Author Topic: Postseason Starting Rotation  (Read 12962 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Postseason Starting Rotation
« Reply #100: October 04, 2017, 03:45:25 PM »
We'll have a bullpen full of guys to pitch if he doesn't go 6 or 7.  WTF is your point?  Just more nonsense.  You have got to be the most obnoxious poster in the history of message boards.
MDS thinks he has work to do.

[mg]Why do you say that, JCA?[/mg]

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #101: October 04, 2017, 03:48:51 PM »
2 lefties first 3 games= I love it

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #102: October 04, 2017, 03:49:36 PM »

Offline whytev

« Reply #103: October 04, 2017, 04:09:40 PM »
I meant that Stras would start Game 5 and would be expected to pitch a normal amount of innings versus 3 from him and 3 from Max like mentioned above.  Max would be an awesome guy to have available to use at some point the way LA did with Kershaw.

Sure, but if he pitches 3 and is losing by a run and his spot comes up bases loaded, two outs, you warm up Max and pinch hit. The flexibility of having both is huge.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #104: October 04, 2017, 04:21:01 PM »
Because we hit lefties well obviously.  Lester has been hot garbage lately.  Q doesn't have any playoff experience.
I believe the Nationals are quite balanced in terms of LHP/RHP splits this year

Offline Slateman

« Reply #105: October 04, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »
275/331/456 vs. LHP
263/332/448 vs. RHP

Balanced yes, but we do better against LHP.
7 point OPS different. Meh, not really an advantage, considering the quality of LHP we're going to be facing. Lester faced the Nats twice this year, giving up 4 runs in a total of 12 innings pitch. Both starts were "quality starts"

Like I said, they have good pitching. Not seeing a real advantage.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #106: October 04, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »
275/331/456 vs. LHP
263/332/448 vs. RHP

Balanced yes, but we do better against LHP.
But, interestingly, they've been better vs. RHP starters than LHP.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #107: October 04, 2017, 04:39:56 PM »
But, interestingly, they've been better vs. RHP starters than LHP.
Yep. .605 vs .579

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #108: October 04, 2017, 06:45:28 PM »
Why?

Because we have a righty dominated lineup with 2 lefties that is doesnt matter which side the pitcher is from.
 too many righties like Hendricks always seem to give us trouble.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #109: October 04, 2017, 08:15:08 PM »
Scherzer threw from flat ground then abruptly stopped. He was originally going to throw a bullpen session today.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #110: October 04, 2017, 08:31:09 PM »
Scherzer threw from flat ground then abruptly stopped. He was originally going to throw a bullpen session today.

Zuck says the team is mum. Whoever throws off the mound tomorrow starts game 2

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #111: October 04, 2017, 08:34:58 PM »

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #112: October 04, 2017, 09:07:16 PM »
I didn’t see any reference to Scherzer “abruptly” stopping his workout.

Zuck says:

Scherzer player catch for about 10 minutes, looked pleased with how it went. But doesn't look like he's going to throw off mound today.

And Castillo:

No bullpen for Scherzer. Just catch. Let it go and stretched it out. Threw from stretch, from windup and with side crow hop from stretch.

I don’t think we will collectively exhale till Max has gotten through 6 innings but what these reporters are tweeting is at least a little less ominous.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #113: October 04, 2017, 09:39:01 PM »
Grienke's performance tonight is exactly why you can't expect your starters to go 7. Dude is a freaking ace and can't get out of the 4th .The stake are too high. When it happens, its amazing, but it's not what you can expect.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #114: October 04, 2017, 09:40:14 PM »
I didn’t see any reference to Scherzer “abruptly” stopping his workout.

Zuck says:

Scherzer player catch for about 10 minutes, looked pleased with how it went. But doesn't look like he's going to throw off mound today.

And Castillo:

No bullpen for Scherzer. Just catch. Let it go and stretched it out. Threw from stretch, from windup and with side crow hop from stretch.

I don’t think we will collectively exhale till Max has gotten through 6 innings but what these reporters are tweeting is at least a little less ominous.

No reason to rush him. He doens't "need" to start until Game 3. But I have to wonder if this affects bullpen decisions. Do you tell the rest of the staff that if he's hurt early in Game 3, Roark becomes the long man and Stras and Gio go on short rest? Do you add a guy like AJ Cole just in case?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #115: October 04, 2017, 09:51:52 PM »
Grienke's performance tonight is exactly why you can't expect your starters to go 7. Dude is a freaking ace and can't get out of the 4th .The stake are too high. When it happens, its amazing, but it's not what you can expect.

You keep saying this but who said they expected that much from the starters?

Online nfotiu

« Reply #116: October 04, 2017, 09:58:20 PM »
No reason to rush him. He doens't "need" to start until Game 3. But I have to wonder if this affects bullpen decisions. Do you tell the rest of the staff that if he's hurt early in Game 3, Roark becomes the long man and Stras and Gio go on short rest? Do you add a guy like AJ Cole just in case?
Only Strasburg would go on short rest in that scenario.  If they were thinking that, I'd rather have Gio pitch game 1 and be available for game 4 on short rest, and have Strasburg for game 2 and 5 on regular rest and not mess with him.

All the off days though means the bullpen can pitch whatever is needed of them, so I don't see a need to get too crazy.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #117: October 05, 2017, 03:54:36 AM »
No it's not.  What if the starter is still right on target and strong ?  And not even Matt Williams would pull a starter if the starter has pitcher a no-hitter.

I've been in the ballpark when Dusty lifted Strasburg from a no hitter. There are always other circumstances to be considered.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #118: October 05, 2017, 04:00:31 AM »
I am not sure you have to carry AJ Cole as a long guy. In regular season, yes, you need a long guy, but in the postseason even If you get beat up early you have to stay in the fight and try to fight back. Solis, Perez, and Grace all can go a couple innings in case of a Guthrie type disaster.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #119: October 05, 2017, 07:39:41 AM »
I am not sure you have to carry AJ Cole as a long guy. In regular season, yes, you need a long guy, but in the postseason even If you get beat up early you have to stay in the fight and try to fight back. Solis, Perez, and Grace all can go a couple innings in case of a Guthrie type disaster.
Not Grace but Cole

Offline Slateman

« Reply #120: October 05, 2017, 10:00:44 AM »
If we're in a position where we're relying on Solis/Perez/Grace/Blanton to go multiple innings, we're forfeiting the game.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #121: October 05, 2017, 10:35:31 AM »
I think you have to give Cole a serious look for a post-season spot ("I'll take 'things you never thought you'd ever say' for $400 please, Alex").  Ride the hot hand and all, and he's actually been pretty solid in his last few outings-- 13 hits and 4 ER in 14.1 innings for his last 3 outings-- and routine doesn't seem to much mess with his ability to pitch. I don't think he's the savior of the bullpen or our next ace, so don't get me wrong,  but if I needed someone to eat some innings with very little notice, I'd have to give it some serious thought. Most of our guys can't go more than an inning or two, and some of them just suck if they're moved into an unfamiliar role (see 8th Inning Doolittle, 9th Inning Kintzler, or Bullpen Roark).   Cole seems to be adaptable whether he's a starter or a long man or just goes an inning. 

for the post-season, Perez has got to stick to lefties as much as possible. Even better if he can return to his niche of high leverage LOOGY. Righties are his undoing and I would not put Ollie out there for 2 innings of Cubs. Lefties are batting .227 against him, with .665 OPS; and righties are batting .283 with OPS of .888. Yikes.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #122: October 05, 2017, 10:39:17 AM »
I think you have to give Cole a serious look for a post-season spot ("I'll take 'things you never thought you'd ever say' for $400 please, Alex").  Ride the hot hand and all, and he's actually been pretty solid in his last few outings-- 13 hits and 4 ER in 14.1 innings for his last 3 outings-- and routine doesn't seem to much mess with his ability to pitch. I don't think he's the savior of the bullpen or our next ace, so don't get me wrong,  but if I needed someone to eat some innings with very little notice, I'd have to give it some serious thought. Most of our guys can't go more than an inning or two, and some of them just suck if they're moved into an unfamiliar role (see 8th Inning Doolittle, 9th Inning Kintzler, or Bullpen Roark).   Cole seems to be adaptable whether he's a starter or a long man or just goes an inning. 

I mean, it seems like it's Joe Blanton vs Enny Romero vs AJ Cole. If you have a smart manager, you never use any of them in situations, but give them a clean inning each time, then it's simply a matter of who you think is better over multiple innings. But if you intned to use this pitcher in matchups in the middle of innings, then Cole should be ruled out.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #123: October 05, 2017, 11:08:37 AM »
Let's win games 1 & 2 and go with Roark in game 3 :)

As for the bullpen, I'm still OK with Cole over Blanton and Romero for the 7th spot, and would go with Cole and Romero if they go with an 8 man bullpen.  Big 3 plus Solis, Perez, and Albers are the locks.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #124: October 05, 2017, 11:12:57 AM »
I'm curious of Blanton's solid September gets him the nod.