Author Topic: Beating the Cubs  (Read 31822 times)

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Re: Beating the Cubs
« Reply #75: September 28, 2017, 01:54:31 PM »
We felt pretty much the same way in 2014, too. We beat Madbum and were bested by a bunch of scrubs in the other games. I'll take no solace in facing struggling pitchers until we beat them.

Anything can happen, but our offense is light years better now.  Not even close.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #76: September 28, 2017, 01:58:35 PM »
I just spent a week in New England. There is no way that any area of the country can be more infested with fans of any team than New England is infested with Red Sox and Patriot fans.  And I'm related (by marriage) to a bunch of them.  (And I love them all!)

The Patriots didn't have any fans until about 15 years ago.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #77: September 28, 2017, 02:01:22 PM »
  It would be interesting if the DC area ever developed into such a rivalry with the Orioles.

I don't think it can ever happen with the teams in different leagues.  Red Sox and Yankees play each other 19 times and that goes a long way towards making a rivalry.  However, if the Senators had stayed around (either one) eventually it would have turned into a rivalry.  It never did back then because the Senators were so bad and the Orioles so good.  But it would have happened eventually.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #78: September 28, 2017, 02:02:32 PM »
The Patriots didn't have any fans until about 15 years ago.
The did have a couple brief flirtations with fame, once in the late 70s and once in the mid 80s.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #79: September 28, 2017, 02:12:14 PM »
The did have a couple brief flirtations with fame, once in the late 70s and once in the mid 80s.

I seem to recall one of those...  :mg:

Offline Demafrost

« Reply #80: September 28, 2017, 02:27:17 PM »

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #81: September 28, 2017, 02:35:31 PM »
The CFO of a F500 company I worked for in a former life played for that 80s Pats team.  Apparently CTE sometimes leads to MBA 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #82: September 28, 2017, 02:37:00 PM »
Opposing viewpoint of the series:

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1763

"Bryce Harper is very good but as a future Cub will suck in this series and blame it on rust coming back from the injury."

Sigh....

• babble on
« Reply #83: September 28, 2017, 02:49:20 PM »
That is dong swinging that would make Baghdad Bob blush. 
"Bryce Harper is very good but as a future Cub will suck in this series and blame it on rust coming back from the injury."

Sigh....

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #84: September 28, 2017, 02:51:06 PM »

"I know in a 5-game series it's the usual, "the team that takes game 1 usually wins it," but I think that's especially critical here. Not because they're in DC, but because this is a Dusty team; get them immediately on the ropes right away and encourage Dusty to be at his Dustiest as he panics as only Dusty can."

I mean ... they would know better than anyone.

"Ever been to Nationals park before? It's the least interesting stadium ever built. Somehow you're always facing the sun no matter where you sit.
"Many times; good food and beer selections, and that's about it. Figured out very early on that if you're not sitting down just past 3B you're getting sun-blasted. The whole RF/1B side of the stadium is basically hell when the sun is out."

:lmao:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #85: September 28, 2017, 03:15:41 PM »
"I know in a 5-game series it's the usual, "the team that takes game 1 usually wins it," but I think that's especially critical here. Not because they're in DC, but because this is a Dusty team; get them immediately on the ropes right away and encourage Dusty to be at his Dustiest as he panics as only Dusty can."

I mean ... they would know better than anyone.

"Ever been to Nationals park before? It's the least interesting stadium ever built. Somehow you're always facing the sun no matter where you sit.
"Many times; good food and beer selections, and that's about it. Figured out very early on that if you're not sitting down just past 3B you're getting sun-blasted. The whole RF/1B side of the stadium is basically hell when the sun is out."

The sun stuff is funny. Just because they play half their games in winter conditions no reason to be jealous.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #86: September 28, 2017, 03:22:57 PM »
The sun stuff is funny. Just because they play half their games in winter conditions a stadium that smells vaguely of piss and old mustard is no reason to be jealous.

ftfy.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #87: September 28, 2017, 03:29:37 PM »
ftfy.

Yeah, I love Wrigley Field but the charm of the place wears off quickly.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #88: September 28, 2017, 03:31:05 PM »
I was there once.  Never got the charm.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89: September 28, 2017, 03:35:14 PM »
LMAO at the boring stadium part. Wrigley is great to visit once, but it looks better on TV than it does to actually experience a game in. It's funny how Cub fans think that brick, ivy and an old scoreboard make up for the fact that their stadium is the baseball equivalent of a fraternity bro bar in West Lafayette that was built in 1974.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #90: September 28, 2017, 03:36:29 PM »

The seating areas were designed before  toasters were invented, and it shows. Screw your ivy and your rookie-killing brick wall. I would like to get to my seat without having to climb over 300  other people. That damn ballpark feels like it is allergic to aisles.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #91: September 28, 2017, 03:37:54 PM »
The seating areas were designed before  toasters were invented, and it shows. Screw your ivy and your rookie-killing brick wall. I would like to get to my seat without having to climb over 300  other people. That damn ballpark feels like it is allergic to aisles.

It's even worse than Fenway...and that's saying something...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92: September 28, 2017, 03:40:32 PM »

I do think it's funny that their board has a link to this thread in it. And now we have a link to theirs. I feel like maybe this will cause some type of singularity.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #93: September 28, 2017, 03:44:22 PM »
I do think it's funny that their board has a link to this thread in it. And now we have a link to theirs. I feel like maybe this will cause some type of singularity.

Rockies-Twins 2017 World Series confirmed.

• babble on
« Reply #94: September 28, 2017, 03:53:18 PM »
I do feel the no-catsup clause, but the rest of the Wrigleydom package is alien to me. 

• babble on
« Reply #95: September 28, 2017, 03:54:21 PM »
Trying to give Manfred a heart attack??
Rockies-Twins 2017 World Series confirmed.

Offline imref

« Reply #96: September 28, 2017, 03:58:16 PM »

it would have been a lot more entertaining if they hadn't won it all last year - we would have had two fan bases completely convinced that their playoff efforts are futile.

Offline imref

« Reply #97: September 28, 2017, 03:59:43 PM »

uh, that's pretty much spot-on accurate.  Ever been to an August day-time game at the park, and sat on the 1B side?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #98: September 28, 2017, 04:03:37 PM »
uh, that's pretty much spot-on accurate.  Ever been to an August day-time game at the park, and sat on the 1B side?

Slate doesn't go to games...there are other people there...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99: September 28, 2017, 04:05:21 PM »
What outdoor stadium isn't hot on the sunny side in August? And it literally take 30 seconds of googling to figure out which side is the sunny side. See I did it for Wrigley

http://www.wrigleyfieldnews.com/sun/august/