Author Topic: Baseball and Metro  (Read 4048 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Baseball and Metro
« Topic Start: October 12, 2017, 07:49:55 AM »
Is there any chance the Nats and Metro come to an agreement and keep Metro open? Why are the Nats so stubborn?
I really, really don’t want to drive. Has anyone caught a cab/uber after a game? How much of a pain is it?

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Baseball and Metro
« Reply #1: October 12, 2017, 07:54:11 AM »
news this morning reported the team wouldn't pay to keep it open so regular hours

Offline Jtitman0

« Reply #2: October 12, 2017, 07:54:15 AM »
Check out #NATSRIDE on twitter, people are offering rides from their location.

I will never understand why people take the metro to a game. Tried it for the first time in 3 years this year took me 1 hour longer to get home than to drive.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3: October 12, 2017, 08:06:19 AM »

I will never understand why people take the metro to a game. Tried it for the first time in 3 years this year took me 1 hour longer to get home than to drive.

It might not make sense for you, but for many of us, especially those who live in DC, metro is much more convenient.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: October 12, 2017, 08:07:34 AM »
Foo Fighters concert at the south west waterfront tonight- traffic should be fun

Offline Jtitman0

« Reply #5: October 12, 2017, 08:12:01 AM »
It might not make sense for you, but for many of us, especially those who live in DC, metro is much more convenient.

If u live in DC take an uber or lyft. Stay away from WMATA

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #6: October 12, 2017, 08:15:03 AM »
news this morning reported the team wouldn't pay to keep it open so regular hours
They don't have enough money since they are charging so little for post season tickets.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7: October 12, 2017, 08:50:09 AM »
If u live in DC take an uber or lyft. Stay away from WMATA

A lyft or Uber is still a car on the road. It still is in traffic. I’ve been to over 40 games and taken metro to every single one. Metro has worked great for me all season.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #8: October 12, 2017, 08:53:55 AM »
there are going to be at least hundreds, possibly thousands, at the same location requesting an uber/lyft in addition to people leaving the concert. Seems like you'll be waiting for awhile to get a ride

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #9: October 12, 2017, 08:58:17 AM »
When I take Metro it's because I can drink beer through the 7th and not worry about driving home.

It's definitely hit-and-miss. I come from Shady Grove to Capital South and vice versa. Less than an hour (not including the walk) each way. There's no way I can get to a weeknight game from Gaithersburg in less than 1.5 hours. It's never happened. When we drive we leave home at 4:45 and often arrive just in time for first pitch. On the other hand, the drive home is always faster than Metro.

I did #NATSRIDE through Twitter last year for Game 5. Worked great. Except it took 45 minutes to get out of the parking lot because there was no train and way too many drivers.

Offline hokiefan

« Reply #10: October 12, 2017, 09:07:30 AM »
This idea might be crazy, but the last time the metro was closed for me when I was I Nats Park, I took a Capital Bikeshare, rode to the Mall, and got an Uber/Lyft from the Mall. Surge pricing was lower and it was very easy to get a ride. This really only works if you don't have a family.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #11: October 12, 2017, 09:15:37 AM »
[...]I will never understand why people take the metro to a game.[...]

I don't drive - got to get to the ballpark somehow.

[admittedly though I do often catch cabs from the cab rank in M street to go home from a match]

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #12: October 12, 2017, 09:16:14 AM »
If the Nats cares about their fans they would run shuttles from RFK and VA. Of course that would cost money.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #13: October 12, 2017, 09:23:26 AM »
If the Nats cares about their fans they would run shuttles from RFK and VA. Of course that would cost money.

it would probably be cheaper to just pay metro to stay open

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #14: October 12, 2017, 09:23:35 AM »
I've taken Uber/Lyft after each playoff game for the last 2 years. We usually check the wait times and surge pricing immediately following the game; if you're quick, you can get picked up and out of the neighborhood pretty fast.  I've never waited more than 15 minutes to be picked up but once in the car, the traffic can be BAD. Your Uber can get very expensive very quickly. I think the most we paid last season was around $75 (we live off of 14th and Arkansas). Tonight we'll probably take the Circulator bus to Union Station and grab an Uber or a Taxi from there.

Check the Uber app for ride passes-- they are not always on offer but they can save $$ when you can get them. This month I paid $20 for the pass and all my rides up to $25 value are capped at $7.99; bigger fares are basically discounted by $17 (you pay the $7.99 and the overage from $25). Really helps with the surge pricing.

I also mapped out the bus routes last year but didn't need them--- if you're in Petworth you may be able to get home in under an hour via Metro Bus (I think you would need to change busses in Chinatown).

I like beer and I don't like paying $40 for parking.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #15: October 12, 2017, 09:55:20 AM »
Is there any chance the Nats and Metro come to an agreement and keep Metro open? Why are the Nats so stubborn?
I really, really don’t want to drive. Has anyone caught a cab/uber after a game? How much of a pain is it?

A good Uber spot is L and 1st St, by Justins cafe. Never had issues getting picked up there.

Also, you can just go for the ultimate hack...walk to Capitol South and Uber/cab/metrobus from there.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #16: October 12, 2017, 09:59:50 AM »
The Nats are stubborn because the MLB demands it. No teams pay for their city's transportation services. At least, that's what I've heard.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: October 12, 2017, 10:22:30 AM »
God forbid a pro sports team didn’t shake every last nickel out of the local government

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #18: October 12, 2017, 10:23:43 AM »

RIP ur anus.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #19: October 12, 2017, 10:29:53 AM »
Now that is how one raises the level of discourse  :clap:

Offline bdevil02

« Reply #20: October 12, 2017, 11:42:16 AM »
Does this mean we have to like Pepco now?

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #21: October 12, 2017, 11:45:11 AM »
BREAKING - multiple sources say energy provider Exelon is stepping up to provide extra Metro service tonight #wmata @nbcwashington

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #22: October 12, 2017, 11:45:42 AM »
Now that is how one raises the level of discourse  :clap:

:lol: :lol: When speaking to someone whose name appears to be "titman" and seems oblivious to the fact that other people might have different circumstances or priorities than his own, it is merely doing in Rome what the Romans do.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #23: October 12, 2017, 11:48:07 AM »
Martin Di Caro‏ @MartinDiCaro · 28m28 minutes ago 

Good news is, @MLB is talking with #WMATA now about extending service for the All-Star Game next July.  :-)

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #24: October 12, 2017, 01:03:18 PM »
Metro extended  for 1 hour

Basically you have tI'll 12:30am to get in the station before the train turns into a pumpkin