Author Topic: Nationals vs Cubs, NLDS Game 1  (Read 38257 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Nationals vs Cubs, NLDS Game 1
« Reply #550: October 06, 2017, 11:34:27 PM »

Let’s look at the bright side guys, Indians / Astros will be one GREAT World Series.

:hang: Dear God, no matter how long I read this forum I'm always amazed at how many baseball idiots we have here that know as much about baseball as a 6 year old. Some of the crap I've read here tonight is just embarrassing.

Scraps

« Reply #551: October 06, 2017, 11:38:00 PM »
Indians Astros can’t be the World Series. But I’m sure you know tons about baseball.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: oh yeah, the Astros are in the AL now. I’m still living in the 80’s sorry. 😜

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #552: October 06, 2017, 11:57:17 PM »
Offense let us down.

Scraps

« Reply #553: October 06, 2017, 11:58:58 PM »

:hang: Dear God, no matter how long I read this forum I'm always amazed at how many baseball idiots we have here that know as much about baseball as a 6 year old. Some of the crap I've read here tonight is just embarrassing.

Looks like Dusty Baker is ready to join this forum as well. Out managed again wasn’t even close. He backed this club into the Playoffs and has committed to pitching Gio in game 2. What a joke

There’s been a schedule change, our Nationals will be playing at Doral on Wednesday.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #554: October 07, 2017, 12:02:11 AM »
I know this is crazy, but is it possible that Hendricks pitched a really good game? I mean it’s not like the guy was the ERA leader last year, and been the Cubs best pitcher over the second half of the season.
If the Nats do nothing against Lester, we can talk, but come on people....

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #555: October 07, 2017, 12:02:56 AM »
Looks like Dusty Baker is ready to join this forum as well. Out managed again wasn’t even close. He backed this club into the Playoffs and has committed to pitching Gio in game 2. What a joke

There’s been a schedule change, our Nationals will be playing at Doral on Wednesday.

I don’t think anyone has ever confused spider with Dusty Baker.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #556: October 07, 2017, 12:04:56 AM »
I know this is crazy, but is it possible that Hendricks pitched a really good game? I mean it’s not like the guy was the ERA leader last year, and been the Cubs best pitcher over the second half of the season.

Tomorrow:

"I know it's crazy, but is it possible that Lester pitched a really good game? I mean it's not like the guy has won three World Series, and has a track record of success in the post season.

If the Nats do nothing against Quintana, we can talk, but come on people..."

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #557: October 07, 2017, 12:19:26 AM »
You realize that these pitchers carried the Cubs to a World Series last year right?  Some of you people seem to be forgetting that very minor detail.

As long as you have your excuses ready.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #558: October 07, 2017, 12:19:59 AM »
I don’t think anyone has ever confused spider with Dusty Baker.

:lmao:  Is that what he meant? The idea that they lost today because Baker was out managed is beyond asinine. Some people have their minds made up about Baker and go with it because they think it makes them sound knowledgeable.

It's a bit of both. People can't fathom a pitcher who isn't a flame thrower being a quality pitcher. He had them off balance all night and, let's face it, the Nats have not looked good for a while and today was just a continuation of it. Let's hope they find the toggle switch for tomorrow's game because tomorrow is a must win. If they win then we have a series.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #559: October 07, 2017, 04:46:57 AM »
Agree - how about leaving the hateful comments off this thread for tonight's game.

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #560: October 07, 2017, 06:35:02 AM »

He's also got a 0.39 ERA over his last 4 playoff starts. The guy is a really good pitcher. We made it easier on him by not having Lind and Kendrick in the lineup.

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #561: October 07, 2017, 06:45:03 AM »
The key to tonight may be whether or not the manager sticks with his bad lineup or at least tries something different. I already posted my desired lineup earlier, but I wouldn't be surprised If he just does this:

Turner
Werth
Harper
Zimmerman
Murphy
Rendon
Wieters
Taylor

I have no faith that he'll have the guts or brains to bat Taylor higher than 8th or bench Werth.

Scraps

« Reply #562: October 07, 2017, 08:11:30 AM »

:lmao:  Is that what he meant? The idea that they lost today because Baker was out managed is beyond asinine. Some people have their minds made up about Baker and go with it because they think it makes them sound knowledgeable.

It's a bit of both. People can't fathom a pitcher who isn't a flame thrower being a quality pitcher. He had them off balance all night and, let's face it, the Nats have not looked good for a while and today was just a continuation of it. Let's hope they find the toggle switch for tomorrow's game because tomorrow is a must win. If they win then we have a series.
Baker loss last nights game in the month of September. But I wouldn’t expect you to see that.

Everyone knows what Hendricks is capable of doing but of course, Baker has never had an answer, plan, or counterpunch to anything out of the norm “especially  in the Post Season” when it matters most.

Trea Turner is a good looking player however, his long loose swing is a recipe for disaster against a guy like Hendricks. Most think a short compact stroke is only needed versus flame throwers yet the truth is, it is even more important versus guys like Hendricks who  changes speeds and mixes it up so well. Turner, Zimmerman, Wieters, Taylor, all long swings in the lineup versus Hendricks. I didn’t feel good about yesterday’s game long before it started. I knew Strasburg would have to be perfect and he “almost” was.

Let’s hope Gio can “throw the switch” and revert back to mid season form today to keep us in this thing. If not, we can blame it all on injuries again and make tee times at Doral  with the rest of our baseball hero’s.

Please lord give Gio the strength to .............  :rites: :pray:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #563: October 07, 2017, 09:09:10 AM »

Rusty sounded like a broken man in the postgame presser...

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/?c_id=was&sv=1

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #564: October 07, 2017, 09:15:48 AM »
The key to tonight may be whether or not the manager sticks with his bad lineup or at least tries something different. I already posted my desired lineup earlier, but I wouldn't be surprised If he just does this:

Turner
Werth
Harper
Zimmerman
Murphy
Rendon
Wieters
Taylor

I have no faith that he'll have the guts or brains to bat Taylor higher than 8th or bench Werth.

The entire lineup didn’t hit and you are quibbling about 7-8. Some managers actually do put the better batter eigth. Make us more likely to turn the lineup over. Which is exactly what Taylor did in the third. “Guts or brains?” That’s absurd.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #565: October 07, 2017, 09:18:55 AM »
Baker loss last nights game in the month of September. But I wouldn’t expect you to see that.

Everyone knows what Hendricks is capable of doing but of course, Baker has never had an answer, plan, or counterpunch to anything out of the norm “especially  in the Post Season” when it matters most.

Trea Turner is a good looking player however, his long loose swing is a recipe for disaster against a guy like Hendricks. Most think a short compact stroke is only needed versus flame throwers yet the truth is, it is even more important versus guys like Hendricks who  changes speeds and mixes it up so well. Turner, Zimmerman, Wieters, Taylor, all long swings in the lineup versus Hendricks. I didn’t feel good about yesterday’s game long before it started. I knew Strasburg would have to be perfect and he “almost” was.

Let’s hope Gio can “throw the switch” and revert back to mid season form today to keep us in this thing. If not, we can blame it all on injuries again and make tee times at Doral  with the rest of our baseball hero’s.

Please lord give Gio the strength to .............  :rites: :pray:

Even if you are right, what would you have them do. Change everyone’s swing mechanics for this one game? Bench Turner, Zim and Taylor? Come on..
The guys didn’t hit. That isn’t on Dusty

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #566: October 07, 2017, 09:34:29 AM »
Agree - good pitching beat good hitting.  Since Lester is a lefty, we won't see Lind in the starting lineup

Even if you are right, what would you have them do. Change everyone’s swing mechanics for this one game? Bench Turner, Zim and Taylor? Come on..

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #567: October 07, 2017, 09:57:10 AM »
I have an exhausted angry six year old now because I decided she was old enough to stay up for a playoff game

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #568: October 07, 2017, 10:02:22 AM »

Ray Knight analyzed Hendricks in the post game MASN show. He throws 85 mph, mostly pitches outside and the ball comes in low and sinks. Ray demonstrated that you counter this by stepping closer to the plate and more towards the front of the plate, so you swing early while the ball is still up, and won't be so far outside. (Ryan Zimmerman, I'm looking at you, Mister 0 for 4. Zim gave a nice post-game compliment to Hendricks, since he was clueless about how to beat him.)

With the assistant batting coarch Jacques-Post-Your-Ex-Nude-Pic suspended, just put Ray Knight in the dugout temporarily. i'd rather win than have zero game plan and just lose and lose.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #569: October 07, 2017, 10:17:28 AM »

Stras threw shade on the fans after the game.  WTF did he expect?

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/?c_id=was&sv=1

Brutal...

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #570: October 07, 2017, 10:27:02 AM »
Ray Knight analyzed Hendricks in the post game MASN show. He throws 85 mph, mostly pitches outside and the ball comes in low and sinks. Ray demonstrated that you counter this by stepping closer to the plate and more towards the front of the plate, so you swing early while the ball is still up, and won't be so far outside. (Ryan Zimmerman, I'm looking at you, Mister 0 for 4. Zim gave a nice post-game compliment to Hendricks, since he was clueless about how to beat him.)

With the assistant batting coarch Jacques-Post-Your-Ex-Nude-Pic suspended, just put Ray Knight in the dugout temporarily. i'd rather win than have zero game plan and just lose and lose.

(Image removed from quote.)

I guess the entire league isn't able to figure out this simple fix given Kendricks success.  Sigh....

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #571: October 07, 2017, 10:37:02 AM »
At least that crapshow didn’t last 4 hours.

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #572: October 07, 2017, 10:40:57 AM »
The entire lineup didn’t hit and you are quibbling about 7-8. Some managers actually do put the better batter eigth. Make us more likely to turn the lineup over. Which is exactly what Taylor did in the third. “Guts or brains?” That’s absurd.

No, I'm quibbling with batting Taylor 8th, having Werth in the lineup, not using our best pinch hitter in any capacity, and watching the manager sit on his thumbs looking as confused as ever all night long. With a lefty pitching we should absolutely have Difo and Kendrick in the lineup with Lind ready to pinch hit at a moments notice. I would argue for Robles in the lineup as well. If I'm setting today's lineup Lind is in and it's:

Turner - SS
Difo - 2B
Rendon - 3B
Lind - 1B
Kendrick - LF
Taylor - CF
Robles - RF
Gaping Hole - C

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #573: October 07, 2017, 10:41:16 AM »
10/12/12 was the last time I believed.
Maybe a human sacrifice to end the curse. My nominee is Drew Storen

Offline spidernat

« Reply #574: October 07, 2017, 11:07:39 AM »

:crackup: