Author Topic: CORRECTION - Going With Strasburg Today!  (Read 8142 times)

Offline vicki4471

Re: Going With Roark Tomorrow
« Reply #150: October 11, 2017, 11:21:55 AM »
If we are going to trot Roark out there and pray, can we at least try to shake things up offensively?  Sit Werth and for the love of God sit Turner. Could Difo and Lind do any worse?

Online DPMOmaha

« Reply #151: October 11, 2017, 11:29:53 AM »
I'm not sitting Turner. Might sit Werth, I was cool with yesterday's lineup.

Offline Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong
« Reply #152: October 11, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »

Offline welch

« Reply #155: October 11, 2017, 11:34:54 AM »
If we are going to trot Roark out there and pray, can we at least try to shake things up offensively?  Sit Werth and for the love of God sit Turner. Could Difo and Lind do any worse?

Agree.

Strasburg won't pitch. Doesn't matter when or how the team announces that. Important thing is that Turner has not come close to hitting anything. It's not just a bad-luck series for him. He looks awful.

Online DPMOmaha

« Reply #156: October 11, 2017, 11:37:14 AM »
Morosi now saying Stras is likely to go today.
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/918137187367047168

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #157: October 11, 2017, 11:39:47 AM »
Morosi now saying Stras is likely to go today.
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/918137187367047168

what the actual freak is going on?

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #158: October 11, 2017, 11:42:52 AM »
Ok, I'm holding out hope here - what are the odds that Strasburg gets up tomorrow and feels better and Dusty pulls the old bait-and-switch and pitches him?

Call me Nostradamus  :) :) :)

Offline skippy1999

« Reply #159: October 11, 2017, 11:43:05 AM »
We are still the Natinals aren't we? :(

Offline RiotAct

« Reply #160: October 11, 2017, 11:43:39 AM »
That Dusty... what a crafty guy

Offline Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong
« Reply #161: October 11, 2017, 11:44:03 AM »
Well, Stras was sick as crap. Low and behold, they move him out of a freaked up room and he feels better the next day.

Offline skippy1999

« Reply #162: October 11, 2017, 11:46:36 AM »
Well, Stras was sick as crap. Low and behold, they move him out of a freaked up room and he feels better the next day.
:roll:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #163: October 11, 2017, 11:52:28 AM »
We are such a mess.

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #164: October 11, 2017, 11:52:47 AM »

My guess is they told him he wasn't pitching because they didn't think a rainout would actually happen yesterday and had him throwing in the outfield. Then, when everyone mocked the asinine reasoning the manager gave, they tried to leak the idea that it was Stras not wanting to start instead of the team making another asinine decision. Now they're realizing how monumentally stupid it would be to not start him with the gift of the extra day off and are trying to do the PR work to salvage the situation as much as possible.

All of that could have been avoided if they don't put him in the outfield soft tossing before the game yesterday, don't make an announcement either way yesterday for today's game, and then make the obvious call to go with Stras today. This is the vortex of ineptitude created by a manager who has 20+ years of not being able to handle a pitching staff and a front office who can't figure out how rain delays work in their own freaking park a decade after opening it. They're not good at making decisions in real time at any level of the organization.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #165: October 11, 2017, 11:57:06 AM »
I'm having a hard time thinking this is the case.

I agree this is all a big mess, but the absolute worst case would be for Strasburg to come out and pitch an inning or 2 and not be able to continue and also not be available for game 5.

If it's 2 good innings before he vomits and exits the game I'm cool with it.

Offline Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong
« Reply #166: October 11, 2017, 11:59:27 AM »
My guess is they told him he wasn't pitching because they didn't think a rainout would actually happen yesterday and had him throwing in the outfield. Then, when everyone mocked the asinine reasoning the manager gave, they tried to leak the idea that it was Stras not wanting to start instead of the team making another asinine decision. Now they're realizing how monumentally stupid it would be to not start him with the gift of the extra day off and are trying to do the PR work to salvage the situation as much as possible.

Except that reports from reputable reporters have refuted this entirely.

If it's 2 good innings before he vomits and exits the game I'm cool with it.
Yea, it'll be great to have Roark come into the third inning with two runners on and no outs. What could go wrong.

Offline dlayman

« Reply #167: October 11, 2017, 12:01:22 PM »

All of that could have been avoided if they don't put him in the outfield soft tossing before the game yesterday, don't make an announcement either way yesterday for today's game, and then make the obvious call to go with Stras today. This is the vortex of ineptitude created by a manager who has 20+ years of not being able to handle a pitching staff and a front office who can't figure out how rain delays work in their own freaking park a decade after opening it. They're not good at making decisions in real time at any level of the organization.

That's as likely a scenario as anything.  Supposedly plenty of witnesses that Strass was indeed very sick yesterday, is it all fake?  Can this organization handle anything competently? 

Offline varoadking

• This is Howie do it...

Offline bluestreak

« Reply #169: October 11, 2017, 12:07:28 PM »
I think the most likely scenario is that Strasburg was sick, said he didn't feel like he could give it his best. I think they bungled the response because they were trying to cover for their player. It's easy to bungle explanations when they aren't the complete truth. And I don't expect complete truth from sports organizations.

Offline Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong
« Reply #170: October 11, 2017, 12:10:14 PM »
I think the most likely scenario is that Strasburg was sick, said he didn't feel like he could give it his best. I think they bungled the response because they were trying to cover for their player. It's easy to bungle explanations when they aren't the complete truth. And I don't expect complete truth from sports organizations.
That's not bungling the response. That's a manager doing his freaking job.

Offline dlayman

« Reply #171: October 11, 2017, 12:10:46 PM »

That's also a reasonable possibility.  But why say anything at all last night?  Name Strass the starter and if he can't go, he's a game time scratch.   Don't need to advertise to the cubs that he's under the weather.  Again, competence.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #172: October 11, 2017, 12:14:15 PM »

Yea, it'll be great to have Roark come into the third inning with two runners on and no outs. What could go wrong.

You don't understand what good innings mean but that isn't new.

Offline dlayman

« Reply #173: October 11, 2017, 12:16:21 PM »
I'd love to see Strass go out and pitch a gem and somehow  the bats wake up and turn the series around, and then Strass can take the hatchet job of "journalism" by Nightengale and shove it in his face.

« Reply #174: October 11, 2017, 12:16:44 PM »
Not sure I like this move depending on how sick he was.  I mean what the Nats need as much as anything is a crooked number on the board in the top of the first.