Author Topic: CORRECTION - Going With Strasburg Today!  (Read 9352 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

Re: Going With Roark Tomorrow
« Reply #100: October 11, 2017, 08:31:19 AM »
Maybe lied, maybe mis-spoke. I'm not sure he's concerned about a day before today at this point.

With the amount of mis-information the team has a history of putting out about the health of their players, I am more than a little skeptical of the accuracy of all this.  I never trust any medical info from the Nats.   Especially when we already know Dusty lied about when the BP session was.  There's more to this.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #101: October 11, 2017, 08:34:03 AM »
I think it's totally possible that he's hacking wheezing and coughing with a 102 fever, but said to Dusty and Rizzo "I'll give it all I've got" and they said "We'll go with Tanner."

They're down one. Game 5 is an elimination game too.

I know it sounds silly but what if he simply doesn't want to take Tanner's start from him?

Offline More of #34

« Reply #102: October 11, 2017, 08:36:45 AM »
There is a Pollyanna version to today:

Roark pitches the game of his life through six innings.

Bullpen is outstanding in the 7th, 8th and 9th.

Our "hitters" mysteriously find their bats & produce multiple runs.

And Strasburg is feeling 100% tomorrow and pitches us to victory! :lol:

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #103: October 11, 2017, 08:39:09 AM »
What has been our record this season for games after a postponed game?

I'm not thrilled about Roark I almost would have prefered the 2012 bad Gio over Roark. Hope Mr. Tanner has his stuff today. More so I hope that our bats are super hot and the Cubs bats are cold and broken.

Offline Smithian

• Team America 2018
« Reply #104: October 11, 2017, 08:42:12 AM »
You pay money to be entertained for an evening.  You don't have any authority over personnel decisions, nor does anyone here, myself included.  Support the team that gets put on the field and let the chips fall where they may.
This isn't the local high school team. This is a business.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #105: October 11, 2017, 08:42:49 AM »
Anything is possible. I think Dusty and Rizzo make the decision in cases like that, though.

He's probably the kind of sick that makes it hard to breath. It sucks, but that happens.

I know it sounds silly but what if he simply doesn't want to take Tanner's start from him?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #106: October 11, 2017, 08:55:35 AM »

He's probably the kind of sick that makes it hard to breath. It sucks, but that happens.

There are drugs that get you through that sort of thing. Drugs that can make you feel 100% for a few hours. Players don't take them regularly because of long-term effect, but if there is a time to take them, it's now.

Offline bluestreak

« Reply #107: October 11, 2017, 08:58:35 AM »
There are drugs that get you through that sort of thing. Drugs that can make you feel 100% for a few hours. Players don't take them regularly because of long-term effect, but if there is a time to take them, it's now.

Given that no one knows exactly what type of illness we are dealing with, I’m not sure what drug is going to make you feel 100 percent

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #108: October 11, 2017, 09:02:02 AM »
Ok, I'm holding out hope here - what are the odds that Strasburg gets up tomorrow and feels better and Dusty pulls the old bait-and-switch and pitches him?  As far as I know there isn't any kind of deadline on naming a pitcher, so I was surprised that Dusty came out so early and said that Roark would still pitch tomorrow.  Normally the Nats routine is to delay any announcement until the very last minute, so could they be trying to pull a fast one here?  I certainly hope so.

This is definitely the sort of WWE plot twist worthy of your avatar, Sergeant Slaughter.  jk

I know that Scherzer would pitch if three of his limbs were falling off and he had to roll to the mound using just his right arm.  Unless Strasburg is on his death-bed, I would hope he feels the same, but that remains to be seen.
Look, in order to advance, Strasburg is going to have to start and be lights out again this series.  We agree on that.  Given that, do you pitch him now or at home?  I would be down on him if this under-the-weather stuff kept him out of both potential starts and we were stuck with Roark then Gio (should we win), but the strategy here has to be to win both games.  Is Stras on the road, Gio at home that much better an option than Roark on the road, Stras at home, even without the "under the weather" stuff?

I truly could care less about going all in for Game 4 and blowing Game 5.  Been there, done that.  Was in the crowd in 2012.  Werthquake, Michael Morse in the 8th, sure was fun once.  I want to win this thing.  Convince me a subpar Stras and then Gio at home is a clearly better option, then I'm on board with saying this is a disaster.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #109: October 11, 2017, 09:11:55 AM »
We shut him down in a WS year so 5 years later - pitching at the absolute top of his prime  - he could sit out an elimination game with a freaking cold?  After he's given us 2 playoff starts in his career and just got signed to a 175 million dollar contract?  This is perhaps the most gutless moment in baseball history.  It is the diametric opposite of the Bloody Sock Game that helped Boston overcome The Curse of the Bambino.  There is literally no chance we ever win a title with him on the roster while having a major role.  It's now a certifiable impossibility unless the universe is truly corrupt.

Shameful beyond belief.  It's a new low-point for D.C. Sports and the crazy thing is we're still in the hunt.  Incredible...
ironic you mention the bloody sock because Francona has brought his teams back from 3-0 and 3-1 to win ALCS in '04 and '07 and for almost pulling it off again in '08.  You know what Francona says about starting guys on short rest when facing an elimination game? He doesn't do it if he has to win the next one. He says I have to win them all.  In '04, what Schilling did was amazing, but there was no #4 or #5 starter available (Lowe, Martinez, Wakefield, and Arroyo had all pitched w in games 3/4/5), so it is not like this situation.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #110: October 11, 2017, 09:13:09 AM »
I think it's totally possible that he's hacking wheezing and coughing with a 102 fever, but said to Dusty and Rizzo "I'll give it all I've got" and they said "We'll go with Tanner."

They're down one. Game 5 is an elimination game too.

That's basically what Chelsea Janes is reporting (bolding is mine):

"People close to the situation confirmed that Strasburg is indeed sick. One used colorful adjectives to describe the extent of the illness. When asked if he could pitch Wednesday, according to a person familiar, Strasburg said he “would give [the Nationals] what he had.” Those involved in the decision — Baker, General Manager Mike Rizzo, Strasburg and pitching coach Mike Maddux — concluded what he had would not be much."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/10/10/the-nationals-would-have-liked-to-have-stephen-strasburg-start-game-4-they-will-not/?utm_term=.7bf2c33ea1a4

Offline Ray D

« Reply #111: October 11, 2017, 09:28:31 AM »
  Convince me a subpar Stras and then Gio at home is a clearly better option, then I'm on board with saying this is a disaster.
Depends on how "subpar", and how much his condition can be improved by drugs.  But if a drugged up Strasburg is a better option today than Roark, then that's an overall better option for two reasons.  (1) Gio is better than Roark (we have a better chance of winning with Gio tomorrow than with Roark today).  (2) Scherzer can pitch a few innings tomorrow (butnot today). He'd be needed more if Gio pitches than if Strasburg does.

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #112: October 11, 2017, 09:31:05 AM »
I just want to know how, if he is so ill today are they 100 percent certain he will be cured by tomorrow and able to pitch? Thursdays availability does not seem to be a concern and that seems odd to me.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #113: October 11, 2017, 09:36:24 AM »
I just want to know how, if he is so ill today are they 100 percent certain he will be cured by tomorrow and able to pitch? Thursdays availability does not seem to be a concern and that seems odd to me.

I was wondering the exact same thing. If he's too sick to pitch today, what makes them think he'll magically be better by tomorrow?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #114: October 11, 2017, 09:36:36 AM »
I wondered exactly that. It makes this all so much more bizarre.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #115: October 11, 2017, 09:38:00 AM »
Max could go on Thursday. It wouldn't be contrary to Max's approach to pitching ("just give me the freaking ball.")

Online mitlen

« Reply #116: October 11, 2017, 09:39:13 AM »
I was wondering the exact same thing. If he's too sick to pitch today, what makes them think he'll magically be better by tomorrow?
I wondered exactly that. It makes this all so much more bizarre.

Same here.    This is the kind of stuff that makes fans think the Nats are playin' us when it particularly comes to Stras.

"This seems simple enough, I hope, because I’m explaining it to you in logical order. But much of the baseball world’s head is spinning at this moment because, at a news conference after the rainout, Manager Dusty Baker misspoke — twice. And it made the Nats look like they had no clue what they were doing."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/what-we-have-here-for-the-nats-is-a-failure-to-communicate/2017/10/10/27ae0eba-ae10-11e7-9e58-e6288544af98_story.html?utm_term=.5de83910fbba

What is it with the Nats and rain?

Offline Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong
« Reply #117: October 11, 2017, 09:41:23 AM »
He has a better chance tomorrow than he does today.

Also, think about it like this: Everyone got yesterday off, so everyone is available out of the pen, except Max and Stras. You go all out, win today, and the put less sick Stras on the mound tomorrow. He gets your 3-4 innings, bring in Max for a couple innings, go to the back of the pen.

But knowing Dusty, he'll just leave Strass out there for 150 pitches

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #118: October 11, 2017, 09:42:20 AM »
Max could go on Thursday. It wouldn't be contrary to Max's approach to pitching ("just give me the freaking ball.")

Max pitched on Monday. They would let Max pitch on 2 days rest with a bad hammy ?????

Offline Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong
« Reply #119: October 11, 2017, 09:44:20 AM »
Max pitched on Monday. They would let Max pitch on 2 days rest with a bad hammy ?????
In a clinching game? They should. You want Max for 2 innings or Gio for 2 innings?

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #120: October 11, 2017, 09:45:19 AM »
Just say by some miracle we survive today, but Stras turns out to be actually very sick and is down for several days...... How do you line it up then or are we just basically screwed????

Offline Ray D

« Reply #121: October 11, 2017, 09:49:19 AM »
Just say by some miracle we survive today, but Stras turns out to be actually very sick and is down for several days...... How do you line it up then or are we just basically screwed????
Start Gio, hope to get five good innings from him. Then Scherzer, two innings. (On two days rest, he can give you two good innings, but not more.)  Then Madsen and Doolittle one inning each.

Offline dlayman

« Reply #122: October 11, 2017, 09:59:24 AM »
Same here.    This is the kind of stuff that makes fans think the Nats are playin' us when it particularly comes to Stras.

"This seems simple enough, I hope, because I’m explaining it to you in logical order. But much of the baseball world’s head is spinning at this moment because, at a news conference after the rainout, Manager Dusty Baker misspoke — twice. And it made the Nats look like they had no clue what they were doing."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/what-we-have-here-for-the-nats-is-a-failure-to-communicate/2017/10/10/27ae0eba-ae10-11e7-9e58-e6288544af98_story.html?utm_term=.5de83910fbba

What is it with the Nats and rain?

Yeah it doesn't add up.  My guess, and its only that, is that he is very ill and we're getting the normal "optimistic" report, and he may not be able to go tomorrow, or that he has an injury and its being kept quiet

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #123: October 11, 2017, 10:01:21 AM »
Next guy up. You pitch Gio tomorrow.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #124: October 11, 2017, 10:09:37 AM »

Johnny Wholestaff