Author Topic: Beating the Cubs  (Read 31815 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Beating the Cubs
« Reply #250: October 08, 2017, 12:00:35 PM »
Actually I think they are.  They already won last year.  They have nothing left to prove and might wanna go hit the beach.

this is just freaking stupid :smh:

I don't. Pitchers had a plan and executed. Hitters had a plan and executed. 11 hits in two games.

this is what it always boils down to, PLAYERS executing

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #251: October 08, 2017, 12:39:16 PM »
In every fanbase there are a % of people who like to blame managers, specific positions, coaches, some combination...  what have you.  There's been a fire <manager> thread for every single manager the Nats have had.  I've never seen it as anything more than heat-of-the-moment venting, much like the gameday threads.  Consider it therapy for the poster(s), whether you think they actually believe it or not.

I get some people don't like to be around negativity, but I honestly can't bring myself to believe that WNFF is particularly exceptional in terms of negative or positive attitudes compared to the average generic sports website.  We've got a collection of posters who cover the range of attitudes and emotions, some more consistently than others.  I've learned not to take anything on the internet too seriously.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #252: October 08, 2017, 12:44:39 PM »
I'm a little concerned that we can only score via the long ball. Obviously it starts with Turner getting on base, but I'd like to see the team put together a big inning through multiple base hits

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #253: October 08, 2017, 12:53:40 PM »
I've learned not to take anything on the internet too seriously.

Bite me...  :P

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #254: October 08, 2017, 12:56:48 PM »
One of Dusty's best moves last night went almost un-noticed. Robles stayed in the play LF in the 9th.

Definitely a player's game. Putting the right player in for the moment though, that can be big.

spot on Natsinpwc

this is a players' game

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #255: October 08, 2017, 01:06:14 PM »
That's a great perspective Chief.  But just like the office or family get togethers, it's hard to take some that do nothing but complain.

In every fanbase there are a % of people who like to blame managers, specific positions, coaches, some combination...  what have you.  There's been a fire <manager> thread for every single manager the Nats have had.  I've never seen it as anything more than heat-of-the-moment venting, much like the gameday threads.  Consider it therapy for the poster(s), whether you think they actually believe it or not.

I get some people don't like to be around negativity, but I honestly can't bring myself to believe that WNFF is particularly exceptional in terms of negative or positive attitudes compared to the average generic sports website.  We've got a collection of posters who cover the range of attitudes and emotions, some more consistently than others.  I've learned not to take anything on the internet too seriously.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #256: October 08, 2017, 01:11:07 PM »
One of Dusty's best moves last night went almost un-noticed. Robles stayed in the play LF in the 9th.

:wtf:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #257: October 08, 2017, 01:36:45 PM »

Offline spidernat

« Reply #258: October 08, 2017, 01:39:11 PM »

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #259: October 08, 2017, 01:40:29 PM »
You don't think having a capable left fielder in in the top of the ninth is a good move?

:wtf:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #260: October 08, 2017, 01:41:21 PM »
You don't think having a capable left fielder in in the top of the ninth is a good move?

I think he means that was a "no-brainer" move...

Offline spidernat

« Reply #261: October 08, 2017, 01:43:33 PM »

I think he means that was a "no-brainer" move...

It had no impact other than it allowed Robles to celebrate with the outfielders after the doubleplay. There was a K, a single to CF and a grounder for a DP.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #262: October 08, 2017, 01:45:15 PM »
YOu can't predict outcomes. It put us in a much better position had a ball been hit anywhere in the area of LF.

Jayson looked terrible.

It had no impact other than it allowed Robles to celebrate with the outfielders after the doubleplay. There was a K, a single to CF and a grounder for a DP.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #263: October 08, 2017, 01:48:26 PM »
Jayson looked terrible.

While never graceful, he looks more awkward than he has in the past...

Offline spidernat

« Reply #264: October 08, 2017, 01:54:35 PM »

Jayson looked terrible.

Everyone keeps saying this but there has been no ball hit to LF that was a hit that would've resulted in an out if there had been another LF there. People get upset because they don't see Werth sprinting full speed to collect a ball in the corner that is a sure double. All major leaguers do that.

Like VaRK said though, it was an obvious move and I'm not going to give Baker credit for it just like I won't blame him for player failure.

But I will grant that Werth is not the best defensive LF we have and there could arise a play in which we could use a more athletic and more capable LF. It hasn't come up yet but it could. I still don't believe Werth will be benched by Rizzo and Baker.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #265: October 08, 2017, 02:00:35 PM »
I still don't believe Werth will be benched by Rizzo and Baker.

Nor do I...

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #266: October 08, 2017, 02:01:39 PM »
Nope. I guess we have to hope he hits one hard in an important situation.

Nor do I...

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #267: October 08, 2017, 02:02:17 PM »
Nope. I guess we have to hope he hits one hard in an important situation.

Odds are in his favor at this point...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #268: October 08, 2017, 04:00:44 PM »
More quotes from the Cubs forum.

“as much as i'd like to hate that harper homer, that was one majestic dong”

“Yeah, I had to watch that thing in awe.
Now, everything that came after that...that was just misery, and the next HR was just dumb and lame.”

“Harper’s equated to Schwarber’s against the Cards. He hit it like it owed him money.”

“I somehow missed the Harper bat flip yesterday. Just saw it now...I can't even be mad..that bat flip was horsefeathering awesome”

“agreed. some random guy walked up to me and said "did you see that?" (bc i live in NC and i was obviously the only person at the bar that cared about baseball) which would have usually pissed me off but it didn't because it was such a beatiful damn dong. i've never hated and respected a dong/bat flip as much as that one.”

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #269: October 08, 2017, 04:02:01 PM »
More quotes from the Cubs forum.

“as much as i'd like to hate that harper homer, that was one majestic dong”

“Yeah, I had to watch that thing in awe.
Now, everything that came after that...that was just misery, and the next HR was just dumb and lame.”

“Harper’s equated to Schwarber’s against the Cards. He hit it like it owed him money.”

“I somehow missed the Harper bat flip yesterday. Just saw it now...I can't even be mad..that bat flip was horsefeathering awesome”

“agreed. some random guy walked up to me and said "did you see that?" (bc i live in NC and i was obviously the only person at the bar that cared about baseball) which would have usually pissed me off but it didn't because it was such a beatiful damn dong. i've never hated and respected a dong/bat flip as much as that one.”

They're pavin' the way with bullcrap.    They think he's gonna be a Cubbie.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #270: October 08, 2017, 04:35:08 PM »

Per Chelsea Janes:

Kendrick's out in left field trying to get a feel for this view. He's got the most history against Quintana of anyone...5 for 10.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #271: October 08, 2017, 04:39:47 PM »
I like it. :clap:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #272: October 08, 2017, 04:52:13 PM »
Per Chelsea Janes:

Perhaps worth noting, perhaps worth nothing: Ryan Zimmerman hasn't been on the field for the Nats workout today.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #273: October 08, 2017, 04:54:08 PM »
Perhaps worth noting, perhaps worth nothing: Ryan Zimmerman hasn't been on the field for the Nats workout today.

taking "treatment"

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #274: October 08, 2017, 04:56:02 PM »