Author Topic: What is your opinion on netting?  (Read 2954 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: What is your opinion on netting?
« Reply #75: September 22, 2017, 09:43:24 PM »
I'm watching a fishing show. Their talking about netting, too.

:doh:

Online mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #76: September 22, 2017, 09:58:44 PM »
:doh:

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeriste we're takin' about fishin' and pictures and you are into grammar.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #77: September 22, 2017, 10:00:47 PM »
Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste we're takin' about fishin' and pictures and you are into grammar.

Sorry, I like both but JCA's a lawyer and I couldn't resist. 

Online mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #78: September 22, 2017, 10:03:27 PM »

We all have a job to do.    :)

Offline Mathguy

• Whoa That Was A Good One ! Poke His Brain Here !
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #79: September 22, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »
Given JCA's fetish for making sure we stay on topic, why is this discussion in the ClubHouse section ?

Offline RiotAct

« Reply #80: September 22, 2017, 11:10:56 PM »
I used to buy into the notion that if you pay attention you won't get hurt. But I've had a couple of hard hit line drives come my way down the 3B line this season that would have been almost impossible to avoid if they were right at me. And I'm fairly mobile and I know how hard hit baseballs behave.

I'm all for the nets now. The ones they have at MLB stadiums are very easy to see through so I don't see the harm in having them.

Yeah I sat front row right behind home plate for a Buffalo Bisons game last month (had to channel my inner Itkin Brother!), and the netting wasn’t distracting at all.  Forgot it was even there after the game started.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #81: September 23, 2017, 07:13:29 AM »
The disclaimer on my tickets says something about
Baseball being exempt from anti trust laws

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #82: September 23, 2017, 08:46:45 AM »
hey, I'm in New Hamster on leave.  I don't have to check my grammar.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #83: September 26, 2017, 03:56:13 PM »
FWIW, I took a line drive to the chest when I was sitting in 132. Another victim of progressive lenses - had hands up to catch and at the 6' mark it just went blurry and double vision. Dropped just under the heel of my palm and got me right about the breast pocket on a t-shirt. It left a mark.

About the only plus side was years of soccer taught me to give/deaden the impact so it dropped straight down and I got it for my son. The balls can definitely suck, even if you are paying attention, but it's the Lobaton specials into the third baseline seats that really worry me. I don't care if you are paying 100% attention and everyone around you is too - a flying bat will mess you up pretty easily.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #84: September 26, 2017, 04:07:05 PM »
FWIW, I took a line drive to the chest when I was sitting in 132. Another victim of progressive lenses - had hands up to catch and at the 6' mark it just went blurry and double vision. Dropped just under the heel of my palm and got me right about the breast pocket on a t-shirt. It left a mark.

About the only plus side was years of soccer taught me to give/deaden the impact so it dropped straight down and I got it for my son. The balls can definitely suck, even if you are paying attention, but it's the Lobaton specials into the third baseline seats that really worry me. I don't care if you are paying 100% attention and everyone around you is too - a flying bat will mess you up pretty easily.

The new extended nets past the dugouts do a good job in stopping flying bats. You would have to really let go of one to get past them.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #85: September 26, 2017, 04:16:31 PM »
in probability/statistics, there is a term called Expected Value. It's the (probability of an event) x (payoff or outcome). 
As I recall from my study of statistics, many years ago, to compute expected value you take each possible outcome, multiply it by its probability, and sum them all up. I can't see how that squares with your definition.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #86: September 26, 2017, 04:52:53 PM »
The new extended nets past the dugouts do a good job in stopping flying bats. You would have to really let go of one to get past them.

Yep - which is an example of why I support extended netting. Though, I am in favor of creating a couple of rows of seats that are on the field side of the netting, all the way around the infield, because, Darwin.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #87: September 26, 2017, 04:57:35 PM »
Yep - which is an example of why I support extended netting. Though, I am in favor of creating a couple of rows of seats that are on the field side of the netting, all the way around the infield, because, Darwin.

LOL. I'm for extended netting practically all the way to the foul poles.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #88: September 26, 2017, 05:49:32 PM »
As I recall from my study of statistics, many years ago, to compute expected value you take each possible outcome, multiply it by its probability, and sum them all up. I can't see how that squares with your definition.

His is singular, yours is plural.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #89: September 26, 2017, 06:33:16 PM »
As I recall from my study of orbital fractures not so long ago, the expected value of intact facial bone structure is always less than the actual value  :lol:

Online bluestreak

« Reply #90: September 26, 2017, 09:25:49 PM »

Flip a coin: Heads you get $1, tails you get zero. Probability of heads 1/2=.5, probability of tails 1/2= .5

Multiply each by payoff and then take average. (0.5*1 + 0.5* 0)/2 = $0.50
Same as taking probability of payoff and multiplying by payoff. 0.5* $1= $0.50

This assumes binary outcome, I.e.  all or nothing. 

Offline Mathguy

• Whoa That Was A Good One ! Poke His Brain Here !
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #91: September 26, 2017, 09:46:52 PM »
Ray D - it's the same idea, only as was said, expected value can be for one event or a series of events.  But the main point I am getting at is that probability and not equally likely odds of occurrence plays a major role into assessing an outcome.  Also, in this case, while the probability is small, the outcome is so bad that a team will want to make that probability zero.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #92: September 30, 2017, 02:39:20 PM »
I think it is absurd their isn't netting already. No brainer.