Author Topic: CORRECTION - Going With Strasburg Today!  (Read 15799 times)

Offline NatsLSU

Re: Going With Roark Tomorrow
« Reply #125: October 11, 2017, 10:14:14 AM »
The conflicting timelines tells me Stras is indeed a wussy and the Nats are doing all they can to save face. These players have access to all kinds of medicine/IV’s to take care of the common flu/cold. It’s absurd Stras can’t go today. I’d ship him out to be honest.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #126: October 11, 2017, 10:15:59 AM »

Yeah it doesn't add up.  My guess, and its only that, is that he is very ill and we're getting the normal "optimistic" report, and he may not be able to go tomorrow, or that he has an injury and its being kept quiet

For public relations purposes I think that's the worst thing they could do.  Mark Tishera (I give up on trying to spell his name) was on Mike and Mike this morning. He blasted Dusty's remarks; he said the team should be saying that he's in the hospital, getting intravenous fluid and last rites, no matter what the truth is.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #127: October 11, 2017, 10:18:09 AM »
The conflicting timelines tells me Stras is indeed a wussy and the Nats are doing all they can to save face.
Until there is a credible report, I refuse to believe that this was Strasburg's decision.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #128: October 11, 2017, 10:23:27 AM »
Until there is a credible report, I refuse to believe that this was Strasburg's decision.

I'm going with the team covering for Dusty being a moron until something else comes out

Offline dlayman

« Reply #129: October 11, 2017, 10:26:13 AM »
For public relations purposes I think that's the worst thing they could do.  Mark Tishera (I give up on trying to spell his name) was on Mike and Mike this morning. He blasted Dusty's remarks; he said the team should be saying that he's in the hospital, getting intravenous fluid and last rites, no matter what the truth is.

Oh, I agree, but that's not the way they do things.  I have a hard time believing either that 1. Strass begged off the start or 2. the Nats wouldn't start him if they thought it was the best option.   The team has bungled the optics of this, badly.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #130: October 11, 2017, 10:26:43 AM »
Rizzo is on the radio now, sounding both overly defensive and absolutely devoid of logic- no answer to why it was announced yesterday before they saw how Stras was feeling today

Offline dlayman

« Reply #131: October 11, 2017, 10:28:19 AM »
Rizzo is on the radio now, sounding both overly defensive and absolutely devoid of logic- no answer to why it was announced yesterday before they saw how Stras was feeling today

That's a very good question and another reason to suspect we're not getting the full story and to suspect Strass may not be ready if we make a Game 5.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #132: October 11, 2017, 10:30:16 AM »
I'm going with the team covering for Dusty being a moron until something else comes out
Steve Czabin went ballistic yesterday afternoon immediately upon hearing the news.  A fabulous rant.  He finished with "Dusty,we got a  phone call from a village.  They're missing their idiot."

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #133: October 11, 2017, 10:31:11 AM »
We freaking deserve to lose.

Offline NatsLSU

« Reply #134: October 11, 2017, 10:31:14 AM »
Just typical DC sports. They’ll find a way to win today though just to get an early rad tomorrow and blow it with the ideal closer situation.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #135: October 11, 2017, 10:32:04 AM »
If he is actually ill, it is management's job to put someone else out there. It doesn't help anyone if Strasburg goes out there for two innings then throws up, literally or figuratively, on the mound and you have 7 innings left.

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #136: October 11, 2017, 10:33:11 AM »

Yea, I heard him on the Junkies this morning.  He just said that they are required to name a starter.  But he did say it's within the rules to switch back to Strasburg if he's feeling better today. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #137: October 11, 2017, 10:33:17 AM »
devoid of logic- no answer to why it was announced yesterday
That's probably because there is no conceivable logical answer to why they couldn't just say it's a game time decision.  No matter what the truth.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #138: October 11, 2017, 10:35:45 AM »
He just said that they are required to name a starter.
You know what then? He should have named, say, Perez. And then said unofficially that it will be either Roark or Strasburg, and it will be a game time decision.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #139: October 11, 2017, 10:36:39 AM »
  But he did say it's within the rules to switch back to Strasburg if he's feeling better today. 

So they're starting to back off.  I'll bet Strasburg starts.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #140: October 11, 2017, 10:36:41 AM »
Just name Strasburg - worse case, he's a game time scratch and you don't have a whole fanbase hating either one of their aces or their manager

Offline Ray D

« Reply #141: October 11, 2017, 10:37:17 AM »
Just name Strasburg - worse case, he's a game time scratch and you don't have a whole fanbase hating either one of their aces or their manager
That works too.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #142: October 11, 2017, 10:39:15 AM »
Y'all worry 'bout y'all selves...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #143: October 11, 2017, 10:41:06 AM »

If you think Dusty made this decision on his own, you’re crazy.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #144: October 11, 2017, 10:42:08 AM »

I think he answered a question at a press conference without thinking and now they're covering rather than saying our idiot manager said something without thinking or consulting

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #145: October 11, 2017, 10:48:05 AM »

I agree, and I think he screwed up the press conference probably because he just couldn't wrap his head around the fact that his "ace" just told him he wasn't going to take the ball in the most important game of our season.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #146: October 11, 2017, 11:00:44 AM »
I agree, and I think he screwed up the press conference probably because he just couldn't wrap his head around the fact that his "ace" just told him he wasn't going to take the ball in the most important game of our season.
I'm having a hard time thinking this is the case.

I agree this is all a big mess, but the absolute worst case would be for Strasburg to come out and pitch an inning or 2 and not be able to continue and also not be available for game 5.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #147: October 11, 2017, 11:04:40 AM »

Right. But, as always, the way this team operates, they're devoid of any kind of PR savvy.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #148: October 11, 2017, 11:06:12 AM »
I'm having a hard time thinking this is the case.

I agree this is all a big mess, but the absolute worst case would be for Strasburg to come out and pitch an inning or 2 and not be able to continue and also not be available for game 5.
No it's not. The worst case if you get beat in game 4 with your ace not taking the mound when he's available. If he takes the mound and he gets beat, then you tip your cap and move on.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #149: October 11, 2017, 11:13:51 AM »
No it's not. The worst case if you get beat in game 4 with your ace not taking the mound when he's available.

THANK YOU!