Author Topic: Mets are buying the Chiefs  (Read 30827 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Mets are buying the Chiefs
« Reply #150: February 03, 2018, 12:50:16 PM »
Wouldn't boston have to give a waiver if another team wants to move to pawtucket? I think it's inside of Boston's home territory
maybe?  I forget how many miles Pawtucket is to Fenway.  it may be < 50. 

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #152: February 04, 2018, 05:43:55 PM »
Is there any movement in Richmond towards a stadium suitable for AAA again?  I know they are AA now, but somehow I can't imagine the Giants  could be convinced to swap affiliations if the new city had a decent airport and connections. 

One thing maybe to watch is whether the Red Sox move their AAA franchise from Pawtucket either to Worcester or Providence.  That would free up McCoy for an AA team, especially if the PawSox move to Worcester.

This is the most recent article I could find on the Richmond ballpark situation:

http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/government-politics/general-assembly/virginia-abc-looks-for-room-to-grow-as-it-nears/article_f9d26665-f117-5a5a-a862-e1f624d5890b.html

It only briefly touches on the ballpark.  I guess the parties looking to build the park (Flying Squirrels, VCU) are waiting on a decision about the state-owned warehouse that currently sits on the land targeted for a new stadium.  If the state decides to relocate the warehouse, then I'd guess the plans for a new park would start to move along quickly.

This is an older article, but the plans are for a stadium "substantially similar in size, quality, programming, and amenities" to the ballparks in Charlotte, NC and Allentown, PA, both of which are AAA ballparks.  So if it gets built, it sounds like it would accommodate a AAA team.

http://wtvr.com/2016/10/17/flying-squirrels-vcu-agree-to-new-deal-that-moves-city-closer-to-new-ballpark/

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #153: February 04, 2018, 05:48:45 PM »
Wouldn't boston have to give a waiver if another team wants to move to pawtucket? I think it's inside of Boston's home territory

What's the distance limit?

The Blue Jays AA team is in Manchester, NH.  It's about 50 miles from Boston, give or take.

I wonder if teams don't care too much unless it's a rival.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #154: February 04, 2018, 05:58:08 PM »
What's the distance limit?

The Blue Jays AA team is in Manchester, NH.  It's about 50 miles from Boston, give or take.

I wonder if teams don't care too much unless it's a rival.
Around Baltimore it's like 500 miles.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155: July 26, 2018, 12:22:17 PM »
Is there any word on what the Nats are going to do for their AAA affiliate next season...

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #156: July 26, 2018, 12:24:54 PM »
Is there any word on what the Nats are going to do for their AAA affiliate next season...

Baltimore might be available. :)

They've been very quiet on this, haven't they.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #157: July 26, 2018, 12:36:44 PM »
Usually the team that doesn't have a chair when the music stops gets Las Vegas right? And that's even more convenient since the Mets have Vegas now.

Looks like they might be able to get to Nashville if they convince the A's to move to Vegas.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #158: July 26, 2018, 01:13:51 PM »

Teams aren't allowed to negotiate with potential affiliates till after the AAA season ends, and there's even a little cushion time in there where only the incumbent can negotiate with the potential affiliate. So unless the Nats go buy a AAA team of their own, we won't have meaningful information until mid/late September.

Vegas is getting a brand new, taxpayer-funded stadium which may make the 51's more attractive to someone who is not us. It's supposed to be REALLY nice.

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #159: August 01, 2018, 09:53:11 PM »

Pretty much down to Nashville, Vegas and Fresno.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #160: August 02, 2018, 12:45:25 AM »
Teams aren't allowed to negotiate with potential affiliates till after the AAA season ends, and there's even a little cushion time in there where only the incumbent can negotiate with the potential affiliate. So unless the Nats go buy a AAA team of their own, we won't have meaningful information until mid/late September.

Vegas is getting a brand new, taxpayer-funded stadium which may make the 51's more attractive to someone who is not us. It's supposed to be REALLY nice.

They also won't be called the 51s anymore, but the buzz I've heard about the stadium is the same. That said, the one in Nashville is pretty nice too and it's a heck of a lot closer. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161: August 02, 2018, 08:45:34 AM »
3 way swap of Mets to Syracuse, Nats to Nashville, and As to Vegas makes so much sense.  Where is our 3 way expert, Cope?

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #162: August 02, 2018, 09:26:10 AM »
The A's are the x-factor.  They could re-up with Nashville at any time.  If they make it to the open negotiation window, I expect Vegas will push hard for them (LV is said to want a West Coast team after years with the Blue Jays and Mets, and the A's are the only realistic fit in that scenario).  I'm sure there's already been some under-the-table contact with Vegas reaching out and recruiting Oakland.  But Oakland staying with Nashville is still a possibility if the relationship is solid.  They may be wary of the terrible pitching environment in Vegas, and they've already spurned Fresno once, so no reason to expect they've changed their minds this time around.

With the Twins and Rochester re-upping yesterday, the International League is locked out (only Syracuse and Scranton remained unsigned).  Cross your fingers for Nashville...

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #163: August 02, 2018, 09:49:41 AM »
I personally wouldn't mind if they ended up in the PCL. They'd come through Omaha and I could go see them play for a change.
This is still where I stand on things. Nashville please.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #164: August 02, 2018, 03:21:18 PM »
The A's are the x-factor.  They could re-up with Nashville at any time.  If they make it to the open negotiation window, I expect Vegas will push hard for them (LV is said to want a West Coast team after years with the Blue Jays and Mets, and the A's are the only realistic fit in that scenario).  I'm sure there's already been some under-the-table contact with Vegas reaching out and recruiting Oakland.  But Oakland staying with Nashville is still a possibility if the relationship is solid.  They may be wary of the terrible pitching environment in Vegas, and they've already spurned Fresno once, so no reason to expect they've changed their minds this time around.

With the Twins and Rochester re-upping yesterday, the International League is locked out (only Syracuse and Scranton remained unsigned).  Cross your fingers for Nashville...

There's an x-factor with the x-factor, though: any association with Las Vegas is not a popular one in Oakland.  The A's are making a real push to become the sports identity of the entire east side of the Bay (with the Warriors moving to SF and the alluded-to Raiders departure).  Anecdotally, the fans I've talked to at a few A's games this season HATE the idea of any association with Las Vegas.  That's anecdotal of course and I'm sure many people don't care, but ownership is trying really hard to win an emotional connection with people and any association with Vegas isn't going to help.  And if they want a team that's nearby, Fresno is a lot closer than Vegas.  In short, I would not be surprised to see them stay in Nashville.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #165: August 02, 2018, 04:54:48 PM »
There's an x-factor with the x-factor, though: any association with Las Vegas is not a popular one in Oakland.  The A's are making a real push to become the sports identity of the entire east side of the Bay (with the Warriors moving to SF and the alluded-to Raiders departure).  Anecdotally, the fans I've talked to at a few A's games this season HATE the idea of any association with Las Vegas.  That's anecdotal of course and I'm sure many people don't care, but ownership is trying really hard to win an emotional connection with people and any association with Vegas isn't going to help.  And if they want a team that's nearby, Fresno is a lot closer than Vegas.  In short, I would not be surprised to see them stay in Nashville.
Fresno is an Astros affiliate?  They wouldn't mind Vegas as much.  So, logic would say As to Fresno, Houston to Vegas, Nats to Nashville, and Mets to Syracuse.  That may be the fewest air miles from MLB to AAA affiliates for those 4 teams.

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #166: August 02, 2018, 06:30:54 PM »
Fresno is an Astros affiliate?  They wouldn't mind Vegas as much.  So, logic would say As to Fresno, Houston to Vegas, Nats to Nashville, and Mets to Syracuse.  That may be the fewest air miles from MLB to AAA affiliates for those 4 teams.

The Astros are most likely taking Round Rock, Texas, currently the Rangers' affiliate.  The then-displaced Rangers are probably headed to San Antonio to contract with the relocated Colorado Springs team (currently the Brewers affiliate).  Those are moves that can't be made official until next month (just like the Mets to Syracuse), but there's a high probability that they'll happen. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #167: August 02, 2018, 10:21:59 PM »
The Astros are most likely taking Round Rock, Texas, currently the Rangers' affiliate.  The then-displaced Rangers are probably headed to San Antonio to contract with the relocated Colorado Springs team (currently the Brewers affiliate).  Those are moves that can't be made official until next month (just like the Mets to Syracuse), but there's a high probability that they'll happen. 
so you are saying the Brewers will also be looking at Nashville if the As move to Fresno?

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #168: August 03, 2018, 08:23:19 AM »
so you are saying the Brewers will also be looking at Nashville if the As move to Fresno?

I think that would be their preference, but there's some bad history there.  The Brewers were in Nashville for a decade.  They stuck with Nashville despite a pretty crummy stadium/player facilities.  Just as the new stadium was about to open, Nashville dumped the Brewers in favor of the A's.  It was a somewhat nasty split, so there may be some lingering bad blood that prevents a reunion.  That's good news for the Nationals if the A's don't renew.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/nashville-decision-leaves-brewers-scrambling-for-top-affiliate-b99353088z1-275544751.html/

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #169: August 03, 2018, 11:44:06 AM »
Unless Nashville considers Nationals ownership, which has the reputation of being... demanding.

I think that would be their preference, but there's some bad history there.  The Brewers were in Nashville for a decade.  They stuck with Nashville despite a pretty crummy stadium/player facilities.  Just as the new stadium was about to open, Nashville dumped the Brewers in favor of the A's.  It was a somewhat nasty split, so there may be some lingering bad blood that prevents a reunion.  That's good news for the Nationals if the A's don't renew.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/nashville-decision-leaves-brewers-scrambling-for-top-affiliate-b99353088z1-275544751.html/

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #170: August 03, 2018, 12:58:28 PM »
Unless Nashville considers Nationals ownership, which has the reputation of being... demanding.

They’ve put up with the pnats having the worst facilities in professional baseball

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #171: August 03, 2018, 01:02:01 PM »
Nashville would be amazing. Y'all could come see our turd prospects in AAA and hang out with me :stir:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #172: August 03, 2018, 01:02:58 PM »
Spare parts, not prospects. You could tell us how our spare parts are doing.

Nashville would be amazing. Y'all could come see our turd prospects in AAA and hang out with me :stir:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #173: August 03, 2018, 01:03:41 PM »
Demanding might not have been the exact word I was looking for.

They’ve put up with the pnats having the worst facilities in professional baseball

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #174: August 22, 2018, 04:01:44 PM »
After buying out the Nats AAA franchise, the Mets are demanding $25 million from Syracuse or else they'll move.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2018/08/22/14033/mets-buy-minor-league-team-from-community-owners-immediately-demand-25m-in-stadium-cash-from-community/