Author Topic: Roster construction  (Read 548 times)

Offline rileyn

Roster construction
« Topic Start: October 10, 2017, 06:43:47 AM »
In playoff games started by Scherzer, Strasburg, and Jordan Zimmermann, the Nats are 0-7.  0-7!!  And that includes one brilliantly pitched game by each of them.  It seems clear that strong starting pitching will win regular season games, but really doesn't mean much in the post-season.  Our bullpen seems deep going into next year (who knows if our manager will use our best ones in crucial moments), but what about the lineup?  Eaton replacing Werth seems to be the only change we will see next year.  Is that enough?  Do these guys have the DNA needed to win in October? 

Are you happy with another NL East title next year, with an early October flame out?  Or, do we need to do something more radical?

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Re: Roster construction
« Reply #1: October 10, 2017, 08:51:35 AM »
Sadly, it has become apparent to me that if you want your team to have success in the playoffs you need to be rooting for another team.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2: October 10, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »
i'd still argue that this is the best Nats team we've ever put on the field, at least on paper.  But with the majority of them hitting below .200, and two starters hitting .000 in the playoffs, including your leadoff hitter, you aren't going to win games.

I don't know the answer.  So far it seems it has just been a series of bad breaks.  The Cubs aren't hitting much better, but they are getting the lucky drops, errors, etc.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #3: October 10, 2017, 09:12:56 AM »
i'd still argue that this is the best Nats team we've ever put on the field, at least on paper.  But with the majority of them hitting below .200, and two starters hitting .000 in the playoffs, including your leadoff hitter, you aren't going to win games.

I don't know the answer.  So far it seems it has just been a series of bad breaks.  The Cubs aren't hitting much better, but they are getting the lucky drops, errors, etc.

So it's a crapshoot, and we've been rolling snake-eyes for 4 postseasons?

Offline imref

« Reply #4: October 10, 2017, 09:15:42 AM »
So it's a crapshoot, and we've been rolling snake-eyes for 4 postseasons?

It sure seems that way. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #5: October 10, 2017, 09:19:45 AM »
same excuse has worked for Rizzo since 2012, why change it now

Offline Ray D

« Reply #6: October 10, 2017, 09:21:54 AM »
i'd still argue that this is the best Nats team we've ever put on the field, at least on paper. 

And it's all on paper. I'm starting to think the team really stinks.  Lots of inflated numbers from beating up on bad teams and bad pitching.

Offline natsarl

« Reply #7: October 10, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »

Spot on.  We can't expect to win the series with our offense the way it is.  And I completely agree with your last point - the Cubs offense has been pretty bad too but they've either gotten the lucky drop, made some nice plays in the outfield (2 nice catches yesterday saved a total of 3 runs), etc

Offline imref

« Reply #8: October 10, 2017, 12:27:50 PM »
And it's all on paper. I'm starting to think the team really stinks.  Lots of inflated numbers from beating up on bad teams and bad pitching.

as others pointed out, we did pretty well against teams outside of the East.

Offline Optics

« Reply #9: October 10, 2017, 12:31:54 PM »
What more can be done? We had four .300 hitters in the regular season. Turner was close and was gonna lead the league in steals if not for an injury. Okay maybe Werth and Weiters aren't very good, but how many teams have 8(or 9 in the AL case)top notch hitters?

Like the Caps, the Nats are just mental midgets. Something in this town breeds losers.

Offline mdnatsfan

« Reply #10: October 10, 2017, 12:41:02 PM »
In four playoff collapses (embarrassments?) -- yes I'm counting this year already-- pitching has NEVER been the problem. (well a little bit one time).

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #11: October 10, 2017, 01:24:51 PM »
In four playoff collapses (embarrassments?) -- yes I'm counting this year already-- pitching has NEVER been the problem. (well a little bit one time).
Really? Nationals had an ERA of over 6 in 2012 against the Cards and an ERA of 4.00 last year.