Author Topic: Dusty  (Read 3018 times)

Offline baldkid

Dusty
« Topic Start: September 25, 2017, 03:15:32 PM »
Any talk of a new contract for 2018 or is he pretty much gone unless the Nationals win the whole thing? This is very odd

Offline dcpatti

Re: Dusty
« Reply #1: September 25, 2017, 04:14:38 PM »
Any talk of a new contract for 2018 or is he pretty much gone unless the Nationals win the whole thing? This is very odd

Barry Svrluga (who can be at times extremely critical of pretty much anyone remotely related to the Nats) theorized a few weeks ago that Mr Lerner's cancer treatment was taking the family's attention, pushing Dusty's contract to the back burner, but that Dusty (a cancer survivor himself) was understanding of the situation.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #2: September 25, 2017, 05:06:55 PM »
I love Dusty. It will break my heart if he doesn't return.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #3: September 25, 2017, 05:11:14 PM »
It's about winning bid the team doesn't advance he won't be back. Simple.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #4: September 25, 2017, 05:24:04 PM »
It's about winning bid the team doesn't advance he won't be back. Simple.

Yup...this is the best team Mike Rizzo has ever assembled...even if a good portion of it didn't get here until July.  Another NLDS failure and Rusty will be picking grapes next year...

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #5: September 25, 2017, 07:32:24 PM »
This question shouldn't be asked until after the playoffs.

And I say that as a Dusty supporter.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7: September 25, 2017, 08:12:14 PM »
I think he deserves an extension for two reasons:

1) he navigated the team to almost 100 wins despite a number of injuries that would have sunk most other teams (see: Mets, Giants)

2) who are you replacing him with? It’s not like Casey Stengel is waiting in the wings somewhere.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: September 25, 2017, 09:02:18 PM »
I think he deserves an extension for two reasons:

1) he navigated the team to almost 100 wins despite a number of injuries that would have sunk most other teams (see: Mets, Giants)

2) who are you replacing him with? It’s not like Casey Stengel is waiting in the wings somewhere.

Agreed on both points, but remember Davey Johnson's swift age related decline.  Dusty ain't no spring chicken.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #9: September 25, 2017, 10:01:59 PM »
Agreed on both points, but remember Davey Johnson's swift age related decline.  Dusty ain't no spring chicken.

Yes he is.   :)

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #10: September 25, 2017, 10:53:31 PM »
I have to wonder if Dusty has told them he doesn't even really care to talk about an extension during the season at this stage in his career.  There's probably scenarios where he'd agree it's time to move on.   If they lose in 3 straight and its all his fault, then I'm thinking he's probably going to think his time is done here.   Winning a series or two, with everyone coming back, I'm sure he'd want to come back and settle unfinished business.  Win it all, and he might want to end his career on that note.

Money, security and all that probably isn't much of a factor to him.  I can see them having a mutual understanding that they'll figure something out in the offseason.

Offline More of #34

« Reply #11: September 25, 2017, 11:27:31 PM »
I sure hope he continues - he's been super!

Offline Ray D

« Reply #12: September 26, 2017, 06:45:16 AM »

It’s not like Casey Stengel is waiting in the wings somewhere.

Stengel would make a total of three managers sleeping in the dugout.  That has to be a record.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #13: September 26, 2017, 06:53:10 AM »
It's a bit funny and maybe premature, but I wonder if he's more popular here than in SF, CHC, or Cinci? It seems some of the negatives were well-known coming into town (Prior, Wood, and starter abuse; contempt for OBP; screwy in-game and lineup strategy, etc...) but his strengths of managing egos, chemistry, and managing for the season were a underemphasized.  At least one big surprise for me has his been his work breaking in young players. he was supposed to be a veteran's manager, but he has worked well with several position players breaking in and helped along guys like Cole, Solis, Grace, even Lopez / rivero / treinen. 

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #14: September 26, 2017, 08:42:42 AM »
This team ushered Frank Robinson and Davey Johnson out the door because of their age. Is Dusty next to get the gold watch and thanks for his service?

I don't know.

But he is a "spring chicken" compared to old man Lerner

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #15: September 26, 2017, 09:25:32 AM »
It's a bit funny and maybe premature, but I wonder if he's more popular here than in SF, CHC, or Cinci? It seems some of the negatives were well-known coming into town (Prior, Wood, and starter abuse; contempt for OBP; screwy in-game and lineup strategy, etc...) but his strengths of managing egos, chemistry, and managing for the season were a underemphasized.  At least one big surprise for me has his been his work breaking in young players. he was supposed to be a veteran's manager, but he has worked well with several position players breaking in and helped along guys like Cole, Solis, Grace, even Lopez / rivero / treinen. 

If he has another first round exit, I doubt he'll stay very popular here

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #16: September 26, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
depends on how he manages.

BTW, don't we already have a "fire dusty" thread for this discussion?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #17: October 08, 2017, 12:11:22 PM »
So does Dusty get any credit for last night ?  Like when to give Lind an AB ?  How about the relief pitcher selection ?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #18: October 08, 2017, 12:20:35 PM »
So does Dusty get any credit for last night ?  Like when to give Lind an AB ?  How about the relief pitcher selection ?
Conisdering Lind should be starting, no not really

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #19: October 08, 2017, 12:22:16 PM »

But saving Lind as a pinch hitter gives Dusty the option of having Lind at bat at the most opportune moment

Conisdering Lind should be starting, no not really

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #20: October 08, 2017, 12:28:49 PM »
But saving Lind as a pinch hitter gives Dusty the option of having Lind at bat at the most opportune moment

And starting Lind gives us the option of having a productive LFer who gets 3-4 ABs a Game.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #21: October 08, 2017, 01:48:11 PM »
And starting Lind gives us the option of having a productive LFer who gets 3-4 ABs a Game.

If someone's starting in LF over Werth, wouldn't it be Kendrick? 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #22: October 08, 2017, 01:55:02 PM »
If someone's starting in LF over Werth, wouldn't it be Kendrick? 

definitely

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23: October 08, 2017, 02:51:35 PM »
I wouldn’t have started Lind Vs a lefty.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #24: October 08, 2017, 03:23:53 PM »
who are you replacing him with? It’s not like Casey Stengel is waiting in the wings somewhere.

Joe Girardi should be available  :couch:

But seriously, I've always liked Dusty and hope he stays.