Author Topic: Beating the Cubs  (Read 31797 times)

Offline Optics

Re: Beating the Cubs
« Reply #176: October 04, 2017, 11:49:10 AM »
:lmao: they won the division by 17 games that year. Literally no game the last two weeks of the season meant a damn.

The Cubs were in the same spot last year in regards to running away with the division.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #177: October 04, 2017, 11:58:24 AM »
The Cubs were in the same spot last year in regards to running away with the division.
Yep. They also have the best manager in baseball. Probably going to go down as top 5 in history when it's all said and done.

Offline Demafrost

« Reply #178: October 04, 2017, 01:46:19 PM »
The Cubs announced their rotation for the series.  Hendricks in Game 1, then Lester, Quintana and Arrieta.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #179: October 04, 2017, 01:47:32 PM »
Good call on their part. Arrietta will get a couple weeks off to heal up the hammy before the Cubs face the Dodgers or Dbacks.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #180: October 04, 2017, 02:21:51 PM »
Good call on their part. Arrietta will get a couple weeks off to heal up the hammy before the Cubs face the Dodgers or Dbacks.

Dude, are you even a Nats fan?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #181: October 04, 2017, 02:25:08 PM »
You really do swing back and forth between the SSS and the LoD quite effortlessly.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #182: October 04, 2017, 02:30:22 PM »
Dude, are you even a Nats fan?
Of course. Doesn't mean I believe in the team. Should I? DC sports teams love to collapse.

You really do swing back and forth between the SSS and the LoD quite effortlessly.

Have I been SSS at all this year? I've been disinterested in the season for the majority of it, mainly because it has been pointless. And now I've watched the last month as they've coasted, just like 2014.

Besides, if I'm wrong, then I don't really feel bad about being wrong. It's an emotional hedge. I'll probably put a couple hundred bucks on the Cubs.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #183: October 04, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
yeah, there were a few times this year when you were suddenly positive. Maybe you were just trying to fire yourself up.

I get emotional hedges, but real money? NANF. :)

Of course. Doesn't mean I believe in the team. Should I? DC sports teams love to collapse.
Have I been SSS at all this year? I've been disinterested in the season for the majority of it, mainly because it has been pointless. And now I've watched the last month as they've coasted, just like 2014.

Besides, if I'm wrong, then I don't really feel bad about being wrong. It's an emotional hedge. I'll probably put a couple hundred bucks on the Cubs.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #184: October 04, 2017, 02:51:41 PM »
yeah, there were a few times this year when you were suddenly positive. Maybe you were just trying to fire yourself up.

I get emotional hedges, but real money? NANF. :)

You don't get sarcasm, do you?

Think about it this way: I would glady give up a couple hundred bucks to see the Nats get past the NLDS.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #185: October 04, 2017, 03:02:12 PM »
Slate has worked himself into a full lather. And others also in response.  And it's only Wednesday.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #186: October 04, 2017, 03:12:44 PM »
Slate has worked himself into a full lather. And others also in response.  And it's only Wednesday.
I'm taking off Friday. I haven't decided if I'm simply going to start drinking early, or actually try and work on repairing my floor.

Offline Demafrost

« Reply #187: October 04, 2017, 05:00:13 PM »
By the way, I am a Cubs fan visiting for the duration of the series...does anyone care if I occasionally add my .02 from a Cubs perspective?  I have no problems getting called out if I sound too much like a homer, but I will always tread lightly and respect the fact that I'm visiting.  Also I'll stay out of the game threads because I know how emotionally charged they can be.

Just figured you'd appreciate the occasional viewpoint of someone who has watched the Cubs all year.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #188: October 04, 2017, 05:03:23 PM »
By the way, I am a Cubs fan visiting for the duration of the series...does anyone care if I occasionally add my .02 from a Cubs perspective?  I have no problems getting called out if I sound too much like a homer, but I will always tread lightly and respect the fact that I'm visiting.  Also I'll stay out of the game threads because I know how emotionally charged they can be.

Just figured you'd appreciate the occasional viewpoint of someone who has watched the Cubs all year.

Do it.   Avoid the trolls.

Offline Demafrost

« Reply #189: October 04, 2017, 05:13:00 PM »
Do it.   Ignore the trolls.

Thanks....my 35,000 foot view of the series is that the Nats are the best team in the NL and Strasburg and Scherzer scare the crap out of me.  But I think the talent level is close enough that the Cubs winning wouldn't be a big upset (considering how playoff baseball usually works).  Things might change as the series evolves, but right now I'd have no problem rooting for the Nats to go all the way if they win.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #190: October 04, 2017, 05:26:08 PM »
Thanks....my 35,000 foot view of the series is that the Nats are the best team in the NL and Strasburg and Scherzer scare the crap out of me.  But I think the talent level is close enough that the Cubs winning wouldn't be a big upset (considering how playoff baseball usually works).  Things might change as the series evolves, but right now I'd have no problem rooting for the Nats to go all the way if they win.

Nats' fans have this thing that we can never be good enough  ...   and if we are, something will happen to negate our advantage.    Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I don't "fear" any of the competition in the NL.     I think the Nats will hit but will the pitching hold together?   No offense but if either the Cubs or Dodgers play the Indians in the Series, I may go with the Indians.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #191: October 04, 2017, 05:41:02 PM »
Welcome Demafrost.  Feel free to post but don't troll. There will be some shots taken at the Cubs and their fans, maybe even you, but that's the nature of an opponent's message board. 

Offline Monarch

« Reply #192: October 04, 2017, 05:43:19 PM »

There is a dude on here that doesn't think Nats have a chance, so you'll be fine.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #193: October 04, 2017, 05:48:54 PM »

cubs winning is definitely not an upset. they're the defending champs, big names, nats are chokers. we know the nats are good but i personally expect us to find a way to kill my spirit :?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #194: October 04, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »

BTW    We have what we call a Gameday Thread for each game by game number.    You can find it here:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?board=45.0

It can be crazy.    :)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #195: October 04, 2017, 06:51:24 PM »
I'm taking off Friday. I haven't decided if I'm simply going to start drinking early, or actually try and work on repairing my floor.
Drinking is always recommended for watching a DC team in the postseason.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #196: October 04, 2017, 06:55:09 PM »

I have mixed feelings. We had some Mets idiots here a couple years ago. One guy was nice and said he just liked to talk baseball with fans of other teams. But then he has not been seen or heard from the last two years. So you have to promise to drop by on the future even if the Cubs go South. Which does not seem likely for a while.

BTW I am currently in Cincy and made my first trip to Wrigley to watch the Nats play in August. The Cubs fans I met and talked to were all very nice.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #197: October 04, 2017, 07:27:38 PM »
There is a dude on here that doesn't think Nats have a chance, so you'll be fine.

The cubs fans will love Natsalltheway. he thinks everything is the harbinger of the end.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #198: October 05, 2017, 03:56:06 PM »
I've been looking at the Cubs forum. It's like night and day compared to this one. They all seem very confident of a walkover in this series. Here was a quote I saw.

"Another reason I love Hendricks game 1, is his pickoff move and him and Willy combined controlling the running game. Dusty probably still thinks he owns us and can run whenever, if we can shut them down a few times it might scare Dusty to run in future games in the series because he’s a big dumb idiot and will let recency bias influence him."

I mean I'd like less doom and gloom here. But those guys are too far the other way.

Basically, I think I just hate the internet

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #199: October 05, 2017, 04:09:56 PM »
You can be LoD or SSS all you want. It won't influence what happens on the field.