Author Topic: Baseball and Metro  (Read 2333 times)

Offline RiotAct

Re: Baseball and Metro
« Reply #25: October 12, 2017, 01:24:01 PM »
Metro extended  for 1 hour

Basically you have tI'll 12:30am to get in the station before the train turns into a pumpkin

Might still be rough, especially if the game goes extra innings.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #26: October 12, 2017, 01:32:05 PM »
Last train to Greenbelt @12:22, 12:48 southbound (Branch Ave)
Metro extended  for 1 hour

Basically you have tI'll 12:30am to get in the station before the train turns into a pumpkin

Offline varoadking

• Monsters of da Midway
« Reply #27: October 12, 2017, 02:16:43 PM »
Last train to Greenbelt @12:22, 12:48 southbound (Branch Ave)

Damn...I was hoping some of the riff-raff would clear out early... :couch:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #28: October 12, 2017, 02:23:59 PM »
:shock:

Offline Mathguy

• Whoa That Was A Good One ! Poke His Brain Here !
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #29: October 14, 2017, 03:02:27 AM »
Why can't Metro setup an option in their system where if Metro opens later than usual hours, there is a $2 to $5 surcharge to the rider ?  On special occasions, Metro could post signs so riders are aware of that surcharge if riders are on the platforms after the usual closing time.  Why not pass some of the cost to the users ?  Riders would welcome the cost, rather than to have to worry about changing their mode of transportation to/from Nats Park.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #30: October 14, 2017, 08:33:27 AM »
Because there is no guarantee they’d break even

Offline ChicagoCubs

« Reply #31: October 14, 2017, 09:00:34 AM »
Why can't Metro setup an option in their system where if Metro opens later than usual hours, there is a $2 to $5 surcharge to the rider ?  On special occasions, Metro could post signs so riders are aware of that surcharge if riders are on the platforms after the usual closing time.  Why not pass some of the cost to the users ?  Riders would welcome the cost, rather than to have to worry about changing their mode of transportation to/from Nats Park.

Arent' the Nats sponsored by Uber?

The fans could set up a gofundme or that type thing and pay Metro the $100K since the Nats won't do it.

It's ridiculous.

Was anyone actually able to get on the Metro after the game?  They should have known that the Metro would shut down before or at the same time the game ended.

Online bluestreak

« Reply #32: October 14, 2017, 09:20:41 AM »
Arent' the Nats sponsored by Uber?

The fans could set up a gofundme or that type thing and pay Metro the $100K since the Nats won't do it.

It's ridiculous.

Was anyone actually able to get on the Metro after the game?  They should have known that the Metro would shut down before or at the same time the game ended.

I got on the last train but got stranded because it only went as far as mount Vernon square. Cabs were hard to get. I just ended up taking the bus home. It was like the second time I’ve ever taken a bus here.

Offline Briggs

« Reply #33: October 14, 2017, 10:54:05 AM »
DC Tax payers, of which I was one at the time, paid roughly 700 million dollars in 2006 to fund the stadium.  As a gesture of thanks and goodwill to fans, the Lerners should foot the bill to keep the Metro open.

Online bluestreak

« Reply #34: October 14, 2017, 12:42:25 PM »
DC Tax payers, of which I was one at the time, paid roughly 700 million dollars in 2006 to fund the stadium.  As a gesture of thanks and goodwill to fans, the Lerners should foot the bill to keep the Metro open.

:hysterical: :hysterical:

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #35: October 14, 2017, 02:29:24 PM »
Metro has plenty of data to estimate what the surcharge would be to break even.

Because there is no guarantee they’d break even

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #36: October 14, 2017, 02:43:30 PM »
Metro has plenty of data to estimate what the surcharge would be to break even.

Metro has precisely zero data on variable pricing for after hours events

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #37: October 15, 2017, 06:15:37 AM »
But that's not the data Metro needs to make such an estimation.  Ridership levels from other games when Nats Park is packed is all the data Metro needs to estimate ridership demand after a playoff game.  Then Metro can work their costs into a cost per rider factor.  In addition to additional rider $$$, Metro could then go to the Nats & MLB to help out, for Metro wouldn't need to ask for the $1 million currently requested.

Metro has precisely zero data on variable pricing for after hours events

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #38: October 15, 2017, 12:29:43 PM »
But how easily and quickly can Metro update and then reset the card reading/charging mechanisms at the fare gates to implement a one-time fare change? 

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #39: October 15, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »
I agree that this is not something that can be developed and implemented overnight.  But between now and next Memorial Day (when the summer rush starts), Metro would develop this factor into the software and test implementation over the winter.  There is no reason for Metro to take a stand that this can't be done without an extra $1 million from an outside source.

But how easily and quickly can Metro update and then reset the card reading/charging mechanisms at the fare gates to implement a one-time fare change? 

Online bluestreak

« Reply #40: October 15, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »
I agree that this is not something that can be developed and implemented overnight.  But between now and next Memorial Day (when the summer rush starts), Metro would develop this factor into the software and test implementation over the winter.  There is no reason for Metro to take a stand that this can't be done without an extra $1 million from an outside source.

Where is this $1 million dollar number coming from?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #41: October 15, 2017, 03:29:35 PM »
I thought Metro asked the Nats for $1 million to stay open late for the last playoff game ?

Where is this $1 million dollar number coming from?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #42: October 15, 2017, 03:38:05 PM »
Pretty sure it’s 100k an hour

Online dcpatti

« Reply #43: October 15, 2017, 03:40:52 PM »
I thought Metro asked the Nats for $1 million to stay open late for the last playoff game ?

The Metro standard fee for staying open late is $100k/hour. It’s essentially a deposit, and all the fares that come in during the extra hour are balanced against the deposit. Metro just keeps whatever the shortfall is. So if they generate $75k, you are only out of pocket $25k for the extra hour.

Exelon got stuck holding the bag though because the game was so long; not many people made it to the station early enough to catch the train.

It’s all kind of a moot point though, because any changes to Metro’s SOP has to go through Metro’s board, and you get all those jurisdictions fighting with each other and nothing gets done. Fairfax says it extra baseball hours benefits DC and doesn’t want its money going to pay for service that benefits DC more than Fairfax. DC argues that city extra hours benefit the suburbs more since the city dwellers have more options. It turns into a proper pissing contest. Jack Evans gets a nice little sound bite at least.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #44: October 15, 2017, 03:47:53 PM »
Thanks for the $$$ correction.  The idea remains the same - change the Metro software to incorporate a surcharge to the users (ie: riders) for opening Metro for a special event.  Looking at this on a yearly basis, the need doesn't seem too out of the ordinary for Metro to consider and not very hard to incorporate.  After all, Metro has a surcharge for users during rush hour.  Doing some surcharge for a late event should be easy.

The Metro standard fee for staying open late is $100k/hour. It’s essentially a deposit, and all the fares that come in during the extra hour are balanced against the deposit. Metro just keeps whatever the shortfall is. So if they generate $75k, you are only out of pocket $25k for the extra hour.

Exelon got stuck holding the bag though because the game was so long; not many people made it to the station early enough to catch the train.

It’s all kind of a moot point though, because any changes to Metro’s SOP has to go through Metro’s board, and you get all those jurisdictions fighting with each other and nothing gets done. Fairfax says it extra baseball hours benefits DC and doesn’t want its money going to pay for service that benefits DC more than Fairfax. DC argues that city extra hours benefit the suburbs more since the city dwellers have more options. It turns into a proper pissing contest. Jack Evans gets a nice little sound bite at least.

Online dcpatti

« Reply #45: October 15, 2017, 03:57:16 PM »
Thanks for the $$$ correction.  The idea remains the same - change the Metro software to incorporate a surcharge to the users (ie: riders) for opening Metro for a special event.  Looking at this on a yearly basis, the need doesn't seem too out of the ordinary for Metro to consider and not very hard to incorporate.  After all, Metro has a surcharge for users during rush hour.  Doing some surcharge for a late event should be easy.

But that goes back to the infighting on the board: which events are special enough to warrant extra service? It’s very hard to cover operating expenses just on fares alone, and even with the $100k there is probably something coming out of metro’s coffers. Plus too high a premium and no one will ride (or at least not city dwellers who can uber home cheaply).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #46: October 15, 2017, 04:39:11 PM »
If Metro charged rush hour fares for late closings, I don't think it would discourage folks from using it at late events.  I'm curious just how much traffic a ballgame generates.  Do they get 10,000 users?  You'd think the numbers would be pretty well figured out.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• I am Djour Djilios.
« Reply #47: October 15, 2017, 06:26:20 PM »
You are a brain dead idiot if you think the crumbling jobs program known as WMATA is going to do anything involving “data” (:lmao:) and alerting passengers to fees. Drive, Uber, or kill yourself. WMATA is a crapshow.

Online bluestreak

« Reply #48: October 15, 2017, 06:30:50 PM »
You are a brain dead idiot if you think the crumbling jobs program known as WMATA is going to do anything involving “data” (:lmao:) and alerting passengers to fees. Drive, Uber, or kill yourself. WMATA is a crapshow.

You must be great at parties...

Offline MarquisDeSade

• I am Djour Djilios.
« Reply #49: October 15, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »
You must be great at parties...

I just finished a project with WMATA. Let it be said I’ve never been happier I never have to use WMATA. It is a jobs program that needs a complete and total enema.