Author Topic: 2017-2018 Off-season Discussion Thread  (Read 106034 times)

Offline Ray D

Re: 2017-2018 Off-season Discussion Thread
« Reply #1150: January 29, 2018, 04:14:33 PM »
If Realmuto can be had for Keiboom and either Fedde or Romero,

He can't.    But yes if he could Rizzo would do it in a heartbeat.  But he can't.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1151: January 29, 2018, 04:40:48 PM »
If Realmuto can be had for Keiboom and either Fedde or Romero, as I've seen speculated, I'd have to think Rizzo does it in a heartbeat.
I think if he saw that offer, he'd be more concerned about a heart attack he'd be so excited.  I can't imagine Realmuto would be that cheap.  And yes, maybe you then pick up Lynn and plan on not exceeding the threshold next year.  With all the $$ coming off the payroll in 2019, the threshold should not interfere with being able to do some reasonable signings. 

Offline hotshot

« Reply #1152: January 29, 2018, 05:47:28 PM »
Has any brave baseball pundit (or Forum member) speculated in terms of actual numbers what Robles' and Soto's ceilings are thought to be at this point? I'd settle for old-fashioned BA and HR projections.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1153: January 29, 2018, 05:51:40 PM »
Has any brave baseball pundit (or Forum member) speculated in terms of actual numbers what Robles' and Soto's ceilings are thought to be at this point? I'd settle for old-fashioned BA and HR projections.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/projecting-victor-robles/

Offline ChiliPalmer14

• 2019 was neat
« Reply #1154: January 29, 2018, 06:08:36 PM »
I think if he saw that offer, he'd be more concerned about a heart attack he'd be so excited.  I can't imagine Realmuto would be that cheap.  And yes, maybe you then pick up Lynn and plan on not exceeding the threshold next year.  With all the $$ coming off the payroll in 2019, the threshold should not interfere with being able to do some reasonable signings.

Only repeating info from an article on Bleacher Report.  It was speculation, and my optimism allowed me to roll with it as a jumping off point.  I think that if Soto would net Realmuto then another team must not have made a similar offer, especially since I'd assume that Miami, given a choice, wouldn't move him to a division rival.  So if a Soto (or Soto-ish) deal is not forthcoming, maybe a package around Kieboom gets it done.  I'm not predicting that, just hoping for it and running with it. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #1155: January 29, 2018, 08:25:02 PM »
Yanks signed Danny Esinosa.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1156: January 29, 2018, 08:56:16 PM »
Yanks signed Danny Esinosa.

So much for them being a juggernaut

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #1157: January 30, 2018, 03:55:52 PM »
Marlins fans have “settled” on thinking it’ll be Soto, Carter, Fedde and Antuna

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1158: January 30, 2018, 04:06:40 PM »

I now want Rizzo to pull off the deal, just for their delicious salt

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #1160: January 30, 2018, 04:41:42 PM »
I was kind of hoping we'd sign him to a minor league deal as insurance in case Murphy isn't ready instead of the dude we did sign.  Espi is a better glove and at least has some pop.  He'd likely spend most of the year in AAA, but I wouldn't mind having him for organizational depth (which we almost always need across the board). 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1161: January 30, 2018, 04:43:18 PM »
I was kind of hoping we'd sign him to a minor league deal as insurance in case Murphy isn't ready instead of the dude we did sign.  Espi is a better glove and at least has some pop.  He'd likely spend most of the year in AAA, but I wouldn't mind having him for organizational depth (which we almost always need across the board). 

It wouldn't surprise me if Espinosa feels the same about the Nats as we do about him.    Kind of like "been there, done that" unless it's my last option.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1162: January 30, 2018, 04:44:26 PM »

That's a big price- 4 of the top 10 prospects in the organization. Plus 2 of the top 3. They didn't get that much for Yelich and his contract was much more favorable.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #1163: January 30, 2018, 05:22:36 PM »
That's a big price- 4 of the top 10 prospects in the organization. Plus 2 of the top 3. They didn't get that much for Yelich and his contract was much more favorable.

Thanks for the fangraphs projection on Robles.

Think Realmuto and Bour, unlike the other Marlins traded, have no issue with riding it out down in Miami. So that takes a little bit of the pressure off to trade one or both. Too bad Bour doesn't catch. I mean the local guy aspect, and the way he rakes against the Nats ...

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #1164: January 30, 2018, 05:27:30 PM »
Thanks for the fangraphs projection on Robles.

Think Realmuto and Bour, unlike the other Marlins traded, have no issue with riding it out down in Miami. So that takes a little bit of the pressure off to trade one or both. Too bad Bour doesn't catch. I mean the local guy aspect, and the way he rakes against the Nats ...

Except Realmuto already requested a trade so he already said he doesn't want to "ride it out".

Offline hotshot

« Reply #1165: January 30, 2018, 06:22:50 PM »
Except Realmuto already requested a trade so he already said he doesn't want to "ride it out".

Per the Herald, he's OK with the situation. Guess there's a big difference between demanding and requesting a trade, and how adamant you are.

From Barry Jackson's article: "The Marlins felt more urgency to trade Christian Yelich than J.T. Realmuto, who also has asked for a trade, because they believed Yelich could become a sour presence in the clubhouse if he wasn’t traded, according to someone with direct knowledge of the team’s thinking.

The Marlins believe Realmuto will be a good soldier if he isn’t traded (and) feel no obligation to trade (him). (They] would only do it for an overwhelming haul in return. The Washington Nationals reportedly want Realmuto but are unwilling to give up either of their top two prospects."

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1166: January 30, 2018, 06:55:29 PM »
Per the Herald, he's OK with the situation. Guess there's a big difference between demanding and requesting a trade, and how adamant you are.

From Barry Jackson's article: "The Marlins felt more urgency to trade Christian Yelich than J.T. Realmuto, who also has asked for a trade, because they believed Yelich could become a sour presence in the clubhouse if he wasn’t traded, according to someone with direct knowledge of the team’s thinking.

The Marlins believe Realmuto will be a good soldier if he isn’t traded (and) feel no obligation to trade (him). (They] would only do it for an overwhelming haul in return. The Washington Nationals reportedly want Realmuto but are unwilling to give up either of their top two prospects."

Looks like they gave players a blueprint to get out if they want out

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #1167: January 30, 2018, 07:28:08 PM »

That screams Marlins spinning Realmuto's story to show they have more leverage in a deal. Still, Realmuto can't force a trade, and because he is in arb, his performance will dictate what he makes, so he can't just sit out.

Still, the Marlins know he is most valuable now, so if the offer is good enough, they should take it.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1168: January 30, 2018, 07:37:20 PM »
That screams Marlins spinning Realmuto's story to show they have more leverage in a deal. Still, Realmuto can't force a trade, and because he is in arb, his performance will dictate what he makes, so he can't just sit out.

Still, the Marlins know he is most valuable now, so if the offer is good enough, they should take it.

If you want put, I’m guessing you can force your way out- would enter want someone in the locker room constantly giving interviews bashing the front office?

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #1169: January 30, 2018, 08:05:56 PM »
 Multiple sources are tweeting that Avila has a deal with the DBacks. The DBacks were our most aggressive competition for Realmuto so this may help us in the market there.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #1170: January 30, 2018, 08:06:42 PM »

I want nothing to do with that price

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #1171: January 30, 2018, 08:06:55 PM »
Avila to DBacks

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #1172: January 31, 2018, 08:00:18 PM »

Would a package of Kieboom, Fedde, Seth Romero, and Goodwin be enough? I'm not sure if "adding on" will work for the Marlins in a "quantity over quality" type play, but I'm not sure what the future value would work out to.

If anything does happen on the catching side, Realmuto or other, what do the Nats do with Wieters? I'm trying to find a "bad contract trade" for Wieters to get his money moved elsewhere for another player in a position of need (reserve OF if Goodwin is traded, pitcher either starter or reliever) but I'm not finding anything that looks like it would work.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #1173: January 31, 2018, 08:33:20 PM »
Would a package of Kieboom, Fedde, Seth Romero, and Goodwin be enough? I'm not sure if "adding on" will work for the Marlins in a "quantity over quality" type play, but I'm not sure what the future value would work out to.

If anything does happen on the catching side, Realmuto or other, what do the Nats do with Wieters? I'm trying to find a "bad contract trade" for Wieters to get his money moved elsewhere for another player in a position of need (reserve OF if Goodwin is traded, pitcher either starter or reliever) but I'm not finding anything that looks like it would work.

Goodwin is of little interest to the Marlins. Fedde probably is in the same boat. They want youngsters whose big league service clocks haven’t started.

The Nats in general don’t dump contracts. Soriano was kept around long after his expiration date. Papelbon was kept around long after his expiration date and in spite of the anger and ridicule of the fans. I don’t see them changing, so any deal for a catcher would either need to be a backup, or someone who could play a bit at 1B (which in turn would make Adams a bit redundant) OR be rich enough in prospects or cash to make the trading partner take Wieters off our hands.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1174: February 01, 2018, 08:48:04 AM »
I would expect them to just accept being stuck with his contract for this year rather than put him in a package with something of value in order to move him.  They seem to accept going over the tax threshold this year given how much is off the books next year.