Author Topic: Catching the Dodgers  (Read 6891 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Catching the Dodgers
« Topic Start: September 10, 2017, 07:12:06 PM »
Looks like the Dodgers are losing again and the Nats will be just four games back. Do the Nats have a chance to catch them, especially since they play in three games in DC next week?

Offline WVUGold

Re: Catching the Dodgers
« Reply #1: September 10, 2017, 07:15:14 PM »
Honestly don't want to. Would rather play Cubs than the Diamondbacks. They may be tanking for that reason  :shock:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2: September 10, 2017, 07:15:18 PM »
I suggested this was a possibility a while ago and was laughed at. If the Nats take 2 of 3, they will have the tiebreaker and a easier schedule. It is a possibility.  The question is, do the bats want to play the wild card winner of the cubs in the NLDS?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3: September 10, 2017, 07:18:06 PM »
Honestly don't want to. Would rather play Cubs than the Diamondbacks. They may be tanking for that reason  :shock:

No team loses this many games as a tanking exercise. There is something up with the Dodgers. I think they likely fix it, but they aren’t doing it on purpose. The wildcard game is a crapshoot. It means burning your Ace for the next series. It puts you at a decided disadvantage. I dont think it’s an easy decision.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #4: September 10, 2017, 07:20:47 PM »
Of course they have a chance now. Could still get the Cubs/Dbacks in the WC game. Or maybe even the Dodgers in that game (wouldn't that be something!) There's suddenly a lot of uncertainty in the NL race.

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #5: September 10, 2017, 07:20:56 PM »
No team loses this many games as a tanking exercise. There is something up with the Dodgers. I think they likely fix it, but they aren’t doing it on purpose. The wildcard game is a crapshoot. It means burning your Ace for the next series. It puts you at a decided disadvantage. I dont think it’s an easy decision.

The Diamondbacks top 4 starters are all at 3.33 ERA or lower so burning their ace won't mean much. I'd much rather face the Cubs.

Offline Optics

« Reply #6: September 10, 2017, 07:26:45 PM »
I'd rather focus on making sure we're healthy going into October. Keep doing what you're doing Dusty, playing bench guys and 6 man rotation, and make sure the starting pitching is lined up going into Game 1 of the NLDS. Home field means absolutely nothing.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #7: September 10, 2017, 07:27:56 PM »
Home field means absolutely nothing.

Except to fans who enjoy being at the ballpark for playoff games...

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #8: September 10, 2017, 07:29:20 PM »
Dodgers lost again. Woof. 8-1 against the Rockies. The dodgers are broken.

They've had a very weak offense since the all-Star break, ranking 13th of 15 in team batting average, team OPS and total runs, and 14th in hits. They were middle of the pack pre-ASB. Their pitching has been carrying them all year but now their pitching is fizzling and it's really hard to win when you're giving up 4 runs or more every night.

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #9: September 10, 2017, 07:33:28 PM »
It's baffling that the Dodgers have gone downhill like this. It's even more surprising that the Nats are the first team in the NL to clinch.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #10: September 10, 2017, 07:36:14 PM »
It's baffling that the Dodgers have gone downhill like this. It's even more surprising that the Nats are the first team in the NL to clinch.

Pretty easy to figure out, actually:

Offline rileyn

« Reply #11: September 10, 2017, 08:22:28 PM »
Except to fans who enjoy being at the ballpark for playoff games...
And listening to constant "Metro sucks" talk and how our fans being forced to leave games in the 7th inning if they want to get home.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #12: September 10, 2017, 08:27:51 PM »
And listening to constant "Metro sucks" talk and how our fans being forced to leave games in the 7th inning if they want to get home.

We'll be playing afternoon games in the NLDS, and perhaps the NLCS...if we ever get there.  And if by some stroke of luck we actually made it to the WS, I'm sure the Mayor would find a way to keep Metro open...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13: September 10, 2017, 09:22:29 PM »
We'll be playing afternoon games in the NLDS, and perhaps the NLCS...if we ever get there.  And if by some stroke of luck we actually made it to the WS, I'm sure the Mayor would find a way to keep Metro open...

Wiedefeld said last year during SafeTrack that he would have made an exception for the WS (and only the WS). Now that it’s over, I bet they will keep it open late. If the Nats make it.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #14: September 10, 2017, 10:48:16 PM »

Afternoon  is good

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15: September 10, 2017, 11:30:45 PM »
For those of us with jobs, afternoon games aren’t great.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #16: September 11, 2017, 08:11:02 AM »
For those of us who have to get up early in the morning (i.e. "those of us with jobs")  8:40 start times aren't great either.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #17: September 11, 2017, 08:22:22 AM »
For those of us who have to get up early in the morning (i.e. "those of us with jobs")  8:40 start times aren't great either.
Both of you:  NANF

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #18: September 11, 2017, 09:20:05 AM »
Hope to catch a couple of the games.    I figure if I see at least two games, Dusty and Dave will play most of the starters at some point.    Might even get to see a top notch starter.

Offline Optics

« Reply #19: September 11, 2017, 10:02:43 AM »

I think its normalization. The Dodgers are good but they were on pace to win the most games ever, they aren't THAT good. I never got that vibe from them. They were due to regress. Baseball has a way of doing that.

I'm not sure we'll catch them because I don't think Dusty prioritizes it(see yesterday's lineup), but we'll see if he change if we get a game or two closer going into the weekend series.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #20: September 11, 2017, 10:08:02 AM »
A little off topic, but while Dusty is using Team B and Team C a lot, he is more animated. He conveys more urgency.  Maybe that's just being a good manager.

I think its normalization. The Dodgers are good but they were on pace to win the most games ever, they aren't THAT good. I never got that vibe from them. They were due to regress. Baseball has a way of doing that.

I'm not sure we'll catch them because I don't think Dusty prioritizes it(see yesterday's lineup), but we'll see if he change if we get a game or two closer going into the weekend series.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #21: September 11, 2017, 10:08:11 AM »

Plan B, get two screens so one can run the Gameday.  Then catch the last inning or two with C&D on the way home.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #22: September 11, 2017, 10:08:52 AM »

That's my view also. They weren't an all time great team. Just going through the inevitable slump. Also it's hard to keep your focus when that far ahead.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #23: September 11, 2017, 10:14:45 AM »
I'm not sure we'll catch them because I don't think Dusty prioritizes it(see yesterday's lineup),

Well we won with that lineup.  I think Dusty can give as much rest as he want to and we'll win two-thirds of our remaining games.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #24: September 11, 2017, 10:47:55 AM »
They are the only team to win 15 of 16 and lose 15 of 16 in the same season... ever.  I find that somewhat Twilight Zone-ish, don't you?