Author Topic: Beating the Cubs  (Read 32005 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Beating the Cubs
« Reply #225: October 07, 2017, 03:11:46 PM »
Hey guys, trying to tread lightly here but wanted to get your perspective on Hendricks. It seems like no matter how well he does he doesnt really strike fear into opposing fans. And actually to be honest, many in his own fan base tend to discount him. Earlier in this thread when discussing the rotation his name wasn't brought up. Did his start yesterday change the perception at all? Are you at all scared at the possibility of facing Hendricks in game 5?  It seems like the most respect that is given to him is "yeah he's really good but we can probably get to him"

For the record I'm terrified at the thought of potentially facing Stras in game 5 after watching his performance last night.

I was surprised at how well he did.     You're right there was no fear pre-game but the Nats couldn't do anything with him.    BTW, I wouldn't worry if there's a Game 5.    Joe West'll probably be behind the plate and everybody will get jobbed.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #226: October 07, 2017, 04:25:40 PM »
I’ll just post this and let everyone here go insane.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1392554

It would solidify the point that the Learners are more interested in regular season revenue than postseason succes.

Online Slateman

« Reply #227: October 07, 2017, 04:26:53 PM »
Hey guys, trying to tread lightly here but wanted to get your perspective on Hendricks. It seems like no matter how well he does he doesnt really strike fear into opposing fans. And actually to be honest, many in his own fan base tend to discount him. Earlier in this thread when discussing the rotation his name wasn't brought up. Did his start yesterday change the perception at all? Are you at all scared at the possibility of facing Hendricks in game 5?  It seems like the most respect that is given to him is "yeah he's really good but we can probably get to him"

For the record I'm terrified at the thought of potentially facing Stras in game 5 after watching his performance last night.

Hedricks is what Roark was two years ago. The guy no one took seriously. The guy all the metrics say will come back to earth. He's a really good pitcher and will likely be one for a few more seasons.

Online Slateman

« Reply #228: October 07, 2017, 04:27:18 PM »
Yes. It's really on the line today.
It was on the line yesterday. The Nationals failed to get to the line.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #229: October 07, 2017, 04:56:24 PM »
I like Dusty.    What am I missin'?

The “if only we get a new manager we’ll win the World Series” argument. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #230: October 07, 2017, 04:57:32 PM »
The “if only we get a new manager we’ll win the World Series” argument. 

Ah, thanks imref.     :)     That's my sense of it as well  ...  once we get rid of Davey  ....  once we get rid of Matt   ....   once we get rid of Dusty   ....

Offline Ray D

« Reply #231: October 07, 2017, 05:03:35 PM »
We'll get the perfect post-season manager ....  and then won't make the playoffs.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #232: October 07, 2017, 06:10:27 PM »
Ah, thanks imref.     :)     That's my sense of it as well  ...  once we get rid of Davey  ....  once we get rid of Matt   ....   once we get rid of Dusty   ....

They had a fantastic backstory spot on dusty on the TBS pregame show. They followed him around to a bunch of his old haunts in Atlanta. And then the commentator lambasted the Nats for not extending him.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #233: October 07, 2017, 08:19:38 PM »
I think Turner could be the difference in this series. Lester and Arietta are horrible at holding runners and Turner can really do some damage...if he gets on base. That'll be the key.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #234: October 07, 2017, 11:11:33 PM »
This was a great win by Dusty today!!!

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #235: October 07, 2017, 11:25:07 PM »
I think we should wrap this up in 4 now.  Cubs have to be demoralized.

These are the world Champs. They aren’t just going to lie down...

Online Slateman

« Reply #236: October 07, 2017, 11:29:00 PM »

Dusty got bailed out. Lind should be starting. Turner shouldn't be hitting leadoff

Offline RiotAct

« Reply #237: October 07, 2017, 11:32:21 PM »
I think we should wrap this up in 4 now.  Cubs have to be demoralized.
I would be surprised if we won in 4.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #238: October 07, 2017, 11:35:54 PM »
Dusty got bailed out. Lind should be starting. Turner shouldn't be hitting leadoff

I don’t really think it was Dusty.  But I don’t think the loss yesterday was on Dusty either, so I figured I’d be consistent with the logic.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #239: October 07, 2017, 11:40:15 PM »
So the Cubs let Bryce Harper hit a home run against a righty and let Zimmerman hit a home run against a lefty. But Joe Maddon is a genius. 🤔

Online Slateman

« Reply #240: October 07, 2017, 11:43:52 PM »
So the Cubs let Bryce Harper hit a home run against a righty and let Zimmerman hit a home run against a lefty. But Joe Maddon is a genius. 🤔
:lmao:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #241: October 07, 2017, 11:46:00 PM »
Summed it up well. The managers getting too much blame or credit from some folks. You would hardly know they are real players. More like a chess board.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #242: October 08, 2017, 12:01:47 AM »

Well you tell me, Slate, since you think it’s on managers and not on players, what about my assessment is so laugh out loud stupid.

I just think managers don’t matter. You repeatedly fellate Maddon.

Online Slateman

« Reply #243: October 08, 2017, 12:34:55 AM »
Well you tell me, Slate, since you think it’s on managers and not on players, what about my assessment is so laugh out loud stupid.

I just think managers don’t matter. You repeatedly fellate Maddon.

Managers matter more in the playoffs than in the regular season. Or do you think it's just dumb luck that Dusty hasn't won a clinching game in his last 9 attempts?

Actually I think they are.  They already won last year.  They have nothing left to prove and might wanna go hit the beach.
They dominated this club for 16 innings. Pretty sure they haven't checked out.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #244: October 08, 2017, 12:53:35 AM »

Managers matter more in the playoffs than in the regular season. Or do you think it's just dumb luck that Dusty hasn't won a clinching game in his last 9 attempts?
They dominated this club for 16 innings. Pretty sure they haven't checked out.

Cubs won despite Maddon last year. He made tactical errors and was bailed out by his players. Errors that Dusty would have been excoriated for making. Players decide these games.

Online Slateman

« Reply #245: October 08, 2017, 12:54:28 AM »
I think much of that was due to our own incompetence which it appears has been fixed.

It's not as if the Cubs hitters are smoking the ball of our guys, they've barely made contact, save for a few key hits.
I don't. Pitchers had a plan and executed. Hitters had a plan and executed. 11 hits in two games.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #246: October 08, 2017, 09:50:24 AM »

Charlie Manuel won a World Series; so did the moron in KC.  There are many other examples of less than stellar managers winning.  You think Nats pitchers and hitters didn't have a game plan?  I am sure they did even if it wasn't working out.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #247: October 08, 2017, 11:56:38 AM »

exactly, if the loss was because he got out managed then the win should be because he out managed Maddon. but the morons here are just going to say that they won in spite of Baker. Dusty put his 70 year old balls on the table and served them dinner. And, while we're at it, Schu will provide something for them to wash down their Dusty testicle dinner.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #248: October 08, 2017, 11:57:31 AM »

exactly, if the loss was because he got out managed then the win should be because he out managed Maddon. but the morons here are just going to say that they won in spite of Baker. Dusty put his 70 year old balls on the table and served them dinner. And, while we're at it, Schu will provide something for them to wash down their Dusty testicle dinner.

Dusty ain't that old.    He's a kid.     :old:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #249: October 08, 2017, 11:57:31 AM »
Summed it up well. The managers getting too much blame or credit from some folks. You would hardly know they are real players. More like a chess board.

spot on Natsinpwc

this is a players' game