offline Optics

« Reply #60: October 13, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »
Say what you will: bad luck, cursed, choking, at the end of the day we lost in the NLDS, again, and it freaking sucks.

I don't know what the solution is. New Manager? Maybe, but is it Dusty's fault Weiters, at the very least a professional catcher, booted a ball, or that Scherzer hit a guy? Or that Lobaton lets himself get picked off 1st?

We couldn't hit the first four games, and when we finally did we couldn't pitch. Just annoying. We didn't have one complete nine inning game out of the five.

Something in this town is just plaguing the players here. You can feel the immense weight of pressure and it just grows exponentially with each playoff failure. For ALL the teams. The Nats are officially the Caps on grass(stole this line from someone on the CPND Redskins forum).

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #61: October 13, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »
Something in this town is just plaguing the players here. You can feel the immense weight of pressure and it just grows exponentially with each playoff failure. For ALL the teams. The Nats are officially the Caps on grass(stole this line from someone on the CPND Redskins forum).

This. The players all feel it, you can tell. Everyone knows both teams are cursed. Max was pressing last night and giving it everything he had. The guys all knew the feelings.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #62: October 13, 2017, 01:38:32 PM »
Over the loss... ready for next year to see what happens with the likes of Victor Robles, Michael Taylor, Adam Eaton, etc. with our revamped OF. It's also time to refund my roundtrip SW plane ticket from San Antonio to BWI for what was expected to be Game 3 of the World Series. I'm not disappointed... we just caught some bad breaks yesterday every time things went to the replay. We have an excellent team returning and the script could have very well been flipped on Cubs fans this morning. And anyone complaining about Max Scherzer... I'd take him in that same scenario 99.9% of the time. So is life... see ya guys at Opening Day next year.

Let's see how upbeat you are when this happens and that beautiful baby's a teenager.    :)

Offline ChiliPalmer14

• 2019 was neat
« Reply #63: October 13, 2017, 04:41:20 PM »
why yes, that W on my cap and shirt does stand for Walgreens!

Try living in Florida wearing that W.  These rednecks don't know what baseball is...you think they don't REALLY think I'm advertising a drugstore?

Offline Coladar

« Reply #64: October 13, 2017, 07:41:24 PM »
Like a bad haunting, I appear from out of the evanescence at the worst of times!

I think this goes beyond anything definable. Four playoffs, five years. Three game 5's. Four clinch losing games, all by one run. (Sorry, but 2012... welll... that was even worse than just a game lost by one, and more impossible) Four ultimately losing games, each marked down to just a *SINGLE* inning!!!

Each season's end like this, especially given those facts, sure, we can point to this or that, and call for them's guys' heads on a pike. But given the facts being what they are -those impossible, utterly inconceivable facts- proves (not just points towards, but both scientifically and definitively proves beyond all shadow of doubt) a far more endemic, pervasive causation.

I mean, an IBB, dropped K, CI, and HBP....?!? In an *INNING*, consecutively?!?! What are those odds (Oh, yeah, impossible - like 0-2,400,909... Scratch that, now 1-fer-2,400,000!)?

There is some good news to be found hereabouts: In MLB, the postseason is not some right, but a rare, rare gift. Teams go years on end without so much as a whiff of them. The Nats have now been blessed with four such gifts over six short seasons, spurning each and every last one of those in the worst ways conceivable. Them's gifts near their end, in all considerable likelihood- the MLB October well just about hath run dry. The pain might be almost over; as sudden and overwhelming fits of suicidal depression become replaced by something else we longer time fans also know all too well: Absolute and constant hopelessness springing forth from losses atop losses, at least in such a fashion as to ensure that October dreams remain just that: Dreams.

Which is better or worse? Who am I to say. One thing's for sure, though: Just once - just one single, lonesome little time - it would've been nice to have tasted some manner of victory in the crisp October chill air. I'm not trying to be greedy here, but, for such a cursed and downtrodden sports town, would a single NLCS really been asking for *that* much? Really...? At least not having these glimmer of World Series dreams get snatched from our noggin's in the closest, longest, cruelest means possible? One inning, one run, in one winner take all game?

Like I said, the only certainty here is that this is very much *not* a fluke. Further, the utter impossibility of absolutely unprecedented insanities never before considered feasible, even in the mundane slog of mind numbing excess which is 162 games a year for some 32 teams (I mean, IBB, Dropped K, CI, HPB!!!!!! ...?) There *IS* a problem, it is very real, and it is very much organizational, rather than calling for a player or coach's head here and there in the aftermath of this, only the latest such defeat in a string of stinging such defeats.

Either that, or blame Gio and/or Harper - this all nonsense started exactly with them in 2012 (*especially* Gio! The starter for this bookend of nightmares.) 'Elsewise, not much else one can look to over a span of six seasons where little remains unchanged save for the freakish impossibility of the losses, and yet their absolute consistency... Short of the Lerner family having some Voodoo curse/Nat's Park built on an Indian burial ground. And with this freakishness shared by all our sports teams + the Redskins name deal, may I suggest, in true South Park style, that we all go out tomorrow and make right with the nearest Native American descendants we can find (aka passionately swap genes with the very same...?)

*Sigh* - this story never seems to change, no matter how many eons pass between tellings of it, eh...? And now, much like those Native American spirits who spit upon our beloved sports teams, I too go off to rejoin them in the evanescent void. 'til next year, when I can prolly just copy+paste this whole entire post (minus the IBB+Dropped K+CI+HBP part... Probably.) anew. Now go out and make right with some Native American spirits!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65: October 13, 2017, 07:43:05 PM »
I might actually read it this time.  Welcome back!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66: October 13, 2017, 07:51:18 PM »
ok, I read it, didn't find a word of it believable, but glad you posted!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #67: October 13, 2017, 08:05:39 PM »
Two sentences, max, but I'm glad to hear from you! I hope you are well.

Like a bad haunting, I appear from out of the evanescence at the worst of times!

I think this goes beyond anything definable. Four playoffs, five years. Three game 5's. Four clinch losing games, all by one run. (Sorry, but 2012... welll... that was even worse than just a game lost by one, and more impossible) Four ultimately losing games, each marked down to just a *SINGLE* inning!!!

Each season's end like this, especially given those facts, sure, we can point to this or that, and call for them's guys' heads on a pike. But given the facts being what they are -those impossible, utterly inconceivable facts- proves (not just points towards, but both scientifically and definitively proves beyond all shadow of doubt) a far more endemic, pervasive causation.

I mean, an IBB, dropped K, CI, and HBP....?!? In an *INNING*, consecutively?!?! What are those odds (Oh, yeah, impossible - like 0-2,400,909... Scratch that, now 1-fer-2,400,000!)?

There is some good news to be found hereabouts: In MLB, the postseason is not some right, but a rare, rare gift. Teams go years on end without so much as a whiff of them. The Nats have now been blessed with four such gifts over six short seasons, spurning each and every last one of those in the worst ways conceivable. Them's gifts near their end, in all considerable likelihood- the MLB October well just about hath run dry. The pain might be almost over; as sudden and overwhelming fits of suicidal depression become replaced by something else we longer time fans also know all too well: Absolute and constant hopelessness springing forth from losses atop losses, at least in such a fashion as to ensure that October dreams remain just that: Dreams.

Which is better or worse? Who am I to say. One thing's for sure, though: Just once - just one single, lonesome little time - it would've been nice to have tasted some manner of victory in the crisp October chill air. I'm not trying to be greedy here, but, for such a cursed and downtrodden sports town, would a single NLCS really been asking for *that* much? Really...? At least not having these glimmer of World Series dreams get snatched from our noggin's in the closest, longest, cruelest means possible? One inning, one run, in one winner take all game?

Like I said, the only certainty here is that this is very much *not* a fluke. Further, the utter impossibility of absolutely unprecedented insanities never before considered feasible, even in the mundane slog of mind numbing excess which is 162 games a year for some 32 teams (I mean, IBB, Dropped K, CI, HPB!!!!!! ...?) There *IS* a problem, it is very real, and it is very much organizational, rather than calling for a player or coach's head here and there in the aftermath of this, only the latest such defeat in a string of stinging such defeats.

Either that, or blame Gio and/or Harper - this all nonsense started exactly with them in 2012 (*especially* Gio! The starter for this bookend of nightmares.) 'Elsewise, not much else one can look to over a span of six seasons where little remains unchanged save for the freakish impossibility of the losses, and yet their absolute consistency... Short of the Lerner family having some Voodoo curse/Nat's Park built on an Indian burial ground. And with this freakishness shared by all our sports teams + the Redskins name deal, may I suggest, in true South Park style, that we all go out tomorrow and make right with the nearest Native American descendants we can find (aka passionately swap genes with the very same...?)

*Sigh* - this story never seems to change, no matter how many eons pass between tellings of it, eh...? And now, much like those Native American spirits who spit upon our beloved sports teams, I too go off to rejoin them in the evanescent void. 'til next year, when I can prolly just copy+paste this whole entire post (minus the IBB+Dropped K+CI+HBP part... Probably.) anew. Now go out and make right with some Native American spirits!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #68: October 13, 2017, 08:39:38 PM »

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #69: October 13, 2017, 09:24:59 PM »
Better that Monkeyhit retire from WNFF

Zimmerman, just retire.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #70: October 13, 2017, 11:12:34 PM »

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #71: October 13, 2017, 11:15:17 PM »
welcome back Coladar!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #72: October 14, 2017, 09:32:25 AM »
Here's Boz on some the Nats' short comings:

The Nats don’t lack much. They’ll have a chance to search for the piece that’s missing in 2018 when they will have as good, or perhaps an even better team on paper with Adam Eaton back in left field for Werth, the arrival perhaps of Victor Robles, plus whatever is added in trades, promotions or free agent signings.

But if there is a pill that makes men hate losing, loath it and practically shake with frustration when they are thwarted, order 25 cases of ’em.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/in-the-cold-gray-of-the-day-after-nats-shortcomings-are-subtle-but-all-too-clear/2017/10/14/5a078b48-b095-11e7-9e58-e6288544af98_story.html?utm_term=.78a8e49d3dbe

We have no assassins.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #73: October 14, 2017, 09:44:14 AM »
Maybe having Alex Ovechkin and John Wall give the pregame pep talk was a bad idea!

;)

I wouldn't lump John Wall in with this mess. He nearly took a team with basically two other talented players on the roster to the ECF.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #74: October 14, 2017, 10:17:43 AM »
Not spreading rumors but I understand before game 5 a goat was denied entry at the Centerfield  gate.