Author Topic: Mets are buying the Chiefs  (Read 30831 times)

Offline whytev

Re: Mets are buying the Chiefs
« Reply #25: October 09, 2017, 08:59:34 PM »
They're pushing for a new park in Potomac, right? Why not just make it a AAA ballpark and put it there. Easier to find a location for a lower level affiliate than a higher one.

Who would they play against?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #26: October 09, 2017, 09:00:41 PM »
Who would they play against?

The Cubs.     :couch:

Offline whytev

« Reply #27: October 09, 2017, 09:00:51 PM »
They're our players at Syracuse.

Yeah but they need a league. You can put a AAA team wherever you want but you have to give them a league.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #28: October 09, 2017, 09:33:05 PM »
buy vegas and then do the horse trading. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29: October 09, 2017, 09:36:03 PM »

If the Nats AAA team was in Vegas, I’d probably use it as a justification for a yearly trip out there and “see the prospects”

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #30: October 09, 2017, 09:42:50 PM »
If the Nats AAA team was in Vegas, I’d probably use it as a justification for a yearly trip out there and “see the prospects”

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I think the missus would go for that.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #31: October 09, 2017, 09:53:16 PM »
Yeah but they need a league. You can put a AAA team wherever you want but you have to give them a league.

More complicated than I'm thinking, I guess.

Where do the Mets current AAA team play? Oh... Las Vegas. I get it now. Doh.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #32: October 09, 2017, 10:27:27 PM »
They're our players at Syracuse.

There are 30 AAA franchises, just like there are 30 MLB franchises.  You can't create a new AAA team out of thin air because there cannot be more AAA teams than MLB teams.  You need to move one of the existing 30.  You get to take your affiliated players wherever your team is, but you need league approval to put a team somewhere.  So just like the Montreal Expos became the Washington Nationals, the Richmond Braves became the Gwinnett Braves.  So which city loses its AAA team in your scenario?

So again, which AAA team would you propose to move, and how would you do it? (Note that step 1 would require buying a team, so which one is for sale to a buyer that had the intention of moving it?)

Lotta horse trading.  That's a PCL team, so you're either trying to move a PCL franchise to the Atlantic coast, or you're pushing for a realignment. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #33: October 09, 2017, 11:26:38 PM »
Richmond would be ideal but they need a stadium.  Charlottesville could be an option.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #34: October 10, 2017, 10:39:53 AM »
Charlottesville could be an option.
team name: the Torches

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35: October 10, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »

So again, which AAA team would you propose to move, and how would you do it? (Note that step 1 would require buying a team, so which one is for sale to a buyer that had the intention of moving it?)

Lotta horse trading.  That's a PCL team, so you're either trying to move a PCL franchise to the Atlantic coast, or you're pushing for a realignment. 
right now, the leagues are 15/15.  I don't think they do interleague, so that means an idle team every night like it was in MLB before the Astros move. Why not go 16/14 and buy/move Vegas?  If no one really wants to be there, then you'd think moving it might be possible.  Why not a straight swap of Richmond and Vegas?  Is there an AA league Vegas (Former Richmond) could join?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36: October 10, 2017, 11:19:15 AM »
Richmond would be ideal but they need a stadium.  Charlottesville could be an option.
You'd think they could split a stadium with UVa.  how big is UVa's stadium?  Are they looking for an upgrade?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #37: October 10, 2017, 11:21:10 AM »
right now, the leagues are 15/15.  I don't think they do interleague, so that means an idle team every night like it was in MLB before the Astros move. Why not go 16/14 and buy/move Vegas?  If no one really wants to be there, then you'd think moving it might be possible.  Why not a straight swap of Richmond and Vegas?  Is there an AA league Vegas (Former Richmond) could join?

Is there anything stopping them from setting up Richmond as an expansion team?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #38: October 10, 2017, 11:22:01 AM »
It's actually 16/14. PCL has 16 teams.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #39: October 10, 2017, 11:24:12 AM »
Richmond is signed with the Giants through '20.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #40: October 10, 2017, 12:24:29 PM »

They're 16/14 at present, and there's no AA anywhere close to Vegas - as in, the closest team is Midland, which is almost exactly 800 miles away.  That's a total non-starter.  A buy/move of Vegas might work, but you'd need to swap the 16/14 the other way and find a landing city.  Best candidates to be the second team to move to the IL from the PCL would be Nashville. 

Of course, my preferred solution would be to move the Orioles to Vegas and move the Nats AAA to Baltimore, but Donald Trump will have a normal haircut and Stevie Wonder will be a pilot before that happens.

Yes.  There are already 30 AAA teams.  There can't be more AAA teams than major league teams.  That and there's already a AA team in Richmond that occupies the only viable stadium and is signed through 2020 with the Giants.

You'd think they could split a stadium with UVa.  how big is UVa's stadium?  Are they looking for an upgrade?

It's a tad over 5,000 right now, and it's actually being renovated and expanded right now (as in, it's under construction right now).  Capacity will increase modestly, but not up to AAA size.  It's also owned by UVA, and Charlottesville really isn't an ideal option for a minor league team - virtually the entire season happens when the city is missing 20,000 people or so.   A-ball maybe - but again, you'd need to cut a deal with UVA to use Davenport, which would be fantastic by the standards of the Carolina League.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #41: October 10, 2017, 12:30:54 PM »
They're 16/14 at present, and there's no AA anywhere close to Vegas - as in, the closest team is Midland, which is almost exactly 800 miles away.  That's a total non-starter.

Yes.  There are already 30 AAA teams.  There can't be more AAA teams than major league teams.  That and there's already a AA team in Richmond that occupies the only viable stadium and is signed through 2020 with the Giants.

It's a tad over 5,000 right now, and it's actually being renovated and expanded right now (as in, it's under construction right now).  Capacity will increase modestly, but not up to AAA size.  It's also owned by UVA, and Charlottesville really isn't an ideal option for a minor league team - virtually the entire season happens when the city is missing 20,000 people or so.   A-ball maybe - but again, you'd need to cut a deal with UVA to use Davenport, which would be fantastic by the standards of the Carolina League.

It could work for a year, though. If they were able to come to an agreement with Richmond for after 2020, it might be an option.  There would have to be a restructuring of sorts if that were to happen. Purchasing and moving Vegas or something like that. Nashville might have to jump to the IL, perhaps. It will be interesting to see how things play out, because I can't imagine they'd want anything to do with Vegas.

Also, Omaha's stadium only has 6400 permanent seats. Don't think that size of park would be a hindrance for a temporary solution. The pics I'm seeing of the UVA construction project look pretty similar to Werner Park.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42: October 10, 2017, 12:40:29 PM »
Tampa's contract with Durham is only through 2018. Is there any way that that could somehow work for the Nats. The Bulls have been with Tampa for like 20 years, so I imagine they are happy and might not want to move, but Durham would be perfect I would think. Storied minor league team that can support itself, good distance from the Nats, etc. I'd see it as similar to the relationship that the Tigers have with Toledo.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #43: October 10, 2017, 12:43:25 PM »
It could work for a year, though. If they were able to come to an agreement with Richmond for after 2020, it might be an option.  There would have to be a restructuring of sorts if that were to happen. Purchasing and moving Vegas or something like that. Nashville might have to jump to the IL, perhaps. It will be interesting to see how things play out, because I can't imagine they'd want anything to do with Vegas.

Also, Omaha's stadium only has 6400 permanent seats. Don't think that size of park would be a hindrance for a temporary solution. The pics I'm seeing of the UVA construction project look pretty similar to Werner Park.

Would need to be 2 years, but yes, it could - if UVA were to agree.  I suspect the IL would also want a bunch of money spent on the stadium in Richmond (or a new one) as well.  That's a lot of effort, though - suspect they might be willing to take 2 years with Vegas and then try to do better in the next round of musical chairs, or try actually making a decent offer to Nashville to switch from the A's.  That's a short-term arrangement, so it might be doable. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44: October 10, 2017, 01:00:47 PM »
It's actually 16/14. PCL has 16 teams.
you know my eyes are bad when I go to milb.com, literally count the teams twice in the International league, and come to 15 each time.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #45: October 10, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »
Could the Nats not have locked this franchise down before this?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #46: October 10, 2017, 01:07:09 PM »
you know my eyes are bad when I go to milb.com, literally count the teams twice in the International league, and come to 15 each time.

Get Mathguy engaged on this for you...

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #47: October 10, 2017, 01:07:50 PM »
Theoretically, evidently. Unless they didn't want to be locked into Syracuse forever in case they could get a better option. This may or may not be an opportunity to do that. Time will tell on that.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #48: October 10, 2017, 01:08:48 PM »

If they'd wanted to buy the team, sure, but it's not clear to me that the Nats were any more interested in Syracuse as a permanent solution than Syracuse was in the Nats as a permanent solution.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #49: October 10, 2017, 01:08:52 PM »

The Chiefs were locally owned. Reading the local stories, it seemed like the state government helped with the deal. I'm guessing this was in the works for awhile. It would be nice if the Learners would learn the lesson, it seems like a large number of aaa affiliates are owned by their teams and play local to those teams.