Author Topic: Beating the Cubs  (Read 31774 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Beating the Cubs
« Reply #100: September 28, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »
Someone on this board made the observation when Nats Park first opened that it had as much character and charm as a powerpoint presentation.  So there is that.  but by the same token, the Paris sewers have character and charm according to a lot of people, but I don't really want to spend time there. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #101: September 28, 2017, 04:06:19 PM »
I do think it's funny that their board has a link to this thread in it. And now we have a link to theirs.
The new world of Linked Open Data.

Offline Monarch

« Reply #102: September 28, 2017, 04:17:26 PM »
uh, that's pretty much spot-on accurate.  Ever been to an August day-time game at the park, and sat on the 1B side?

I agree with this. While I do like Nats park, that whole side of the field is murder in the summer day time games. I also think that it lacks character compared to some other places. Maybe its just still too new for that and it'll take time. Not to beat a dead horse, but I do wish there was more parity between the casual fans and the more engaged ones, but that might not be just a nats park problem. Concessions are good though and I like how they keep adding new stuff every year, esp local beers (just wish they were easier to get regardless where your seats are).

Don't let the Cubs fans fool you though if you've never been to wrigley. I was there once like 16 years ago and while it was a cool experience  the place is very old (the piss and mustard analogy was spot on)....I was at the white sox park more recently and while its newer, the concourse has the same crud to it that Wrigley does. And the bull pen looks like the exercise area for inmates at Guantanamo.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #103: September 28, 2017, 04:18:13 PM »
Maddon will walk whoever hits in front of Zimmerman and watch the flailing of our clean-up hitter. Standard procedure.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #104: September 28, 2017, 04:20:23 PM »
I agree with this. While I do like Nats park, that whole side of the field is murder in the summer day time games. I also think that it lacks character compared to some other places. Maybe its just still too new for that and it'll take time. Not to beat a dead horse, but I do wish there was more parity between the casual fans and the more engaged ones, but that might not be just a nats park problem. Concessions are good though and I like how they keep adding new stuff every year, esp local beers (just wish they were easier to get regardless where your seats are).

I still think CF should have overlooked the River (and maybe they wouldn't have built the Woolworth condos).     I can imagine bein' in the Loft watchin' the river flow.     The plaza could have been at the home plate entrance.    They probably built it the way they did so we could get a good look at the Capitol parking lots.     Of course, then the folks on the 3rd base line would complain about the sun during day games.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #105: September 28, 2017, 04:25:59 PM »
May be a Mindfact, but IIRC correctly, years ago, the home team seemed to always have the 3rd base dugout. 

What is the advantage to the first base side...other than maybe proximity to the player parking lot?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #106: September 28, 2017, 04:29:58 PM »
It could be somethings we have no clue on, such as given the streets, there could have been more room in the stadium design for a bigger clubhouse on the 1st base side.

May be a Mindfact, but IIRC correctly, years ago, the home team seemed to always have the 3rd base dugout. 

What is the advantage to the first base side...other than maybe proximity to the player parking lot?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #107: September 28, 2017, 04:56:38 PM »
What is the advantage to the first base side
(1) Third base coach doesn't like to have to turn his head to get the sign.  (2) More batters are right handed and catcher can get the sign easier when not blocked by the batter.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #108: September 28, 2017, 05:06:12 PM »

It's in the sun and FP can use that as a reason the team is tired after the long trip from Philadelphia.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #109: September 28, 2017, 05:10:12 PM »
Well the Nats had the third base side at RFK, presumably because the locker room on that side was nicer, probably because the Senators used that side. So you're probably right.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #110: September 28, 2017, 05:26:27 PM »
It's in the sun and FP can use that as a reason the team is tired after the long trip from Philadelphia.

This makes sense...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #111: September 28, 2017, 05:28:27 PM »
This makes sense...

....  and the twilight.    Oh my, the twilight on the first base side.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #112: September 28, 2017, 05:47:35 PM »
Slate doesn't go to games...there are other people there...

:hysterical:

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #113: September 28, 2017, 05:50:55 PM »
Someone on this board made the observation when Nats Park first opened that it had as much character and charm as a powerpoint presentation.  So there is that.  but by the same token, the Paris sewers have character and charm according to a lot of people, but I don't really want to spend time there. 

There is some level of charm, at least with the views of the capital and the Anacostia river, but yeah, it's pretty sterile compared to say PNC, AT&T, or dare I say, Camden Yards.  Demolishing the OF parking garages would greatly improve the look/feel of the park.

That being said, it's a great place if you are simply focused on baseball.  There really aren't the corny distractions that take away from the game like in so many other parks.

Scraps

« Reply #114: September 28, 2017, 06:31:21 PM »
Is anyone else concerned about the momentum the Cubs have to end the season? The Nationals are pitching well... but the offense is in major coast mode. They scatter hits, tack on runs here and there, rarely put crooked numbers on the board. The Cubs on the other hand are putting up 6-10 runs a night it seems. Getting clutch late/extra inning heroics. And they also seem to be pitching well. I'd put my Nats up against any team.. They are an elite team. But the Cubs are playing their best ball right now.. and the Nats (with the exception of the bullpen) played their best ball in April.

E-X-P-E-C-T-A-T-I-O-N-S can carry the weight of a gorilla on your back. That being said, everyone seems to have high “expectations” again that the Nationals should beat a World Championship caliber team of competitors such as the Cubs who will now be playing as if they have nothing to lose. Not good. :(

We can also only hope that Baker playing  all his bench jockeys, rookies, and batting Difo “3rd” just a day and a half after clinching the NL East did’t send the wrong message throughout his clubhouse as well. Geesh!

There is no ON/OFF switch in professional baseball and I would suggest Baker stop his creative penciling in of makeshift lineups while “playing not to get injured” and use these last few games to find that competitive edge to roll into the Playoffs feeling like you’re battle tested and ready to go!

Baker should play his starters for 6-7 hard fought innings “then” start filtering in the bench as you would in the Playoffs;
1) pinch hit Lind, etc.

2) defensive replacements  Kendrick for Werth, Difo for Murphy, Robles for Harper.

The bad news is, Baker has this team primed for another kick to the a&&! The good news is, he still has four games to work with.

SHAKE IT UP IN HERE!   GO NATS BABY!!!

:metal:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #115: September 28, 2017, 07:44:58 PM »
LMAO at the boring stadium part. Wrigley is great to visit once, but it looks better on TV than it does to actually experience a game in. It's funny how Cub fans think that brick, ivy and an old scoreboard make up for the fact that their stadium is the baseball equivalent of a fraternity bro bar in West Lafayette that was built in 1974.

As far as they're concerned , that's a highlight feature

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #116: September 28, 2017, 09:04:32 PM »
Opposing viewpoint of the series:

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1763

Ever been to Nationals park before? It's the least interesting stadium ever built. Somehow you're always facing the sun no matter where you sit.

:lol:   Except for anywhere on the third base side, but whatever. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #117: September 29, 2017, 11:08:24 AM »
No real need to argue about whether the stadium is interesting.  I tend to like to watch ballgames when I go to a ballgame, so things like site lines, cutaways between the decks, good SRO spots, and quick access to concessions and rest rooms matter a bit more to me than whether there's a nice water view or bleachers on top the roof tops of the adjacent apartments.  I'm hoping the Nats are doing well enough that I'm not scoping out the iron work or statues. As for the 1B side during days in August, that should not matter much in October.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #118: September 29, 2017, 11:09:55 AM »
Maddon will walk whoever hits in front of Zimmerman and watch the flailing of our clean-up hitter. Standard procedure.
Then we should place Wieters/Lobaton in the 3 spot.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #119: September 29, 2017, 11:18:50 AM »
Then we should place Wieters/Lobaton in the 3 spot.

Good move, but would you rather pitch to Zim or Lobo in clutch situations?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #120: September 29, 2017, 11:20:24 AM »
Good move, but would you rather pitch to Zim or Lobo in clutch situations?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #121: September 29, 2017, 12:54:58 PM »

Part of what adds character to stadiums is the history behind them.  In a short time, Nats Park has already racked up quite a bit of good history.  The one thing that's missing is a World Series.  Bring home that WS and we'll forever remember Nats Park as the spot where Zim walked off on opening night, Strasmas happened, Werth walked off in game 4, ZNN threw the first no-hitter, Scherzer chased perfection, and most importantly, the Nats' home when the franchise turned around from being the laughing stock to world champs.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #122: September 29, 2017, 02:19:41 PM »
So Nats Park may not have much character, sure, but it's super comfortable. Great sight lines, open concourses, very clean,  good food and drinks choices. And it's home.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #123: September 29, 2017, 02:20:33 PM »
Someone on this board made the observation when Nats Park first opened that it had as much character and charm as a powerpoint presentation. 

:lmao:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #124: September 29, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »
I was there once.  Never got the charm.

Wrigley feels like you're playing in a museum. But small concourses, small bathrooms, tiny seats, no cup holders, etc., wear thin.