Author Topic: What is your opinion on netting?  (Read 4651 times)

Offline Copecwby20

Re: What is your opinion on netting?
« Reply #50: September 22, 2017, 10:30:51 AM »
Copec is a liberal?

I'm basically Ron Swanson with better facial hair.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #51: September 22, 2017, 11:17:56 AM »
I used to buy into the notion that if you pay attention you won't get hurt. But I've had a couple of hard hit line drives come my way down the 3B line this season that would have been almost impossible to avoid if they were right at me. And I'm fairly mobile and I know how hard hit baseballs behave.

I'm all for the nets now. The ones they have at MLB stadiums are very easy to see through so I don't see the harm in having them.
My reactions ain't what they used to be. Even if you have good reactions you may get plunked when the guy in front ducks at the last minute or fans on the ball.

Sat with a friend in one of the field boxes at a PNats game a few years ago and was nervous the whole game.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52: September 22, 2017, 12:27:36 PM »
What is up with all you guys being so nervous about this. You make it seem like these lower sections are actual minefields that require constant vigilance. What are the actual chances one person getting hit by a hard foul ball? It’s rare.
I have no problem with expanded netting because it involves no real cost, but this is a case of definitely overestimating the risk of a rare event.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #53: September 22, 2017, 12:40:15 PM »
What is up with all you guys being so nervous about this. You make it seem like these lower sections are actual minefields that require constant vigilance. What are the actual chances one person getting hit by a hard foul ball? It’s rare.
I have no problem with expanded netting because it involves no real cost, but this is a case of definitely overestimating the risk of a rare event.

I can't put a number on the chances, but if you have a line drive whistle by your ears a couple of times, you will be convinced. And just about every game I go to and sit down in 113, there's at least one or two close calls. So, yeah, I guess I'm saying the lower sections are actual minefields. ;)

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #54: September 22, 2017, 12:42:09 PM »
My reactions ain't what they used to be. Even if you have good reactions you may get plunked when the guy in front ducks at the last minute or fans on the ball.

Sat with a friend in one of the field boxes at a PNats game a few years ago and was nervous the whole game.

Last year, I had an easy high pop up coming my way and I was just standing ready to make the catch. My son reached out at the last minute and flicked the ball enough so it changed direction and it went off my shoulder. I was just grateful it didn't go off my face.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #55: September 22, 2017, 12:51:06 PM »
I think that kid being hospitalized after a foul ball impact started this discussion.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56: September 22, 2017, 12:53:29 PM »
I think that kid being hospitalized after a foul ball impact started this discussion.

No, that’s why I started it, because it was in the news. But I think that the chances of serious injury netting or no is probably remote.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #57: September 22, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »

Those close-in / low seats at the Pfitz can be terrifying.  I saw a left handed batter pull a line drive into the stands just past the dugout - there was a dad sitting there staring blankly out at something in the field.  The ball missed him by inches and hit is daughter smack in the side of her face.  She fell over as if dead.  He picked her up like a rag doll and went sprinting out of the seating area, presumably to the first aid area but I never did hear how that turned out.

Offline Optics

« Reply #58: September 22, 2017, 01:38:28 PM »
I'm all for it. Safety is paramount.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #59: September 22, 2017, 01:39:08 PM »
No, that’s why I started it, because it was in the news. But I think that the chances of serious injury netting or no is probably remote.

To any individual, sure, but collectively it's not rare at all.  Bloomberg found in 2014 that about 1,750 fans are injured annually at MLB games.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-09-09/baseball-caught-looking-as-fouls-injure-1-750-fans-a-year

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #60: September 22, 2017, 01:42:29 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #61: September 22, 2017, 01:47:59 PM »
Fake news...  ;)

Bloomberg always had a rep to me of being mainstream conservative business press.  Is there a contrary view?     :shrug:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #62: September 22, 2017, 01:53:01 PM »
Bloomberg always had a rep to me of being mainstream conservative business press.  Is there a contrary view?     :shrug:

Sorry...it wasn't meant to spark political debate...just having some fun...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #63: September 22, 2017, 01:54:35 PM »

I wasn't trying to start something either, just don't really know, to me they're much like the WSJ. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #64: September 22, 2017, 02:02:37 PM »
I wasn't trying to start something either, just don't really know, to me they're much like the WSJ. 

Damn    :)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #65: September 22, 2017, 02:04:33 PM »
mitlen, what did you expect from a couple betas? They're now running from each other. :stir:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #66: September 22, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »
mitlen, what did you expect from a couple betas? They're now running from each other. :stir:

Offline mitlen

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #68: September 22, 2017, 02:38:30 PM »
To any individual, sure, but collectively it's not rare at all.  Bloomberg found in 2014 that about 1,750 fans are injured annually at MLB games.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-09-09/baseball-caught-looking-as-fouls-injure-1-750-fans-a-year

The statistics don't show how many people crapped themselves from near misses. I can account for two just this year. :mg:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #69: September 22, 2017, 02:46:43 PM »
You have strong faith in your (fading) ability to avoid a hard hit foul. There's no way I could catch one - or avoid getting hit by one - with these progressive lenses... :D

well, instead of progressive lenses, why don't you go with a more conservative style?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70: September 22, 2017, 02:50:13 PM »
when you compare the pluses and the minuses, I think in total netting is a plus.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #72: September 22, 2017, 04:38:04 PM »
Agree - in probability/statistics, there is a term called Expected Value. It's the (probability of an event) x (payoff or outcome).  In this case, the probability is very low, but the payoff or outcome is a disaster.

More netting is better.

when you compare the pluses and the minuses, I think in total netting is a plus.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73: September 22, 2017, 08:23:18 PM »
I'm watching a fishing show. Their talking about netting, too.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #74: September 22, 2017, 08:24:07 PM »
I'm watching a fishing show. Their talking about netting, too.

Same thing on the pictures channel.