Author Topic: Braves implosion!  (Read 5921 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Braves implosion!
« Reply #75: November 30, 2017, 10:09:44 PM »
The sad part is, I think the browns are trying.

Whoever hired Sashi "Moneyball" Brown is not trying.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #76: December 01, 2017, 11:05:44 AM »
great stuff, Bluestreak, Knorr, and Halfsmokes.  I hadn't thought of things the way Bluestreak put it before his post.  And I agree, in terms of parity, NFL is probably tops. It's seem to have been a specific goal of the league to have parity.  The downside is it makes for some pretty boring 6-10 to 10-6 teams.  Those seem to cycle through up and down, depending on injuries and strength of schedule.  There are a few good regimes, like Kraft / Belichik and Pittsburgh, that seem to be able to maintain above that level for a long period, but that's where having Brady / Rodgers / Rothlisberger or some stud defenders like Reed / Suggs / Lewis can give you the core to maintain that level.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #77: December 01, 2017, 11:22:34 AM »
There are a few good regimes, like Kraft / Belichik and Pittsburgh, that seem to be able to maintain above that level for a long period, but that's where having Brady / Rodgers / Rothlisberger or some stud defenders like Reed / Suggs / Lewis can give you the core to maintain that level.

To me that’s saying there are no dynasties except the dynasty. The patriots have 5 titles in 15 years. During that run, Pittsburgh has two and so do the giants- three teams accounting for over half of the titles in a 15 year period isn’t parity. Put another way, should a Browns, chargers, jets, bills, redskins, Jaguars, fan have anymore hope than a pirates, padres, Rockies fan?

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #78: December 01, 2017, 01:25:58 PM »
To me that’s saying there are no dynasties except the dynasty. The patriots have 5 titles in 15 years. During that run, Pittsburgh has two and so do the giants- three teams accounting for over half of the titles in a 15 year period isn’t parity. Put another way, should a Browns, chargers, jets, bills, redskins, Jaguars, fan have anymore hope than a pirates, padres, Rockies fan?

During this century, the Bucs, Saints, Seahawks, and Colts saw a stunning reversal of fortunes despite the dominance of the Patriots/Steelers/Giants.  The Eagles, Cardinals, and Panthers also came within a hair of winning their first Super Bowls.

So yeah, if I'm a fan of a bad NFL team, I have pretty good reason to believe my franchise can turn things around.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #79: December 01, 2017, 03:21:19 PM »
So yeah, if I'm a fan of a bad NFL team, I have pretty good reason to believe my franchise can turn things around.

This will surely hearten Redskins fans everywhere. Right up until they take a run at the football Lucy is holding.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #80: December 01, 2017, 03:58:17 PM »
This will surely hearten Redskins fans everywhere. Right up until they take a run at the football Lucy is holding.

The Redskins are screwed until Danny Boy croaks.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #81: December 01, 2017, 04:06:30 PM »
The Redskins are screwed until Danny Boy croaks.

Hey, I don't think it's time to throw in the towel and await death.....

There's every possibility he might get crippling dementia, or have a massive stroke.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82: December 01, 2017, 04:17:08 PM »
During this century, the Bucs, Saints, Seahawks, and Colts saw a stunning reversal of fortunes despite the dominance of the Patriots/Steelers/Giants.  The Eagles, Cardinals, and Panthers also came within a hair of winning their first Super Bowls.

heck, even during the so-called Patriot dynasty, they've never won a Super Bowl by more than one score, won 2 on last play field goals, one on a goal-line interception, and another in over-time.  The Eagles was the relatively easy one, only because McNabb is puking  on the last drive.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83: December 01, 2017, 04:36:30 PM »
I think you have to look at more than who wins the championship. We were able to predict all 6 division winners prior to the season. And next season we will be able to predict again, outside of the AL east. There is nothing close to this in the NFL.
On the other hand prior to last season you could predict the actual matchup in the championship round in the NBA. That is lack of parity.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #84: December 01, 2017, 04:44:04 PM »
I think you have to look at more than who wins the championship. We were able to predict all 6 division winners prior to the season. And next season we will be able to predict again, outside of the AL east. There is nothing close to this in the NFL.
On the other hand prior to last season you could predict the actual matchup in the championship round in the NBA. That is lack of parity.

While the last two Stanley Cups may have gone to the Pittsburgh Pinguins, I'd venture that the NHL has the most parity amongst the Big 4 Professional sports. 

A big part of that is that 16 of 30...now 31...teams qualify for the postseason...and the NHL has a hard cap and no max salary...

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #85: December 01, 2017, 04:44:36 PM »

Would you be willing to bet on anyone other than the patriots in the afc east?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86: December 01, 2017, 04:47:25 PM »
Would you be willing to bet on anyone other than the patriots in the afc east?

Absolutely not. But you could have probably gotten me to bet that the Jags, Rams, Saints,  Eagles and Vikings would finish last in their divisions.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #87: December 01, 2017, 05:04:24 PM »
Absolutely not. But you could have probably gotten me to bet that the Jags, Rams, Saints,  Eagles and Vikings would finish last in their divisions.

Uh...the Bears are in the same division as the Vikings...

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #88: December 02, 2017, 12:49:02 PM »
While the last two Stanley Cups may have gone to the Pittsburgh Pinguins, I'd venture that the NHL has the most parity amongst the Big 4 Professional sports. 

A big part of that is that 16 of 30...now 31...teams qualify for the postseason...and the NHL has a hard cap and no max salary...

Same for the NBA but they have a lack of parity to the point of being insipid.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #89: December 02, 2017, 01:07:29 PM »

The NHL has a hard cap and no max salary...

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #90: December 02, 2017, 01:26:30 PM »

The east has parity plus lebron; I don’t know what a league can do when one player is capable of leading a team to the finals

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91: December 02, 2017, 01:57:11 PM »
The east has parity plus lebron; I don’t know what a league can do when one player is capable of leading a team to the finals
trade kyrie irving to make a challenger.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92: December 05, 2017, 01:16:33 PM »
Kevin Maitan signs with Angels for $2.2 million signing bonus. Nats not having any international signing money wasn’t a great situation.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #93: December 05, 2017, 01:45:52 PM »
Kevin Maitan signs with Angels for $2.2 million signing bonus. Nats not having any international signing money wasn’t a great situation.
They signed him with 2018 money. The Angels do have 2017 money left, but it's earmarked for Ohtani.
Source: https://twitter.com/JeffFletcherOCR/status/938114192644517888

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #94: December 05, 2017, 01:56:04 PM »
Seems like a severe overpay given current scouting reports, but good for the kid for getting another payday.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #95: December 05, 2017, 02:00:53 PM »

This is the kid the Braves lost, right?  I thought he was simply declared a free agent?

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #96: December 05, 2017, 03:20:24 PM »

Eh, I don't recall the Nats pursuing him the first time around; no need to make a fuss the second time around. There are sooooo many prospects. Can't try for them all.

This is the kid the Braves lost, right?  I thought he was simply declared a free agent?

He basically gets his International free agent status reinstated, rather than converting to a regular free agent.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #97: December 05, 2017, 11:58:08 PM »

Not saying the league can or should do anything, but it's still a lack of parity.  I don't even have that much of a fondness for basketball and barely follow it, yet I predicted last year's NBA Finals before the start of the season.  I couldn't reliably do that with the MLB or NFL if you paid me.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #98: December 06, 2017, 08:01:08 AM »
That’s why it’s hard to follow the nba as a fan unless you live in a handful (maybe 3 max) of cities- otherwise you know your team is out of it before the season even stats and you likely know that nothing is going to change in at least the next few seasons. But basketball has always been about super star teams- the bulls and Lakers/Celtics were the league at its height 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #99: December 06, 2017, 09:27:42 AM »
That’s why it’s hard to follow the nba as a fan unless you live in a handful (maybe 3 max) of cities- otherwise you know your team is out of it before the season even stats and you likely know that nothing is going to change in at least the next few seasons. But basketball has always been about super star teams- the bulls and Lakers/Celtics were the league at its height
Like the Sixers. They just set a record for season ticket sales.

Teams are competitive for making the playoffs.  Really more so than MLB. As you say they just have no shot at a championship or even the finals.