Author Topic: 2017-2018 Off-season Discussion Thread  (Read 107912 times)

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Re: 2017-2018 Off-season Discussion Thread
« Reply #125: October 18, 2017, 01:45:53 PM »
Soto I think could be a major piece in a trade.  He is already in the top 20 prospects by some raters. I think I saw him #12 on BP, but I'll have to check the threads in The Farm for where I saw it.  Soto can crush balls and may be a more natural corner OF than Robles, but he's a crown jewel. 

As for dealing Goodwin, if someone will come in and give you what an MLB average starting CF with 6 or so years of control is worth in trade (hint, a full diaper load), then of course move him. We have Stevenson as the defensive OF backup, plus 3 other CFs who will spend time on the 25 man next year (Taylor, Eaton, Robles). 

If there is a team in need of an OF upgrade, maybe a high floor guy like Goodwin coupled with a high ceiling guy like Soto gets you a ton back.  Maybe they even take Wieters contract off your hands ;)  Maybe a lefty starter with a few years of control from a team at a cost around Wieters's $10.5MM?

I like the way you think.  I'd hate to give up Soto, but with MAT entering his prime, Eaton locked up, and Robles on the rise...he is a chip you could use for multiple years control of a quality starter.  I'd trade him for a Jose Quintana type like the Cubs acquired.