Author Topic: What is your opinion on netting?  (Read 4656 times)

Online aspenbubba

Re: What is your opinion on netting?
« Reply #25: September 21, 2017, 04:29:13 PM »
Do any stadiums do something like netting to a point, and then label some sections as high/risk, no kids allowed, and let people choose for themselves?
Somewhere on your ticket is a disclaimer against being liable for batted balls and bats injuring you. Not sure if it has ever gone to trial. I am thinking the in the interest of good will the clubs would pay any medical expense.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #26: September 21, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »
Somewhere on your ticket is a disclaimer against being liable for batted balls and bats injuring you. Not sure if it has ever gone to trial. I am thinking the in the interest of good will the clubs would pay any medical expense.

outside of Idaho, fans are probably sol https://www.cbsnews.com/news/baseball-fan-who-lost-eye-can-sue-over-foul-ball-injury-idaho-court-rules/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #27: September 21, 2017, 04:40:41 PM »
in common law, there used to be the so-called baseball rule limiting liability if some portion of the seats are behind nets.  I'm guessing the disclaimer is to put this on more solid ground in the license (ticket) to enter the stadium.   Sort of like those contracts your software supplier makes you sign onto to get windows or acrobat.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #28: September 21, 2017, 04:41:32 PM »

The disclaimer on the ticket is only a small part of it.  Most courts generally hold that merely by sitting in the stands, you assume the risk of being hit by a ball, although there seems to be some shift towards greater willingness to allow such claims to proceed to trial. 

in common law, there used to be the so-called baseball rule limiting liability if some portion of the seats are behind nets. I'm guessing the disclaimer is to put this on more solid ground in the license (ticket) to enter the stadium.   Sort of like those contracts your software supplier makes you sign onto to get windows or acrobat.

Still is, although exactly how far it goes varies by state.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #29: September 21, 2017, 04:49:43 PM »
in common law, there used to be the so-called baseball rule limiting liability if some portion of the seats are behind nets.  I'm guessing the disclaimer is to put this on more solid ground in the license (ticket) to enter the stadium.   Sort of like those contracts your software supplier makes you sign onto to get windows or acrobat.

I wonder what's happens if a someone under 18 buys a ticket- too young to contract so the disclaimer - to the extent it's a contract - is void.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30: September 21, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »
Doesn’t it change if the standard becomes netting and a club refuses? You can’t get out of being grossly negligent by putting a disclaimer on the ticket. And not having netting is not considered negligent now. But the definition of negligence can change over time with data and changing public opinion.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #31: September 21, 2017, 05:26:02 PM »
I think netting to the end of the dugout was overdue. As far as extending it further, I could see it being a good idea at least halfway toward the foul pole then up to team discretion depending on their specific stadium.

I've sat behind netting and barely notice it after a couple batters. When I'm near the dugout, even at minor league and college games, I always nag people I'm with to pay attention when the pitch is being thrown. Still, I've thought what if a ball is hit toward your chest area? It's one thing to duck or move side to side but if a ball is curving and ends up in your torso, how do you dodge that in barely a second? If I turned my body and took it dead on to the side, I'd be in pain but fine. That could severely hurt a small child or an elderly person.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #32: September 21, 2017, 05:29:09 PM »
A city council member in NYC wants to require the Yankees and Mets to put netting all the way to the foul poles.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #33: September 21, 2017, 05:37:17 PM »
A city council member in NYC wants to require the Yankees and Mets to put netting all the way to the foul poles.
When I invite people to the game I always warn them that a right handed batter will foul off a ball to the first base side and a lefty will foul it off to the third base side. And stop texting!!

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #34: September 21, 2017, 05:56:20 PM »
I wonder what's happens if a someone under 18 buys a ticket- too young to contract so the disclaimer - to the extent it's a contract - is void.

It would nullify it as to any contractual significance, but it would still serve as advising the person of the risk (if they read it), which would still serve the same purpose - bolstering an assumption of risk defense.  An assumption of risk defense to a tort suit is really what this is about.

Offline blue911

« Reply #35: September 21, 2017, 06:16:11 PM »
When I invite people to the game I always warn them that a right handed batter will foul off a ball to the first base side and a lefty will foul it off to the third base side. And stop texting!!

Those are dick pics, I'm not texting.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #36: September 21, 2017, 07:25:52 PM »
I'd be OK with netting all the way down to the flag pole.

With our young one, we do not buy tickets down the baselines.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #37: September 21, 2017, 07:59:24 PM »
Are you sure Blue ?

Those are dick pics, I'm not texting.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #38: September 22, 2017, 08:48:12 AM »
Carrying a glove and paying attention didn't help Cristian Guzman, can't see it being of any practical use for the average fan.

:clap:

We need more blue911 in our lives. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #39: September 22, 2017, 09:01:25 AM »

Poty

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #40: September 22, 2017, 10:09:17 AM »
Keep the netting as it is and let natural selection run it's course. Bad parents and people who don't pay attention will get what's coming to them. I'm a firm believer that the reason we have so many idiots that survived to adulthood is because of things like helmet laws and seatbelt laws.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #41: September 22, 2017, 10:10:02 AM »
Keep the netting as it is and let natural selection run it's course. Bad parents and people who don't pay attention will get what's coming to them. I'm a firm believer that the reason we have so many idiots that survived to adulthood is because of things like helmet laws and seatbelt laws.

And you're our shining example.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #42: September 22, 2017, 10:12:17 AM »
You have strong faith in your (fading) ability to avoid a hard hit foul. There's no way I could catch one - or avoid getting hit by one - with these progressive lenses... :D

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #43: September 22, 2017, 10:13:53 AM »
You have strong faith in your (fading) ability to avoid a hard hit foul. There's no way I could catch one - or avoid getting hit by one - with these progressive lenses... :D

I know I will be too drunk to adequately defend myself in those situations. Thus, I do not sit there. I don't slap a bear and then nag when it bites me.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #44: September 22, 2017, 10:14:08 AM »

That's his point - natural selection should be allowed to prune the less capable from our ranks leaving only the lucky strong to survive.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #45: September 22, 2017, 10:18:07 AM »
That's his point - natural selection should be allowed to prune the less capable from our ranks leaving only the lucky strong to survive.
And this coming from a liberal??? :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #46: September 22, 2017, 10:22:05 AM »
And this coming from a liberal??? :)

Copec is a liberal?

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #47: September 22, 2017, 10:23:25 AM »
Copec is a liberal?
I missed that you were quoting him

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #48: September 22, 2017, 10:23:57 AM »
 :hysterical:
I know I will be too drunk to adequately defend myself in those situations. Thus, I do not sit there. I don't slap a bear and then nag when it bites me.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #49: September 22, 2017, 10:28:43 AM »
I used to buy into the notion that if you pay attention you won't get hurt. But I've had a couple of hard hit line drives come my way down the 3B line this season that would have been almost impossible to avoid if they were right at me. And I'm fairly mobile and I know how hard hit baseballs behave.

I'm all for the nets now. The ones they have at MLB stadiums are very easy to see through so I don't see the harm in having them.