Author Topic: Beating the Cubs  (Read 31818 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Beating the Cubs
« Reply #50: September 28, 2017, 11:12:17 AM »
Cubs gave us some pretty great bulletin board material back in June. You can bet they'll be reminded if that.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-todd-ricketts-nationals-cubs-notes-spt-0629-20170628-story.html
Judging by the SUper Bowl, Trump's comments don't look favorable for the Nats

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #51: September 28, 2017, 11:21:38 AM »
Lester has been terrible and Arrieta has gone 2.1, 5, and 3 innings in his last 3 starts.  Quintana has been pitching like an Ace, but after that it gets dicey for them.  We're going to score plenty of runs on them.  Can Max and Strasburg dominate their lineups in Games 1 and 2?  If so, I think we go to Wrigley looking to sweep with Gio.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #52: September 28, 2017, 11:28:06 AM »
Lester has been terrible and Arrieta has gone 2.1, 5, and 3 innings in his last 3 starts.  Quintana has been pitching like an Ace, but after that it gets dicey for them.  We're going to score plenty of runs on them.  Can Max and Strasburg dominate their lineups in Games 1 and 2?  If so, I think we go to Wrigley looking to sweep with Gio.
We felt pretty much the same way in 2014, too. We beat Madbum and were bested by a bunch of scrubs in the other games. I'll take no solace in facing struggling pitchers until we beat them.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53: September 28, 2017, 11:28:39 AM »
Cubs gave us some pretty great bulletin board material back in June. You can bet they'll be reminded if that.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-todd-ricketts-nationals-cubs-notes-spt-0629-20170628-story.html

Was there any context to that quote? Or did he just randomly call out the Nats?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #54: September 28, 2017, 11:30:42 AM »
Was there any context to that quote? Or did he just randomly call out the Nats?
Not sure, sounds like it was casual conversation, not necessarily meant for the media to hear. That's my read on it.

Edit:

A little more context here: http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/06/28/cubs-owner-tells-president-trump-nationals-will-crumble-in-playoffs/

The Cubs (39-38) are in second place in the National League Central, while the Nats (46-31) lead the NL East by 8.5 games.

None of these realities kept Cubs co-owner Todd Ricketts from gloating to the president about his club’s postseason chances against the Nats.

“How are they doing,” President Trump asked of the Nats.

“They’re looking pretty good,” said one off-camera voice, before Anthony Rizzo added, “If you want to come, it’s right down the street.”

“We’re going to run into these guys in the playoffs,” Ricketts told President Trump. “And you’ll come down and you’ll see them crumble.”

“Probably will,” President Trump said. “You probably will.”

It wasn’t entirely clear whether the president’s “probably will” reply was in response to the Cubs running into the Nats in the playoffs, or Ricketts’ claim that Washington will crumble, though it leads toward the former, which would be ideal.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #55: September 28, 2017, 12:38:40 PM »
Let's sweep these buggers. Or better yet 4 games so they have to pay for two overpriced games at home.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #56: September 28, 2017, 12:52:32 PM »
Zimmerman seems to have that clueless look about him which matches the way he is swining the bat. Gio and Roark have been bad the last outings; Stras has a bad calf and the offense can't solve the Phillies.

I don't think a team can just decide to "turn it on" in post season. Not the most encouraging of runs going into October

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #57: September 28, 2017, 12:59:49 PM »
Zimmerman seems to have that clueless look about him which matches the way he is swining the bat. Gio and Roark have been bad the last outings; Stras has a bad calf and the offense can't solve the Phillies.

I don't think a team can just decide to "turn it on" in post season. Not the most encouraging of runs going into October
Is there any actual evidence that teams playing well down the stretch do better in the post season?

https://www.stat.berkeley.edu/~aldous/Research/Ugrad/soncrant_presentation.pdf

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #58: September 28, 2017, 01:00:33 PM »
We felt pretty much the same way in 2014, too. We beat Madbum and were bested by a bunch of scrubs in the other games. I'll take no solace in facing struggling pitchers until we beat them.
This. Honest to god, if you have a 4/5 pitcher, or a guy who has been pitching like one recently, the Nationals are the perfect team to face.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #59: September 28, 2017, 01:01:56 PM »
And always have been. Most frustrating thing about watching them.

This. Honest to god, if you have a 4/5 pitcher, or a guy who has been pitching like one recently, the Nationals are the perfect team to face.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #60: September 28, 2017, 01:10:33 PM »
And always have been. Most frustrating thing about watching them.
It seems that way but I always see fans of other teams saying that also. Wonder what the data actually shows?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #61: September 28, 2017, 01:11:58 PM »
It would be interesting to see.

It seems that way but I always see fans of other teams saying that also. Wonder what the data actually shows?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #62: September 28, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »
Imagine what everyone was saying when Edwin Jackson was on his good streak. I heard Cubs openly mock us starting him and then he went and pitched a beaut vs. the Angels.

Offline RiotAct

« Reply #63: September 28, 2017, 01:19:59 PM »
I plan on posting my Nat-i-fied version of “Go Cubs Go!” after every :w: this series

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #64: September 28, 2017, 01:22:52 PM »
I plan on posting my Nat-i-fied version of “Go Cubs Go!” after every :w: this series
I'm not doing a lick of trash talking I'm terrible at it and it seemingly never ends well for me. And I know way too many Cubs fans.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #65: September 28, 2017, 01:26:04 PM »
I wanna beat the Cubs and be smug.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66: September 28, 2017, 01:26:51 PM »
And I know way too many Cubs fans.

Well, that's your first problem...

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #67: September 28, 2017, 01:27:15 PM »
I wanna beat the Cubs and be smug.
I'm not gonna stand in your way, and if they beat them, I probably will be, too. But on the front end, that's always ended badly for me.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #68: September 28, 2017, 01:27:38 PM »
Well, that's your first problem...
I live in the midwest. They're everywhere. I'm even related to some of 'em.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #69: September 28, 2017, 01:28:20 PM »
I'm not gonna stand in your way, and if they beat them, I probably will be, too. But on the front end, that's always ended badly for me.

I understand.     Be nonchalant and then when we win, go full smug.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #70: September 28, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »
I live in the midwest. They're everywhere. I'm even related to some of 'em.
I just spent a week in New England. There is no way that any area of the country can be more infested with fans of any team than New England is infested with Red Sox and Patriot fans.  And I'm related (by marriage) to a bunch of them.  (And I love them all!)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #71: September 28, 2017, 01:42:49 PM »
I just spent a week in New England. There is no way that any area of the country can be more infested with fans of any team than New England is infested with Red Sox and Patriot fans.  And I'm related (by marriage) to a bunch of them.  (And I love them all!)
Dude, Cubs fans came out of the woodwork like tribbles last year around here. At least where I'm at, it's not Pats/Red Sox levels because I'm an 8 hour drive from Chicago, but there's a ton of them now.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #72: September 28, 2017, 01:44:32 PM »
I bought my grandson a Clark Cubs bear when I went to Weihkey this year. He has shown little interest showing his good taste. The last couple days the dog has found it and has been busy trying to tear it apart. Seems a good omen to me.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #73: September 28, 2017, 01:45:07 PM »
It's the accent that kills me.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #74: September 28, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »
I grew up where the Yankee & Red Sox fans meet.  It was just like living on Capitol Hill, only we were always fighting over baseball and not politics.  But of course, those 2 teams have been around for over 100 years.  It would be interesting if the DC area ever developed into such a rivalry with the Orioles.