Author Topic: Postseason Starting Rotation  (Read 12992 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Postseason Starting Rotation
« Reply #225: October 12, 2017, 07:46:16 AM »
I read somewhere that if you go with Roark and pivot to Gio you make Maddon potentially burn his lefty sluggers. Not the worst plan, especially if Max is there for 2 innings.

Roark: 2 innings, hopefully doesn’t bat.
Pinch hit for pitcher first time through.
Gio: 3 innings, hopefully bats once.
Pinch hit for pitcher 4th time through.
Max: 2 innings, hopefully doesn’t bat.
Pinch hit again.
Kinzler/Madson/Doolittle as needed.

This plan would have one pitcher AB unless we have a big inning. Two tops. It would also flip from righty to lefty and back.

You can start Werth and use his spot in the order to double switch the pitching spot back for Kendrick or Goodwin, then do it again for Goodwin or Kendrick, and if need be even a third time with Robles.

The problem is that it relies on the Nationals scoring against Hendricks early enough to warrant burning your bench bats.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #226: October 12, 2017, 09:17:25 AM »
Max is probably an only if necessary situation. If you can get away with not pitching him, I'm sure that's their preference. But it's a heckuva ace to have in the hole.

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #227: October 12, 2017, 10:12:34 AM »
I read somewhere that if you go with Roark and pivot to Gio you make Maddon potentially burn his lefty sluggers. Not the worst plan, especially if Max is there for 2 innings.

Roark: 2 innings, hopefully doesn’t bat.
Pinch hit for pitcher first time through.
Gio: 3 innings, hopefully bats once.
Pinch hit for pitcher 4th time through.
Max: 2 innings, hopefully doesn’t bat.
Pinch hit again.
Kinzler/Madson/Doolittle as needed.

This plan would have one pitcher AB unless we have a big inning. Two tops. It would also flip from righty to lefty and back.

You can start Werth and use his spot in the order to double switch the pitching spot back for Kendrick or Goodwin, then do it again for Goodwin or Kendrick, and if need be even a third time with Robles.

I'd be very happy to see Roark bat before completing 2 innings.  It would mean we'd scored at least 3 runs in the first!

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #228: October 12, 2017, 10:27:02 AM »
How so?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #229: October 12, 2017, 10:45:06 AM »
Max is probably an only if necessary situation. If you can get away with not pitching him, I'm sure that's their preference. But it's a heckuva ace to have in the hole.
That's the dream right there. Game 1 of the NLCS is Saturday. That's normal rest for Scherzer. So he goes Game 1 against the Dodgers. Game 2 can be Roark. He had a 3.30 ERA on the road in the second half. Back home for Game 3, 4, and 5, which gives us Strasburg, Gio (at home) and back to Scherzer. Gives us Strasburg on short rest for Game 6, or normal rest for Game 7.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #230: October 12, 2017, 10:50:39 AM »

I agree.  You do what you gotta do to win, but if we can just use Gio/Roark and the bullpen guys to get the W, then by all means we'd love to have Max Game 1 in LA and Strasburg Game 2.  That means we could start them twice each in a 7 game series and, without checking the schedule, I'd think in Game 7 Max could be on 3 days rest and available to pitch a 3rd time in some capacity.  Didn't Mad Bum start Games 1, 4, and 7 in a series before?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #231: October 12, 2017, 10:59:50 AM »
That's the dream right there. Game 1 of the NLCS is Saturday. That's normal rest for Scherzer. So he goes Game 1 against the Dodgers. Game 2 can be Roark. He had a 3.30 ERA on the road in the second half. Back home for Game 3, 4, and 5, which gives us Strasburg, Gio (at home) and back to Scherzer. Gives us Strasburg on short rest for Game 6, or normal rest for Game 7.
Perfect world scenario is to win today w/o using Max. Then you can have Max or Stras in Games 1, 3, 5, and 7. I'll take my chances with that. But you gotta get past today first.

Offline Optics

« Reply #232: October 12, 2017, 11:00:51 AM »
Are you allowed to set a new 25 man roster for each round of the playoffs? If so, then yes throw every single possible arm out there and worst comes to worst we have Jackson or Cole start Game 1 and bite the bullet(I mean we aren't beating Kershaw in LA anyway).

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #233: October 12, 2017, 11:02:25 AM »
I agree.  You do what you gotta do to win, but if we can just use Gio/Roark and the bullpen guys to get the W, then by all means we'd love to have Max Game 1 in LA and Strasburg Game 2.  That means we could start them twice each in a 7 game series and, without checking the schedule, I'd think in Game 7 Max could be on 3 days rest and available to pitch a 3rd time in some capacity.  Didn't Mad Bum start Games 1, 4, and 7 in a series before?
Mad bum started Games 1 and 5 of the 2014 World Series and came our of the pen in game 7 to throw five and close it out.

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #234: October 12, 2017, 11:02:32 AM »
How so?

Assuming you're asking about us having scored 3 if Roark bats before pitching 2 innings?...  Well, they bat first, so, by the time they've batted twice, we'd have only batted once.  If the starting pitcher, presumably batting 9th, bats in the 1st inning, it means we'd have sent at least 9 batters to the plate.  To send 9 batters to the plate in an inning, you have to score a minimum of least 3 runs... 3 in, 3 left on, 3 out.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #235: October 12, 2017, 11:03:05 AM »
Are you allowed to set a new 25 man roster for each round of the playoffs? If so, then yes throw every single possible arm out there and worst comes to worst we have Jackson or Cole start Game 1 and bite the bullet(I mean we aren't beating Kershaw in LA anyway).
Yes, you get to reset it. I'm not forfeiting any games to anybody, though.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #236: October 12, 2017, 11:03:56 AM »
Mad bum started Games 1 and 5 of the 2014 World Series and came our of the pen in game 7 to throw five and close it out.

Gotcha, thanks.  So 5 innings coming out of the pen...that's basically starter innings.  What a horse.

Offline dlayman

« Reply #237: October 12, 2017, 11:06:02 AM »

You do get to reset your 25, but there's no way I would sacrifice game 1 against Kershaw.  He isn't the same pitcher in in the PS, and I'll take my chances with Max or Strass against him in LA.

Offline Optics

« Reply #238: October 12, 2017, 12:25:58 PM »
You do get to reset your 25, but there's no way I would sacrifice game 1 against Kershaw.  He isn't the same pitcher in in the PS, and I'll take my chances with Max or Strass against him in LA.

I wouldn't either, but my point is that if we use Gio AND Roark AND Scherzer tonight, who could pitch Game 1 on Saturday effectively?

I know its Game 5 do or die and you do what you gotta do to advance, I get that, but you gotta leave yourself some kind of option for a game two days from now too.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #239: October 12, 2017, 12:46:36 PM »

MadBum is a god though

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #240: October 12, 2017, 01:01:30 PM »
Would this be Scherzer's normal bullpen day?   If so, it seems like it is somewhat normal to have starters pitch an inning on their bullpen day and then take their regular start.   I like our 7,8,9 inning guys better than Scherzer coming into a game cold anyway, so Scherzer in the 6th if needed would probably work out well all around.

Offline dlayman

« Reply #241: October 12, 2017, 01:01:36 PM »
I wouldn't either, but my point is that if we use Gio AND Roark AND Scherzer tonight, who could pitch Game 1 on Saturday effectively?

I know its Game 5 do or die and you do what you gotta do to advance, I get that, but you gotta leave yourself some kind of option for a game two days from now too.

That's a legitimate question. I think if Scherzer is used it will be only briefly.  You could make the argument that this would be lieu of the BP session a starter normally throws two days before a start, although of course game action would be much more intense.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #242: October 12, 2017, 01:05:56 PM »
we have the arms; we need some bats to step up

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #243: October 12, 2017, 01:09:59 PM »
It will all depend on the bats. They need to come out and put up 3-4 runs on the board early. Then you go with Gonzalez for a maximum of 4 innings and if you have a cushion let Roark get in there for a couple.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #244: October 12, 2017, 01:52:41 PM »

I don't think we will use Roark tonight.   He is not good out of the bullpen.  You hope Gio can go 5 innings then Max 2.  Roark will start Saturday.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #245: October 12, 2017, 02:10:40 PM »

So you would pitch Stras on 3 days rest?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #246: October 12, 2017, 02:23:33 PM »
So you would pitch Stras on 3 days rest?

I wouldn't. If they freaking hit today they can get away with not using Scherzer and then the rotation is set. But I would have Strasburg penciled in for game 2 no matter what.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #247: October 12, 2017, 02:28:07 PM »

I wouldn't. If they freaking hit today they can get away with not using Scherzer and then the rotation is set. But I would have Strasburg penciled in for game 2 no matter what.

Game 2 would be 3 days rest for Stras, no?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #248: October 12, 2017, 02:32:08 PM »
Game 2 would be 3 days rest for Stras, no?

:doh: I'm no Mathguy. :lol:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #249: October 12, 2017, 02:32:58 PM »

:doh: I'm no Mathguy. :lol:

Pittsburgh schools?