Author Topic: Catching the Dodgers  (Read 6913 times)

Offline Truconfidence

Re: Catching the Dodgers
« Reply #125: September 20, 2017, 01:09:40 PM »
The NFL plays even fewer and manages to have divisions with meaningful rivalries.

Ehhh i think your view is skewed by living here. The rivalries in other divisions are not as big as they might seem.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #126: September 20, 2017, 01:20:06 PM »
This implies that every team is the same at all times. Which they aren't.

You play the teams in front of you.  If teams were "better" then they would have competent replacements for injuries.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #127: September 20, 2017, 01:20:22 PM »
This implies that every team is the same at all times. Which they aren't.

Just flip a coin then...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #128: September 20, 2017, 01:24:20 PM »
Ehhh i think your view is skewed by living here. The rivalries in other divisions are not as big as they might seem.

AFC north seems pretty big, same with the NFC north. AFC east was before the pats made it boring

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #129: September 20, 2017, 01:29:34 PM »
I agree. Everyone plays the exact same schedule, you know whoever wins was the best over the season.

Well, nobody will ever play the exact same schedule, since the Dodgers will never play the Dodgers, while the Phillies would have to.      :stir:

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #130: September 20, 2017, 01:30:38 PM »
You play the teams in front of you.  If teams were "better" then they would have competent replacements for injuries.
Seems rather subjective. I mean, I'm sure every team should have a replacement for their star. Just look at the Nationals getting a replacement for Bryce Harper. Or the Mets replacing their rotation with top 10 pitchers.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #131: September 20, 2017, 01:31:48 PM »
Seems rather subjective. I mean, I'm sure every team should have a replacement for their star. Just look at the Nationals getting a replacement for Bryce Harper. Or the Mets replacing their rotation with top 10 pitchers.

That's true.  But I'm not the one trying to validate my "objectivity."  You are.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #132: September 20, 2017, 01:40:19 PM »
That's true.  But I'm not the one trying to validate my "objectivity."  You are.
The process is already subjective. It should be done in a more defined and statistically sound way.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #133: September 20, 2017, 01:57:24 PM »
The process is already subjective. It should be done in a more defined and statistically sound way.

Good luck with that.

The great thing about sports is that the "better" teams are defined by wins and losses within contrived divisions.  If you want home field "advantage" win more games and win your division.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #134: September 20, 2017, 02:04:38 PM »
AFC north seems pretty big, same with the NFC north. AFC east was before the pats made it boring

The AFC west has very heated rivalries as well.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #135: September 20, 2017, 02:06:56 PM »

The AFC west has very heated rivalries as well.

It's still contrived.  Rivalries will develop between good teams regardless of division status.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136: September 20, 2017, 02:07:55 PM »
Actually thinking about this more, I wonder if best record is best way to do home-field in the WS. THe leagues are vastly different. The idea of the All-Star game is good in theory. Except that the All Star game is not the determinant of which is the best league. I would like to go to a system where best record by league in interleague decided World Series homefield. It's a lot a games so a big sample size, and probbaly does determine which is the better league. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #137: September 20, 2017, 02:12:45 PM »
Actually thinking about this more, I wonder if best record is best way to do home-field in the WS. THe leagues are vastly different. The idea of the All-Star game is good in theory. Except that the All Star game is not the determinant of which is the best league. I would like to go to a system where best record by league in interleague decided World Series homefield. It's a lot a games so a big sample size, and probbaly does determine which is the better league. 

Honestly, the best way is the old way, go back and forth between the leagues and eliminate inter-league play.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #138: September 20, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »
Hasn't inter-league play improved the NL?

Honestly, the best way is the old way, go back and forth between the leagues and eliminate inter-league play.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #139: September 20, 2017, 02:30:43 PM »
There is no perfect system. Which league is better isn't relevant. You've got two teams from each league with the top four records and have basically been the four best teams all season. I have no problem using a 162 game sample in determining which team gets HFA, with preference given to division winners.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140: September 20, 2017, 02:34:12 PM »
It's still contrived.  Rivalries will develop between good teams regardless of division status.

The Colts and Patriots had a pretty Good rivalry for a long time. The Packers and Seahawks are developing one now. If you didn't have divisions which takes up 40 percent of the schedule, these teams could play each other more often and nurture these other rivalries. Who cares if the bears and the vikings have played 150 times? They both suck now.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #141: September 20, 2017, 02:37:30 PM »
Hasn't inter-league play improved the NL?

We exchanged the Brewers for the Astros.  :shrug:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #142: September 20, 2017, 02:50:34 PM »
What I've said is that, for the World Series, take the cumulative interleague record of each league.  If the AL wins more games v. the NL head-to-head, then they get home field for the WS, and if the NL does, then they get home field. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #143: September 20, 2017, 02:51:39 PM »
We exchanged the Brewers for the Astros.  :shrug:
I still don't understand why the Brewers just didn't go back to the AL instead of the Astros.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144: September 20, 2017, 02:53:14 PM »
I still don't understand why the Brewers just didn't go back to the AL instead of the Astros.
If this were still the imposter game day thread, I'd post some sort of _Sturt_ rant about McLeanCrane, then maybe some sort of picture I designed to capture my love of the Nats.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #145: September 20, 2017, 02:55:42 PM »
What I've said is that, for the World Series, take the cumulative interleague record of each league.  If the AL wins more games v. the NL head-to-head, then they get home field for the WS, and if the NL does, then they get home field. 

That would work too.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146: September 20, 2017, 03:01:42 PM »
Standings for home field - All MLB

Team      Record GB             Clinched Division?
1. Dodgers   96-55   ---         No  (D-backs 9.5 GB)
2. Cleveland 94-57     2             Yes
3. Houston    92-58    3.5          Yes
4. :w:           91-59     4.5         Yes 
5.  Boston     87-64     9           No  (NYY 3 GB)
6.  ChiCubs   84-66    11.5         No (Mil 3.5 GB, St L 6 GB)

Tragic numbers for :w: - for 1st - 8, for 2d - 10, for 3d - 12.
Magic numbers for :w:  - for NL Central - 6, for AL East - 8.

with every division leader winning last night except the Dodgers, all make up 1 game in the best record standing and all magic / tragic numbers drop by 1 except v. the Dodgers.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #147: September 20, 2017, 03:46:54 PM »
The Colts and Patriots had a pretty Good rivalry for a long time. The Packers and Seahawks are developing one now. If you didn't have divisions which takes up 40 percent of the schedule, these teams could play each other more often and nurture these other rivalries. Who cares if the bears and the vikings have played 150 times? They both suck now.

They both may suck, but their fans still care. Good teams will always have interesting games, it's keeping fans of mediocre or terrible teams interested that's the problem and divisions help that

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148: September 20, 2017, 04:15:24 PM »

The Brewers wanted to stay because of all of those guaranteed home sellouts with the Cubs and Cards. No team really wants to switch leagues though. But The Rangers wanted a team in its own time zone and they had Houston over a barrel because they mad it a condition of the sale to Jim Crane, who desperately wanted to own a baseball team.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #149: September 20, 2017, 04:45:10 PM »
The Brewers wanted to stay because of all of those guaranteed home sellouts with the Cubs and Cards. No team really wants to switch leagues A SECOND TIME though.