Author Topic: 2017-2018 Off-season Discussion Thread  (Read 105639 times)

Offline Optics

Re: 2017-2018 Off-season Discussion Thread
« Reply #75: October 13, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »
2018 could likely be the last year of the window, so I say freak it go all in. I wouldn't trade Robles but everyone else is up for grabs.

First thing first, get a legit top notch starter to create a dominant trio with Stras and Scherz. This allows us to slide Gio down into the #4 starter hole and Roark into the #5(or vice versa). Ross should be transitioned into a bullpen role as well. We'll have some money freed up with Werth being gone.

Keep Kintzler, Madsen, and Doolittle. The other relievers can all be released for all I care, they all suck.

Lineup wise, need a new starting C. Weiters will return since he's got a player option, I know $10 Mil is a lot for a backup C but just accept it as a sunk cost and move on. Infield is fine. Starting OF of Taylor, Eaton, and Harper, with Robles possibly waiting in the wings if Eaton struggles to return from injury or Taylor regresses.

I'd also try my best to lock Harper up. I know its not likely, but you never know. Sit down with him and tell him we want you to be this franchise, nay this city's sports hero. We want you to be our Babe Ruth, our Ted Williams, our Cal Ripken. Talk about what his legacy will be here in town, plans for the future, etc. Honestly I think that means more to Harper than just raw dollar amount. He's a baseball junkie and wants to be forever ingrained in the history books. Talk about where his eventual statue will be placed, how his wife can get involved in the community, etc. etc. Yes, all these things matter.

Beyond that, also look to extension for Rendon. Not sure what the situation is there.

People are talking about blowing up and starting over but I want one more shot. We have a good team, if we're gonna suck after 2018 then fine but I want one more good year and we'll cross the 2019 bridge in 2019.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #76: October 13, 2017, 01:44:44 PM »
2018 could likely be the last year of the window, so I say freak it go all in. I wouldn't trade Robles but everyone else is up for grabs.

First thing first, get a legit top notch starter to create a dominant trio with Stras and Scherz. This allows us to slide Gio down into the #4 starter hole and Roark into the #5(or vice versa). Ross should be transitioned into a bullpen role as well. We'll have some money freed up with Werth being gone.

Keep Kintzler, Madsen, and Doolittle. The other relievers can all be released for all I care, they all suck.

Lineup wise, need a new starting C. Weiters will return since he's got a player option, I know $10 Mil is a lot for a backup C but just accept it as a sunk cost and move on. Infield is fine. Starting OF of Taylor, Eaton, and Harper, with Robles possibly waiting in the wings if Eaton struggles to return from injury or Taylor regresses.

I'd also try my best to lock Harper up. I know its not likely, but you never know. Sit down with him and tell him we want you to be this franchise, nay this city's sports hero. We want you to be our Babe Ruth, our Ted Williams, our Cal Ripken. Talk about what his legacy will be here in town, plans for the future, etc. Honestly I think that means more to Harper than just raw dollar amount. He's a baseball junkie and wants to be forever ingrained in the history books. Talk about where his eventual statue will be placed, how his wife can get involved in the community, etc. etc. Yes, all these things matter.

Beyond that, also look to extension for Rendon. Not sure what the situation is there.

People are talking about blowing up and starting over but I want one more shot. We have a good team, if we're gonna suck after 2018 then fine but I want one more good year and we'll cross the 2019 bridge in 2019.

Nice post.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #77: October 13, 2017, 01:46:10 PM »
This seems as a good a place as any for the postmortem on the 2017 Predictions Thread: http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=34979.msg1826234

Some interesting and very accurate predictions (kudos to DPMOmaha for getting Scherzer's strikeout total exactly correct), many less so. 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #78: October 13, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »
Here's the offseason shopping list, if we're really trying to fix what was wrong with this team:

-An actual catcher

-Some corner IF depth, because let's face it, Rendon and Zimmerman are good players and all, but they're both injury time bombs waiting to happen

-Probably a bench bat or two if players like Lind and Kendrick hit the road

-RELIEF PITCHING: no more sitting around and waiting for trash to turn into treasure.  In baseball, trash is usually trash and everyone in the organization who served during the Jim Bowden years should know better.  Getting Doolittle and Madson was great, but having to use the likes of Sammy Solis in the postseason was not a good testament of roster construction.

-A decent-enough SP with nerve.  We don't need a world beater, or another "Acerukidding", just someone who can pitch sort of okay in the playoffs.  i.e. better than some of the gutless wonders we've used in recent years

How these players are acquired is no matter (unless you're doing something really stupid like trading Turner for a middle reliever), it just matters that they are acquired.  At this point, don't worry about the farm because this needs to be an all-in year.  2018 is basically the end of the window.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #79: October 13, 2017, 01:57:07 PM »

Apropos of "all in," I know we all try to imagine what Harper wants, but my shot at reading his mind is that he needs to be shown the team is "all in" with respect to addressing deficiencies from this season -- and that the team will continue to contend throughout his prime years.  Basically, the team needs to ensure we maximize the chances of winning it all next year in case there is a window, and convincing Harper that the window is much wider than many assume.  He's a competitive guy, to say the least, and if you think we're frustrated, imagine what he may be thinking about where things stand with this franchise. 

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #80: October 13, 2017, 02:45:38 PM »
Lind is gone -- he had a too good a year to come back in the same role.  Kendrick might be willing to come back and is a great fit.  Replacing Lind's contributions off the bench will be near impossible.  Madson and Doolittle are back, Kintzler is gone.  Bullpen needs a makeover -- Kelley and Blanton are done, probably Perez too.  Still hopeful that Glover can be something, and Enny too, but seems doubtful they put it together.  Albers might have been lightning in a bottle, but I'd try to keep him another year.  Outfield is set with Harper, Taylor and Eaton, with Goodwin as the 4th.  Robles needs to play most of the year in the minors to get everyday at bats.  We need at least one more quality starter.  Max/Stras are great at the top, but it's looking like a big drop to Gio/Tanner at the back end.  Fedde doesn't seem ready to be a real #3.  Cole has proven he isn't one.  It would be nice if Severino or Raudy Reed could convince everyone he's the catcher of the future, but it doesn't look that way.  Feels like another year of Wieters everyday.  Infield is set, with Difo as primary backup for 2nd, SS and 3rd.  Although we could use Kendrick (or Murphy) as occasional 1B backups, it would be nice to have a good LH 1B option (like Lind!).

All in all, I think next year will be a lot like this year, except a little worse, like 90-93 wins, and we win the division.  Then we try to avoid going 0 for 5 in the NLDS.  No telling yet how that will go.

Offline More of #34

« Reply #81: October 13, 2017, 03:33:06 PM »
Optics - I liked your post.

Offline KV

• Believe!
« Reply #82: October 13, 2017, 04:00:22 PM »
Catcher is a black hole.  We need to do something about it. I think the rest of our lineup is solid, even if we lose Murphy and Harper after next year, assuming Difo and Robles don't collapse completely. Need to make sure we have a solid bench and a better bullpen.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #83: October 13, 2017, 04:06:41 PM »
I'm tired of regular season "championships."

Blowing up the team doesn't fix that.

Move on from Dusty and most, if not all, of the coaching staff. Replace Werth. Find a quality backup for Zimmerman (and maybe you have that by moving Murphy to first and playing Difo). Find a good pitcher (not an ace, but a solid number 3). Try and trade Wieters.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84: October 13, 2017, 04:26:56 PM »

Move on from Dusty and most, if not all, of the coaching staff. Replace Werth. Find a quality backup for Zimmerman (and maybe you have that by moving Murphy to first and playing Difo). Find a good pitcher (not an ace, but a solid number 3). Try and trade Wieters.

Isn’t Eaton going to replace Werth?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #85: October 13, 2017, 04:41:34 PM »
Went back and read some of last years off season discussion:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=34621.0

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #86: October 13, 2017, 04:44:38 PM »
Went back and read some of last years off season discussion:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=34621.0

First post:  "Stop choking."

They didn't...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #87: October 13, 2017, 04:51:01 PM »
FWIW, here's our list of FAs after this season.  I don't see us retaining any of them.  Lind has a mutual option at the end of this year with a $500k buyout, if he stays he gets $5 million.

Werth  Eaton
Kendrick - kendrick
Blanton - Cole
Perez - Grace
Drew - Difo
Kintzler - Glover
Lobaton - Severino
Albers - Albers
Jackson - [random 5th starter]
De Aza -Goodwin
Raburn - Kendrick if brought back

2018 class is:
Harper
Murphy
Wieters
Gio (team option for $12 million)
Madson
Kelley
Lind
for $5MM, I can see Lind coming back.  At his age and position, there is an oversupply.  Beyond that, I can see Albers as a guy you could come to a deal with.  Kendrick is old but I don't see him getting starting player money anywhere early in the season.  Those 3 are the ones I think we could retain. I think Kintzler is gone.  That leaves us with a 5th starter slot that is unfilled, maybe a hole in the 7th inning, and Eaton back to upgrade over Werth.  Regardless of what you think of Gio in the playoffs, he's a 30+ start, 170 IP pitcher who fits in comfortably at the back of the rotation on a contender.  Without making a move, this team is a 90+ win team. 

My best guess at guys on the 25 man is in bold.  So that is:

C - Wieters, Severino
IF - RZ, Murphy, Turner, Rendon, Difo, Lind
OF - harper, taylor, eaton, Goodwin, Kendrick

SP - SS, MS, GG, TR, ????
Bullpen - Doo, Madson, Glover, Albers, Romero, Grace, Cole

Nice to have another bullpen arm and a 5th starter not named Fedde.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #88: October 13, 2017, 06:58:25 PM »

A solid number three seems like the biggest hole. Post season this year was scherzer Strasburg and pray for rain

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #89: October 13, 2017, 07:14:18 PM »
I'm tired of regular season "championships."
I agree. But you have to win regular season games to make it to the postseason.

Nats now like Caps. I enjoy the regular season, I appreciate the fact I'm watching some unique generational athletes, but I don't get truly excited.

The scary thing with both Caps and Nats is they're both in the same place that you can probably say they've missed their best shots and now you look at the roster and although it may be ready to compete in the present but it isn't hard to see a near future where steamrolling the regular season and making the playoffs isn't a guarantee.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #90: October 14, 2017, 09:40:41 AM »
for $5MM, I can see Lind coming back.  At his age and position, there is an oversupply.  Beyond that, I can see Albers as a guy you could come to a deal with.  Kendrick is old but I don't see him getting starting player money anywhere early in the season.  Those 3 are the ones I think we could retain. I think Kintzler is gone.  That leaves us with a 5th starter slot that is unfilled, maybe a hole in the 7th inning, and Eaton back to upgrade over Werth.  Regardless of what you think of Gio in the playoffs, he's a 30+ start, 170 IP pitcher who fits in comfortably at the back of the rotation on a contender.  Without making a move, this team is a 90+ win team. 

C - Wieters, Severino

Kintzler is a FA and I don't think the Nats will offer him a more than cursory offer not that he deserves more based on his September /
 October performance. Lind and Kendricks are priorities to re-sign as is a #3 SP. Catcher is a black hole due to Wieters contract. Have you changed your mind about JD Martinez for the OF. Though I am still surprised everyday with MATs' performance I would not bet the farm that he doesn't regress and if he does we have an OF with only one player having "pop". Do you prepare for Harpers departure like we did with Zimmermanns departure by signing Scherzer a year earlier?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91: October 14, 2017, 11:43:37 AM »
Kintzler is a FA and I don't think the Nats will offer him a more than cursory offer not that he deserves more based on his September /
 October performance. Lind and Kendricks are priorities to re-sign as is a #3 SP. Catcher is a black hole due to Wieters contract. Have you changed your mind about JD Martinez for the OF. Though I am still surprised everyday with MATs' performance I would not bet the farm that he doesn't regress and if he does we have an OF with only one player having "pop". Do you prepare for Harpers departure like we did with Zimmermanns departure by signing Scherzer a year earlier?
I think Martinez would be a nice upgrade and there are reasons to sign him.  I think it is a luxury and maybe not a necessity, and the bidding will be tough.  The other thing is, after watching Werth's D decline further this year, I'm a little more concerned about the out years for a lumbering bat.

Offline whytev

« Reply #92: October 14, 2017, 11:55:47 AM »

Can J.D. play 1st when Zimmerman has a day off?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93: October 14, 2017, 03:03:46 PM »
Can J.D. play 1st when Zimmerman has a day off?
never has but it's not that hard.  Tell him Wash?

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #94: October 14, 2017, 08:09:10 PM »
Helpful Link:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WSN/washington-nationals-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

With Scherzer, Stras, Turner and Eaton all here through 2021 or later we are going to be a good team for a long time coming.  Next offseason will be very interesting, but this one not so much.  The 2018 team will basically be the 2017 team with Taylor/Eaton instead of Eaton/Werth in CF/LF.  Sure hope Lind comes back. 

Also incredible we have team options on Doolittle through 2020.  I had no clue!  In Rizzo we trust!

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #95: October 15, 2017, 07:19:51 AM »
What about Robles and Sanchez ?

C - Wieters, Severino

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #96: October 15, 2017, 07:23:40 AM »
What about Robles and Sanchez ?

Without any FA acquisitions Robles goes to AAA where he belongs and Sanchez gets traded as he is blocked by Difo .

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97: October 15, 2017, 09:56:20 AM »
Without any FA acquisitions Robles goes to AAA where he belongs and Sanchez gets traded as he is blocked by Difo .

Isn’t Sanchez kind of old to bring back much in trade?

Offline whytev

« Reply #98: October 15, 2017, 11:45:52 AM »
Isn’t Sanchez kind of old to bring back much in trade?

Sánchez has no trade value. He will ride the shuttle when someone gets hurt.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #99: October 15, 2017, 12:35:26 PM »

What about Solis?