Author Topic: 2018 Spring Training - Ballpark of the Palm Beaches  (Read 12189 times)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
2018 Spring Training

Home game schedule is out...3 straight home games March 15-17 is awesome...

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
It would be quite ironic if the Astros & Nats meet in the World Series this year

2018 Spring Training

Home game schedule is out...3 straight home games March 15-17 is awesome...

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline dcpatti

It would be quite ironic if the Astros & Nats meet in the World Series this year

That’s the Circle of Life.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Is the Ballpark of the Palm Beaches anywhere near the airport and accommodations near the ballpark? [Charter Nats STH who has never been to spring training]

Offline 3bside

The ballpark is about a 15-20 minute drive from the airport.  There are Hampton Inn-type places at the exit from the highway for the ballpark, which are about a mile from the ballpark, but there's nothing to do in that area.  There are also hotels in downtown WPB next to the City Walk area, which is about 10 minutes by car from the ballpark.

Offline OldChelsea

The ballpark is about a 15-20 minute drive from the airport.  There are Hampton Inn-type places at the exit from the highway for the ballpark, which are about a mile from the ballpark, but there's nothing to do in that area.  There are also hotels in downtown WPB next to the City Walk area, which is about 10 minutes by car from the ballpark.

Good to know since I don't drive - think I'll stick to Charlie and Dave for the Grapefruit League season.

Offline dcpatti

Good to know since I don't drive - think I'll stick to Charlie and Dave for the Grapefruit League season.

We had no problem using Uber and Lyft between the hotel (the aforementioned Hampton Inn) and the ballpark. Never waited more than about 5 minutes for pickup and the fares were pretty low. You could probably stay closer to City Walk and still uber/lyft back and forth with no problems. Since most games were day games, we didn't feel pressed to find a lot of other stuff to do--- get some dinner (or have it delivered) and enjoy mindless TV and air conditioning.

For road games, there is a Marriott Courtyard right across the street from Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter where the Marlins and Cards play. Bring cash since some of the stadium vendors don't take card and the single ATM is always broken. It's a fair bit harder to get around Port St Lucie (Mets) without a car; Lyft/Uber and traditional taxi coverage is fairly light and the nearest hotel to the ballpark is about 30 minutes walking in the Florida roasting sun.

Offline OldChelsea

We had no problem using Uber and Lyft between the hotel (the aforementioned Hampton Inn) and the ballpark. Never waited more than about 5 minutes for pickup and the fares were pretty low. You could probably stay closer to City Walk and still uber/lyft back and forth with no problems[...]

What about regular taxis? (Uber/Lyft aren't options for me since I am not owned by a smartphone.)

Not looking promising - would love to check out Nats spring training (having caught many such matches on the radio it sounds like a great way to ease into the season) but Europe is oh-so-much cheaper, safer and more accessible.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
What about regular taxis? (Uber/Lyft aren't options for me since I am not owned by a smartphone.)

Not looking promising - would love to check out Nats spring training (having caught many such matches on the radio it sounds like a great way to ease into the season) but Europe is oh-so-much cheaper, safer and more accessible.

http://www.yellowwpb.com/

Offline dcpatti

There aren't usually roaming taxis like you'd see in a bigger city but you can call for dispatch service. Reliability can depend on the company; hotel front desk should be able to recommend a good one. Our hotel in Port St Lucie had a deal with a local car service that they offered without being asked (we declined since we had a local friend to chauffeur us around). 

Central Florida in March is East England since airfares/hotels are cheaper (kids still in school) and weather is better.

Offline OldChelsea

Offline LightningMcQueen

As frustrating as another early playoff exit is, let's be thankful baseball will be back next year. Looks like the Nationals (and the Astros) home spring schedule has been released. Get those travel arrangements ready. Nats are the "road team" on 2/23 to open the Spring against Houston.

We are just 121 days until then!

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/573c622e044262e8c97bb7ec/t/59d3b025a9db099b83e5bc1e/1507045414785/2018+Spring+Training+Schedule+Home+Dates+only.pdf

Scraps

Anyone know if  Arizona Fall League games will be televised on the MLB network or if i can get the games online somehow? I’m not having much success in my research.

:punch:

Sorry for  hijacking your thread with just the second post.  :hammer:

Offline dcpatti

As frustrating as another early playoff exit is, let's be thankful baseball will be back next year. Looks like the Nationals (and the Astros) home spring schedule has been released. Get those travel arrangements ready. Nats are the "road team" on 2/23 to open the Spring against Houston.

We are just 121 days until then!

(Image removed from quote.)

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/573c622e044262e8c97bb7ec/t/59d3b025a9db099b83e5bc1e/1507045414785/2018+Spring+Training+Schedule+Home+Dates+only.pdf

Any recommendations on hotels? We stayed at the Hampton Inn about 10 minutes from the ballpark and it was a nice, comfy hotel but the neighborhood was pretty lame, not a lot of dining/drinking options nearby.  I hear there’s a “downtown” ish area in West Palm that at least has some little shops and bars but when I look stuff up, it all seems  meh.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
We'll be there the 11th-17th. Well, in Florida. We'll be in West Palm 15th-17th. Woot!

Offline LoveAngelos

Any recommendations on hotels? We stayed at the Hampton Inn about 10 minutes from the ballpark and it was a nice, comfy hotel but the neighborhood was pretty lame, not a lot of dining/drinking options nearby.  I hear there’s a “downtown” ish area in West Palm that at least has some little shops and bars but when I look stuff up, it all seems  meh.

dcpatti, And anyone else wondering. Stay in Jupiter. Much nicer area without the Palm Beach price tag. Only 20 minutes away from West Palm and you can catch Nats Cards games there

Offline dcpatti

dcpatti, And anyone else wondering. Stay in Jupiter. Much nicer area without the Palm Beach price tag. Only 20 minutes away from West Palm and you can catch Nats Cards games there

Not a fan of Roger Dean Stadium (although you can’t beat the convenience of having a Marriott Courtyard right across the street). I’d rather stay closer to WPB and catch 2-3 games there before heading to Lakeland for Nats at Tigers.

Luckily, I have a small mountain of hotel points for 3 different brands so I have a ton of flexibility without having to fixate on costs.

Offline LightningMcQueen

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on Kyoto Gardens Drive - It was about a 15 minute drive from the hotel to the ballpark, although while we were down there, President Trump came for the weekend and the direct route to the ballpark was canceled and we had to take a long way. It was nice, City Place is the big thing around there, shops, restaurants, bars, etc. - It's fine, but I come from Buffalo, where the bar scene is like no other. I never went to Vierra, but have to imagine WPB is better?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Mods may want to merge this thread with this one:  http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=35900.0

Offline LoveAngelos

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on Kyoto Gardens Drive - It was about a 15 minute drive from the hotel to the ballpark, although while we were down there, President Trump came for the weekend and the direct route to the ballpark was canceled and we had to take a long way. It was nice, City Place is the big thing around there, shops, restaurants, bars, etc. - It's fine, but I come from Buffalo, where the bar scene is like no other. I never went to Vierra, but have to imagine WPB is better?

No, for me Viera was much better when you consider the close beach towns of Coco Beach, Melbourne ect. WPB or PB has downtown (with full contact parking) entertainment area but that is about it. The rest of the establishments are for those who arrive nightly in $200,000  plus autos.....PB does have public access to the beach but they have done a good job hiding the public access entrances

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Suggest a WNFF WPB meet and greet on Saturday, March 17th...St. Patrick's Day...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Suggest a WNFF WPB meet and greet on Saturday, March 17th...St. Patrick's Day...

Do they have long neck geese around the ballpark?  I'm guessing you could find green alligators.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Do they have long neck geese around the ballpark?  I'm guessing you could find green alligators.

Sadly no unicorns...

Offline GburgNatsFan

We'll be there. Those emerald green trimmed unis are great looking.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Agreed. We will still spend half of our week in Cocoa Beach.

No, for me Viera was much better when you consider the close beach towns of Coco Beach, Melbourne ect. WPB or PB has downtown (with full contact parking) entertainment area but that is about it. The rest of the establishments are for those who arrive nightly in $200,000  plus autos.....PB does have public access to the beach but they have done a good job hiding the public access entrances