Author Topic: Nationals vs Cubs, NLDS Game 5  (Read 159249 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Nationals vs Cubs, NLDS Game 5
« Reply #2150: October 13, 2017, 12:10:18 PM »
Bills actually made it to the super bowl.   Nats can't even get out of the NLDS.  The football equivalent would be not being able to get out of the Divisional playoff round.  So maybe the Washington Redskins (Dan Snyder version) of baseball is more apt.

Not sure if you're elaborating for others or just misread my post, but yes, that is what I was implying.

Offline ChicagoCubs

« Reply #2151: October 13, 2017, 12:14:51 PM »
spoke to a friend from chicago this morning, consensus there is we've turned into the Cubs (pre-2016).

You guys are close.  Just need a couple more players get rid of guys like Weiters and Wyerth and maybe an upgrade at manager. (that can change the culture and attitdue)

But everyteam has a shelf life before they get old and have to be dismantled like the Kansas City Royals who were just World Champs in 2015.  So I think you have to commit to going all in to get everything you need while Bryce Harper, Starssberg and Sherzer are still in their prime.  Putz around too much and Bryce Harper might just get frustrated and leave, so you have to go all in for the next couple years.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #2152: October 13, 2017, 12:16:56 PM »
Putz around too much and Bryce Harper might just get frustrated and leave, so you have to go all in for the next couple years.

Only the most delusional of Nats fans think he's going to stay.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #2153: October 13, 2017, 01:06:20 PM »
Only the most delusional of Nats fans think he's going to stay.

- Harper and Murphy become free agents after the 2018 season, so the organization has looked at 2017 and 2018 as the target. Maybe Robles replaces Harper, or maybe ownership pays Harper whatever he wants. Seems unlikely, but they have the money.

- Wieters and Lobaton will be replaced by younger catchers, including someone who can hit

- Werth is gone but the OF is deep without him, having played the backup CF -- Taylor -- and backup LF -- Goodwin -- most of this season.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2154: October 13, 2017, 01:10:21 PM »
I think Dusty can come back if he has a strong, manager in waiting, bench coach.    Let it be known.    If anyone (Dusty or any of the current coaches) has a problem with that, let them walk.      Happens in other pro sports.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2155: October 13, 2017, 01:21:35 PM »
I actually compared the Nats to the Houston Oilers.  They used to go out early in the playoffs.

They had the run-and-shoot offense which would murder in the regular season but never got it done in the postseason, much like the Nats' front-heavy SP and HR-heavy offense.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2156: October 13, 2017, 01:22:04 PM »
I actually compared the Nats to the Houston Oilers.  They used to go out early in the playoffs.
Kansas City Chiefs, too

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2157: October 13, 2017, 01:22:50 PM »

To paraphrase Bum, the road to the Super Bowl went through Pittsburgh.    We lose to everybody.

Offline RiotAct

« Reply #2158: October 13, 2017, 01:55:36 PM »
Bills actually made it to the super bowl.   Nats can't even get out of the NLDS.  The football equivalent would be not being able to get out of the Divisional playoff round.  So maybe the Washington Redskins (Dan Snyder version) of baseball is more apt.
As a Bills fan myself, I can safely say that following and rooting for them is a lot less excruciating than the Nats  :P