Author Topic: 2017-2018 Off-season Discussion Thread  (Read 105630 times)

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Re: 2017-2018 Off-season Discussion Thread
« Reply #125: October 17, 2017, 02:09:55 PM »
See, I view one of these two as trade bait. Nationals can't keep three Cfer with Adam Eton under team control for 3 more seasons and needing some rotation help.

I view Goodwin as somebody to test the trade waters with.  I don't mean deal him for nothing, but see if we can get something of use in return.  Start the season with Difo as not only the top IF sub but also the defacto 4th OF.  This way Difo gets a lot of ABs.  Robles gets the first call if/when Eaton/MAT/Harper are injured.  If Robles tears it up and is ready in June, then we have excess OFs.   

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #126: October 17, 2017, 02:23:42 PM »
Only through 2018. :)
I view Goodwin as somebody to test the trade waters with.  I don't mean deal him for nothing, but see if we can get something of use in return.  Start the season with Difo as not only the top IF sub but also the defacto 4th OF.  This way Difo gets a lot of ABs.  Robles gets the first call if/when Eaton/MAT/Harper are injured.  If Robles tears it up and is ready in June, then we have excess OFs. 

« Reply #127: October 17, 2017, 02:42:58 PM »
Only through 2018. :)

Even if Harper leaves we have Eaton in LF, MAT in CF, and Robles in RF.  When you are trying to fill needs, you trade from your excess.  I think Goodwin is expendable if we can get a return that helps us fill a hole.  Difo can be a super sub and the 4th OF in addition to a utility IF, and Robles is waiting in the wings.  Again, I wouldn't just dump Goodwin for nothing, but I'd be willing to listen to offers that could help us at another spot. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #128: October 17, 2017, 02:45:03 PM »
And signing Harper to 30-40 million per year wouldn't be an albatross contract?
If we traded Harper for Stanton (an absurd idea, but since that's what we're talking about) the Marlins would take on only one year of obligation.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #129: October 17, 2017, 09:09:18 PM »
Keep Goodwin. Wasn't there a time in late-August when the OF was DeAza, Stevenson, and Kendrick?

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #130: October 18, 2017, 01:01:13 AM »
Sign Darvish. The nats 3rd and 4th starting pitchers can't be counted on. Ross is coming off TJ and needs a 3rd pitch (he really should be a long reliever), Roark is gritty but just doesn't have the stuff required of a big game pitcher, and gio is a choke artist. This is it. The one year window everyone has been looking forward or dreading. It's ring or bust as harper and murph could easily leave.

Offline whytev

« Reply #131: October 18, 2017, 01:11:26 AM »
Sign Darvish. The nats 3rd and 4th starting pitchers can't be counted on. Ross is coming off TJ and needs a 3rd pitch (he really should be a long reliever), Roark is gritty but just doesn't have the stuff required of a big game pitcher, and gio is a choke artist. This is it. The one year window everyone has been looking forward or dreading. It's ring or bust as harper and murph could easily leave.

Not getting Sale instead of Eaton, in hindsight, might have been the season. But nobody knew Taylor would get this good.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #132: October 18, 2017, 07:35:57 AM »
Not getting Sale instead of Eaton, in hindsight, might have been the season. But nobody knew Taylor would get this good.

Chris Sale had an ERA over 8 in the playoffs

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #133: October 18, 2017, 09:10:45 AM »
Not sure that's fair to Roark. In his limited opportunities, he's been pretty good.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134: October 18, 2017, 10:33:56 AM »
i do not think it is realistic to sign Darvish. It’s not something I believe the Nats will do. But a benefit to signing him would perhaps be the inside track on shining Shohei Otani.  But I don’t think either one will want to come to DC

« Reply #135: October 18, 2017, 10:36:35 AM »
I am of the belief we need another top-end starter to get over the hump finally in 2018.  I don't think we need to add much of anything to win the NL East again.  However, as many have said, Gio can't be trusted in the postseason.  I also suspect he's much closer to the 2015 and 2016 Gio in 2018 than the 2017 numbers he put up.  I don't expect to be able to add another #1 in the mold of Max and Stras, but we need somebody who you feel good about pitching in a postseason series.  Roark hasn't really had a fair shot at that role, but I'd much rather him stay in his slot as the 4th starter we may or may not use in the postseason. 

To me, that is the top priority and first order of business, other than perhaps trying to extend Harper.  Beyond that, it's minor tweaks.  Looking into an upgrade at catcher, although I don't think that would be nearly as helpful as adding another top-end SP.  Rounding out the bench and bullpen and perhaps adding SP depth to compete for the #5 spot come last. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #136: October 18, 2017, 10:55:59 AM »
i do not think it is realistic to sign Darvish. It’s not something I believe the Nats will do. But a benefit to signing him would perhaps be the inside track on shining Shohei Otani.  But I don’t think either one will want to come to DC

West Coast teams will always get the Japanese players.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #137: October 18, 2017, 10:57:40 AM »
West Coast teams will always get the Japanese players.
And yet, the Yankees, Red Sox, and Orioles have signed them too.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #138: October 18, 2017, 11:07:15 AM »
And yet, the Yankees, Red Sox, and Orioles have signed them too.

Wait, what super high-profile Asian player did Baltimore sign?

Also, lol at any of y'all who think the Nats are signing Otani. Come back to reality.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #139: October 18, 2017, 11:14:29 AM »

Also, lol at any of y'all who think the Nats are signing Otani. Come back to reality.

Who said we were talking about super high-profile Asian players? Koji uehara signed with the Orioles. Also, Darvish signed with the Rangers.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140: October 18, 2017, 11:39:53 AM »

I said it was very unlikely, just that signing Darvish increases the chances of signing Otani, which it almost certainly does.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #141: October 18, 2017, 01:27:14 PM »
Even if Harper leaves we have Eaton in LF, MAT in CF, and Robles in RF.  When you are trying to fill needs, you trade from your excess.  I think Goodwin is expendable if we can get a return that helps us fill a hole.  Difo can be a super sub and the 4th OF in addition to a utility IF, and Robles is waiting in the wings.  Again, I wouldn't just dump Goodwin for nothing, but I'd be willing to listen to offers that could help us at another spot. 
Soto I think could be a major piece in a trade.  He is already in the top 20 prospects by some raters. I think I saw him #12 on BP, but I'll have to check the threads in The Farm for where I saw it.  Soto can crush balls and may be a more natural corner OF than Robles, but he's a crown jewel. 

As for dealing Goodwin, if someone will come in and give you what an MLB average starting CF with 6 or so years of control is worth in trade (hint, a full diaper load), then of course move him. We have Stevenson as the defensive OF backup, plus 3 other CFs who will spend time on the 25 man next year (Taylor, Eaton, Robles). 

If there is a team in need of an OF upgrade, maybe a high floor guy like Goodwin coupled with a high ceiling guy like Soto gets you a ton back.  Maybe they even take Wieters contract off your hands ;)  Maybe a lefty starter with a few years of control from a team at a cost around Wieters's $10.5MM?

« Reply #142: October 18, 2017, 01:45:53 PM »
Soto I think could be a major piece in a trade.  He is already in the top 20 prospects by some raters. I think I saw him #12 on BP, but I'll have to check the threads in The Farm for where I saw it.  Soto can crush balls and may be a more natural corner OF than Robles, but he's a crown jewel. 

As for dealing Goodwin, if someone will come in and give you what an MLB average starting CF with 6 or so years of control is worth in trade (hint, a full diaper load), then of course move him. We have Stevenson as the defensive OF backup, plus 3 other CFs who will spend time on the 25 man next year (Taylor, Eaton, Robles). 

If there is a team in need of an OF upgrade, maybe a high floor guy like Goodwin coupled with a high ceiling guy like Soto gets you a ton back.  Maybe they even take Wieters contract off your hands ;)  Maybe a lefty starter with a few years of control from a team at a cost around Wieters's $10.5MM?

I like the way you think.  I'd hate to give up Soto, but with MAT entering his prime, Eaton locked up, and Robles on the rise...he is a chip you could use for multiple years control of a quality starter.  I'd trade him for a Jose Quintana type like the Cubs acquired. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #143: October 18, 2017, 01:47:41 PM »

Forgot about Soto. I'd keep Goodwin to move Soto and others for a number 3 pitcher.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144: October 18, 2017, 01:48:49 PM »
by the way, it was BP that had him mid-season #12.

Soto ranking #12 in BP's top-50 midseason rankings:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=32224&utm_content=bufferdcdf7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

:shock:

(Robles #4)
BA is down on him, I think because of the lost time due to injury.

Offline Optics

« Reply #145: October 19, 2017, 12:13:24 PM »
2018 is the last year of the window. Go all out to win it. Spend what you gotta spend. Win the World Series and the Lerners can recoup the costs with what a world championship can bring in even years down the line.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #146: October 19, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »
It's not the last year of the window. But it might be a while before it's this wide open, so I still think you should go all in. But I don't think it shuts all the way after next year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147: October 19, 2017, 01:34:19 PM »
There is no window.  Judge / Sanchez  have closed it. Yankees win the next 4 world series.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #148: October 19, 2017, 01:37:43 PM »
There is no window.  Judge / Sanchez  have closed it. Yankees win the next 4 world series.
That's true, actually.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #149: October 19, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »

Man, they look good.