Author Topic: CORRECTION - Going With Strasburg Today!  (Read 8079 times)

Offline raleighnat

Re: CORRECTION - Going With Strasburg Today!
« Reply #275: October 12, 2017, 02:52:44 AM »
I like him because he’s smart and funny enough to pull it off.

I loved this article but it missed the real point which was a chattering class running its mouth without knowing the facts.  We live in a society where talking heads are always blabbering or tweeting (how was that idiotic communication method ever going to be a good idea) before all of the facts were in.  I think it's awesome Stras shoved one up the medias collective rear end. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #276: October 12, 2017, 02:58:34 AM »
I loved this article but it missed the real point which was a chattering class running its mouth without knowing the facts.  We live in a society where talking heads are always blabbering or tweeting (how was that idiotic communication method ever going to be a good idea) before all of the facts were in.  I think it's awesome Stras shoved one up the medias collective rear end.

I think the point is that the ex-players ought to know better.

Offline awbb

« Reply #277: October 12, 2017, 04:03:38 AM »
Wasn't everyone here on the board doing the same?  Nearly all of us were calling him gutless.  Someone even mentioned we should trade him if his trade value hadn't be destroyed already.

Yeah, but this cuts both ways. People were clearly taking speculation from the media (or just making it up themselves) and posting that here as fact. Others take that "fact" at face value, assuming the initial poster is privy to information that they are not and make a sweeping comment based on it. It happens all the time.

Stras' reputation is also a factor. He is assumed to be a sicknote. I can't imagine the story would have been along those lines if Max was struggling to make his start.

Nonetheless, I am in awe of Stras' performance last night and I am delighted that finally, finally someone decided to give him some run support.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #278: October 12, 2017, 07:20:34 AM »
Wasn't everyone here on the board doing the same?  Nearly all of us were calling him gutless.  Someone even mentioned we should trade him if his trade value hadn't be destroyed already.

If I'm being charitable, I would say anyone who has questioned Stras's toughness over the last few years doesn't have all the facts about him or his health. If I was not being charitable, I would say they don't know crap about baseball or sports in general.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #279: October 12, 2017, 08:27:49 AM »

No, not everyone.  Some were certainly upset but most were dumbfounded by Dusty saying he was sticking with Tanner even though Stras had his normal rest.  That was before they reported Strasburgs illness and then more fans were sort of understanding.  Yes, there were quite a few that questioned his toughness but that's always been the case with Strasburg.  Either way, the guy played and he was incredible.  Lets try and focus on that.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #280: October 12, 2017, 09:20:24 AM »
I hate the whole narrative. All of these guys are a thousand times better at what they do than I will ever be at what I do.

Plus, when you listen to the Nats FO you are never getting the full story, because they will tell it in whatever way gets them a competitive advantage.  I'm fine with that.

« Reply #281: October 12, 2017, 10:33:57 AM »
No. That was before it was known that he was feeling much better today.

I've been on the Strasburg for Game 4 for a while now. Even when we didn't know about him being sick and when Game 4 was on short rest. The only time I questioned it was when it,was reported that he was sick.

Again, BS.  I said an hour before the game...when we ALL had seen that Strasburg was starting BECAUSE he said he was feeling better...that I expected him to pitch well.  You called me "crazy" and some SS superfan or whatever.  You knew the same facts I did at that time...that Stras said he was better and wanted to pitch. 

« Reply #282: October 12, 2017, 10:36:44 AM »
Prove it

2:37 yesterday after we started discussing the news Strasburg was starting.  I posted:

I feel very good about Strasburg matching up with Arrieta.  It helps the Cubs that they just saw Strasburg, but he's still locked in and is fully capable of shutting them down.  I think Arrieta only lasts 4 innings then we see Lackey. 

Should we force Game 5, I like Gio to go through their order twice and then bring in Max to bridge to the backend of the bullpen. 

Your reply: SSS number 1 right here folks. The true believer.
Me:
Yea, crazy to think Strasburg would do well today.  I mean, he's been so awful...
You: It is when he was sick as dogcrap yesterday. Also you have us beating the Cubs at home tomorrow.

Again...you are a liar and you know it.  Proven.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #283: October 12, 2017, 10:50:42 AM »
Again, BS.  I said an hour before the game...when we ALL had seen that Strasburg was starting BECAUSE he said he was feeling better...that I expected him to pitch well.  You called me "crazy" and some SS superfan or whatever.  You knew the same facts I did at that time...that Stras said he was better and wanted to pitch. 
Prove it.

« Reply #284: October 12, 2017, 10:51:33 AM »
Prove it.

Look above you.  These posts were all clearly made after we all read SS was starting and said he felt better.  Page 10.

Offline bluestreak

« Reply #285: October 12, 2017, 10:53:14 AM »
2:37 yesterday after we started discussing the news Strasburg was starting.  I posted:

I feel very good about Strasburg matching up with Arrieta.  It helps the Cubs that they just saw Strasburg, but he's still locked in and is fully capable of shutting them down.  I think Arrieta only lasts 4 innings then we see Lackey. 

Should we force Game 5, I like Gio to go through their order twice and then bring in Max to bridge to the backend of the bullpen. 

Your reply: SSS number 1 right here folks. The true believer.
Me:
Yea, crazy to think Strasburg would do well today.  I mean, he's been so awful...
You: It is when he was sick as dogcrap yesterday. Also you have us beating the Cubs at home tomorrow.

Again...you are a liar and you know it.  Proven.

I do remember this...

« Reply #286: October 12, 2017, 11:00:57 AM »
I do remember this...

Yep, and unless he starts deleting posts, they're all still on page 10.  He already deleted some unless this spilled into another thread.  He said something about being tired of our players concealing illness and injuries then playing and performing badly.  I made the point SS DID reveal he was sick and even so, it's stupid to not have him go out there unless he's just deathly ill.  I made the point of MJ not telling Steve Kerr to take his place in the Flu game in Utah.  And by all accounts MJ was still much sicker for that game than SS was by the time yesterday rolled around.  Adrenaline can carry an athlete in a big moment even if they sick, plus as MJ said, you lock in more mentally when you are dealing with illness.  SS was no doubt locked in.

Offline Optics

« Reply #287: October 12, 2017, 11:09:04 AM »
Who the freak cares let it go.

Offline dlayman

« Reply #288: October 12, 2017, 11:16:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure his teammates will have no problem with him after tonight's performance, not that they would have anyway with how brilliant he was in Game 1 and how dominant he's been this season(particularly after his return from injury).

Ross needs to stay in his lane. He's never even played with Stras.

Yeah, Ross is getting annoying.  Massive ego, and for some reason people think he's a genius.  Oh and any ex-Cub bias there?

« Reply #289: October 12, 2017, 11:23:49 AM »
Yeah, Ross is getting annoying.  Massive ego, and for some reason people think he's a genius.  Oh and any ex-Cub bias there?

He's highly overrated and overly celebrated as some folk hero.  He was a very mediocre backup catcher that happened to be pretty old and on the Cubs team full of young superstars that finally won a World Series.  He was incredibly lucky.  Otherwise he's just another journeyman backup catcher that sees his career end, like Jose Lobaton here soon. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #290: October 12, 2017, 11:33:36 AM »

They're wasting their time with dumb ass Staleman. :lmao:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #291: October 12, 2017, 11:50:36 AM »
FP was on 106.7 and joked that Stras is startin' today.

Offline varoadking

• This is Howie do it...
« Reply #292: October 12, 2017, 11:56:01 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline varoadking

• This is Howie do it...
« Reply #293: October 12, 2017, 11:57:04 AM »

It's not what we do...  :hysterical:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #294: October 12, 2017, 11:57:07 AM »

They're wasting their time with dumb ass Staleman. :lmao:

It's why God made the "Stale bucket".

Offline varoadking

• This is Howie do it...
« Reply #295: October 12, 2017, 11:58:06 AM »

He is a special advisor to Theo...on the payroll, IIRC...

Offline bluestreak

« Reply #296: October 12, 2017, 12:03:08 PM »
He is a special advisor to Theo...on the payroll, IIRC...

Don't forget about his stint on Dancing with the Stars. That makes him uniquely qualified to talk about "heart" and "guts"

Offline Slateman

« Reply #297: October 12, 2017, 12:42:41 PM »
Yep, and unless he starts deleting posts, they're all still on page 10.  He already deleted some unless this spilled into another thread.  He said something about being tired of our players concealing illness and injuries then playing and performing badly.  I made the point SS DID reveal he was sick and even so, it's stupid to not have him go out there unless he's just deathly ill.  I made the point of MJ not telling Steve Kerr to take his place in the Flu game in Utah.  And by all accounts MJ was still much sicker for that game than SS was by the time yesterday rolled around.  Adrenaline can carry an athlete in a big moment even if they sick, plus as MJ said, you lock in more mentally when you are dealing with illness.  SS was no doubt locked in.
Haven't deleted anything.

Here are the ACTUAL posts:

SSS number 1 right here folks. The true believer.

Never called you crazy. So you're new here, and maybe because of that you deserve the benefit of the doubt. "SSS" refers to Sunshine Squad. Once upon a time, there were two camps: The Sunshine Squad and the Legion of Doom. The SSS thought everything would work out, while the LoD believed that the Nats would fail at every turn, ultimately resulting in a 75 win season.

So basically, I complimented you on being positive, and you responded with calling me a liar.

Then we go to these posts:
It is when he was sick as dogcrap yesterday. Also you have us beating the Cubs at home tomorrow.

Still haven't called you crazy. You tell me that I think it's crazy to think Strasburg would do well on Wednesday, when all I did was say you were SSS. Furthermore, I go on to clarify that, yes, I thought it was crazy to think Strasburg would be good the day before when he was sick as dog crap, as evidenced by the report that both the manager and the general manager didn't think that what he could do would be all that much. So yes, it's stupid to have Strasburg go when those two look at him and say .... eh, probably not our best bet.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #298: October 12, 2017, 12:44:04 PM »
FP was on 106.7 and joked that Stras is startin' today.
FP is really the best. God I wish he'd do a dual broadcast with Charlie and Dave